Bent Over Rows - Lower Back Pain

I did a chest and back workout last night.
I did 8 sets of 3 of bench press followed by 8 sets of 3 of Bent over Rows.
I know that during the bent over rows my posture probably wasn’t 100% as during one of the last few sets I felt a slight pain in my lower back which made me drop the weight.
I felt ok after my workout but during the night I every time I turned around my back was killing me. I just about got out of bed this morning and walked to the bottom of the stairs, when I got to the bottom I felt a sharp pain in my lower back which lasted about a minute and I was unable to move.
Has this happened to anybody else? are there any exceises I can do to fix this?
Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Jay

[quote]jay711 wrote:
are there any exceises I can do to fix this?
Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Jay[/quote]

It probably means there is a weakness in your lower back, which I’m sure you figured out already :wink: There are tons of lower back exercises and stretches you can do!

Are you using a full ROM? Do you have to cheat or jerk the weight up?

I have had this happen too.
I do have some little things wrong with my back due to a fall years ago.
The pain usually goes away and rarely comes back, but sometimes I had to goto the chiropractor…ugh!

I also bought an inversion table at a garage sale. I like it, seems to work pretty good and I asked a different chiropractor about them and he said they were good to use in conjuntion with other things.
Good luck to you!
-Brian.

I live with chronic lower back issues. Over time you’ll find ways to train that don’t aggravate the area as much.

First thing I’d tell you is to lighten your load on rows and go for higher reps. Maintain you form.

A chiropractor should be part of your bodybuilding plan.

I’m a young guy, but I definitely have lower back issues. Solution for me: Flameout!
I definitely feel a difference between taking it and not taking it. And on a day when I hurt my back at the gym, I’ll up my dosage for sure (taking a total of 6 flameouts in a day, split up into 3 pairs, one around noon, one mid-afternoon, one before bed).
dan

Agree. Sets of 3, unless your form is perfect, is too heavy a load. I used to do bent over rows when I was younger but now I find the low back stress is not worth the gains when there are so many other exercise options. I don’t do them at all now.

I have chronic back issues and find that I must build up to heavy weights over four to six sets. Any time I forget this rule I’m in pain for a few weeks.

Heating pads, hot showers (especially with a massage showerhead) and long back rubs/massages will do wonders, sometimes using an elliptical trainer at an easy pace will loosen things up. If the muscles are spasming Skelaxin works wonders and most doctors will prescribe huge bottles of the stuff because its non-narcotic.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

First thing I’d tell you is to lighten your load on rows and go for higher reps. Maintain you form.

Agree. Sets of 3, unless your form is perfect, is too heavy a load. I used to do bent over rows when I was younger but now I find the low back stress is not worth the gains when there are so many other exercise options. I don’t do them at all now.[/quote]

He should be doing the 8 sets of 3 with the same weight he could do 3 sets of 8, So it shouldn’t be a loading issue.

How much are you putting on BB rows?

Agreed on BBB’s advice; sure a BB row is way more hardcore than a T-bar row, but it’s very easy to cheat on the first. You could wear a belt.

also agree with BBB. my lower back is fucked, and i have tried bent over rows. i find my legs and low back in pain for days after so i had to quit them completely. thus, i find chest supported rows to be much better for me.

just really make sure youre tucking your elbows in and pulling with your true back muscles, squeezing tight. i know when i was younger i followed what the older guys were doing when i saw them doing rows and they would throw their whole body into it like they were taking it in the ass from the invisible man. makes my back fuckin hurt thinking about it

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Why not just support the chest? It should reduce the load on the back almost completely.

BBB[/quote]

2x After my incident, I rarely go over 225 on the BB bent-over row and do t-bar rows with nothing more than 6 plates, and added the entire line of hammer strength supported row leverage machines to my back day to make up for whatever I lose by not going as heavy as I used to.

They are good because the chest is supported, the pump is nutrageous, and low back issues are diminished. Strengthen the lower back, stabilize it whenever your doing bent over movements, or incorporate more machine supported rows.

coughKroc-Rowscough.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
coughKroc-Rowscough.
[/quote]

Good to remind those. I found a gym with the heaviest dumbbells up here… 120. I know it sucks, but i’ll start a kroc rows max thread next week.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
coughKroc-Rowscough.

Good to remind those. I found a gym with the heaviest dumbbells up here… 120. I know it sucks, but i’ll start a kroc rows max thread next week.[/quote]

Just buy a custom bell handle, really… I’ve never seen a gym with DB’s over 220lbs…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
coughKroc-Rowscough.

Good to remind those. I found a gym with the heaviest dumbbells up here… 120. I know it sucks, but i’ll start a kroc rows max thread next week.

Just buy a custom bell handle, really… I’ve never seen a gym with DB’s over 220lbs…

[/quote]

Thnx, well it’d be 2 for chest& shoulders because my default gym doesn’t have a pair higher than the 70’s.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
coughKroc-Rowscough.

Thnx, well it’d be 2 for chest& shoulders because my default gym doesn’t have a pair higher than the 70’s.[/quote]

Ouch. I guess one could do spider-curls with a slow negative with that, or maybe weld the two 70’s and the two 65’s together to get one mega-bell or so :wink:

Dunno where to get such handles in North America, check matt K’s log at elitefts… He may have mentioned where he got his equipment from.

Gotta say though, I’m not sure if that solution would work well for shoulder presses. You still need to kick the 'bells up while holding them in a neutral position (or your training partners would likely hold them vertically while lifting them up at first), and chances are that the plates will come loose then…

You could try rows in a smith machine, too. Less stress on the back because the weight is moving in a straight line.

You could also consider rowing with the torso at 45 degrees. Or even closer to vertical than that. Yates did them, and Coleman does them, at only about 20 degrees off vertical. (Which for some reason many call “70 degrees” even though they would not call vertical “90 degrees.”)

45 degrees though is enough to greatly reduce stress on the lower back without greatly changing the fundamentals of the exercise.

Wear a belt if you need to, and also train your lower back.