T Nation

Bentover Row on a Smith Machine???

I saw a trainer having his client do 1 arm rows, on smith machine, with hand and knee on a bench.

Am I crazy or is that trainer an idiot?

So the bench was parallel to the bar on the smith machine?

Well, it’s different then one arm DB rows.

That sounds like a pretty stupid use of a smith machine.

Why not just do DB rows? Too dangerous?

Dumbells lead to holding hands, and holding hands leads to kissing and kissing can get you PREGNANT.

He’s been reading Muscle and Fitness too much. One of the recent issues had that in there for an exercise, can’t remember why it was listed to begin with.

I dunno man, as a trainer there are three things I would go out of my way to smack a person for (especially trainers):

  1. What you just said, unless there’s a damn good reason.

  2. Shrugs. Oh my God. Anytime I want to use a Smith Machine for a heavy press in absence of a trustworthy spotter, it’s 9/10 times because some mook is doing shrugs to the front, from behind, and kneeling. Dumbbells are in abundance in my gym, and we even have a shrug machine.

  3. Anyone who puts barbell weight clamps on the bar. That kills more brain cells to me than a handle of vodka.

Didn’t mean to go hijacking there, but that guy just made the list.

If it were Bent-Over BB rows in the smith, I’d say they’re fine… (If plenty of DC trainees use these with success, then you better shut up)

But doing what you described seems a little over the top here…
Besides, Kroc rows > “good form” DB rows.

[quote]dmunro wrote:
Dumbells lead to holding hands, and holding hands leads to kissing and kissing can get you PREGNANT.[/quote]

lol

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
So the bench was parallel to the bar on the smith machine?

Well, it’s different then one arm DB rows.[/quote]

Yes, bench parraell to the bar.

while I’m on my rant, hee hee, is the domain halfrepheroes.com taken?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
If it were Bent-Over BB rows in the smith, I’d say they’re fine… (If plenty of DC trainees use these with success, then you better shut up)

But doing what you described seems a little over the top here…
Besides, Kroc rows > “good form” DB rows.

[/quote]

anyone ever do Waterbury rows?

[quote]thefranchise_86 wrote:
He’s been reading Muscle and Fitness too much. One of the recent issues had that in there for an exercise, can’t remember why it was listed to begin with.

[/quote]

Yah these magazines really suck. A friend of mine (girl) had a lifting magazine for women. In one of the tutorials on movements they were showing a girl doing dumbbell bench press on one of those big balls with her shoulder thrown waayyyy forward at the top of the movement… uggg… so painful and such bad advice.

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
If it were Bent-Over BB rows in the smith, I’d say they’re fine… (If plenty of DC trainees use these with success, then you better shut up)

But doing what you described seems a little over the top here…
Besides, Kroc rows > “good form” DB rows.

anyone ever do Waterbury rows?
[/quote]

Love 'em. had done them with kettlebells before seeing them here. Nice feel to them

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Meni69 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
If it were Bent-Over BB rows in the smith, I’d say they’re fine… (If plenty of DC trainees use these with success, then you better shut up)

But doing what you described seems a little over the top here…
Besides, Kroc rows > “good form” DB rows.

anyone ever do Waterbury rows?

Love 'em. had done them with kettlebells before seeing them here. Nice feel to them[/quote]

cool, maybe i’ll try them next workout

I’ve done standing rows with both hands in the Smith, but see no point in what that trainer is advocating.

I think the best advice I’ve ever given a newbie is: “stay away from gym trainers” I’ve yet to see one with any brains, or a physique better than most guys I knew had in junior high.

Now if you like bosu balls…

i have used them for bent over rows, however i’ve decided i dont really like them when compared with just a barbell, dumbbells at my gym are to light now to do anything but high rep sets.

some of the trainers that have been at my gym i am thankful for as they have helped me with a lot, especially when starting out. However there are ones at my gym that don’t know anything.

They actually offered me a position at the gym last week which i politely turned down as I already spend enough time there during the week lol