Bent Over Row Help

Quick question, is the correct execution of a bent over row with your back at 45 degrees or 90 degrees (i.e. parallel to floor)?

Also, my grip isn’t strong enough to give my back a challenge so I use the grip where palms are facing opposite directions (one away and one towards me). Is that allowed?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:
Quick question, is the correct execution of a bent over row with your back at 45 degrees or 90 degrees (i.e. parallel to floor)?

Also, my grip isn’t strong enough to give my back a challenge so I use the grip where palms are facing opposite directions (one away and one towards me). Is that allowed?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I think at 90 degrees, you’re putting your back at risk. I always do barbell rows around 60-70 degrees, but I can’t be 100% on the angle there. There’s plenty of articles and video out there that you can use as a reference though.

However, I do not think you should ever be mixing your grip on rows. If you grip is weak, then just use straps as your grip tires out.

If youre mixing grip on rows be sure to alternate it. I think it would be more important for this than deadlifts.

Use straps or get some chalk. Personally, I stay pretty close to parallel and drop the bar between reps. But that’s not the only way to do it.

Mixing gri[p is no good for rows it WILL cause an imbalance.

Who uses the exact same weight for all sets ? I sure as hell know i do not use straight sets the majority of the time.
So on set 1 the LHS bicep gets more work with 60%1RM, on set 2 the RHS bicep gets more work with a 70%1RM and so on…

Joe

Ok, thanks.

btw, I do alternate my grip with each set for balance and perform it in a 5x5 fashion using as heavy as I can for those 5 reps. But I’ve been doing them with 45 degree angle, and I’ve seen some articles and youtube vids that have referred to rows where the back is parallel. I’ve also seen this referred to as the pendlay? row.

P.S. I do use the same weight for each set, only change weight if i can comfortably execute all 5 sets with 5 reps.

I dont know about the pendlay row vader, i havent heard of it. i do know both variations are decent and should be used in a rotation. They hit slightly different areas of the back.

As for the mixed grip… straight sets is better, you should make sure for no problems you alternate the grip set to set and also session to session, so one week starting with the left supinated, and the next week starting with the right supinated.
See…?

If i were you i would do the Yates row where the hands are both supinated and you row into the stomach at a 45 degree angle.
And/Or use starps, i do and i will never go back now…

:wink:

Starps? I use Starps but you should use straps…

I’m doing Rippetoe’s and I use the 90 degree Pendlay Row.

There’s a good description of the Pendlay Row and links to videos on the bodybuilding.com site that outlines Rippetoe’s program:
http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

The video with the best form, as explained by the author of the thread is:

If you try these, I’m guessing your grip shouldn’t be too much of an issue, as you deload after each rep.

Personally, I would never consider using a mixed grip for rows. It just doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

As Joe said, use chalk or starps. ; ) But use them (straps) ONLY when you can’t grip any longer. They easily become a crutch you can’t break free from since your back will progress and your grip will not. I’ve seen guys using straps for 135lb stiff-leg DL. This is just unecessary.

Chalk is my suggestion and it’s helped me overcome grip issues without resorting to straps. Strap use is what caused an imbalance in my grip vs strength to begin with.

I would also suggest grip work so you don’t have to THINK about losing your grip in the middle of a set. This always killed my concentration and the set ends up sub-par.

cueball

Try pre-exhaustion. I can feel bent rows much better if I’ve hit pullups first.

I think 90 degree Pendlay rows are the best, because they actually work your lats. Your lower back should be strong enough to support anything you can row–it’s pretty easy to deadlift 400+ lbs, but doing Pendlay rows with 315 is a major feat IMO. For most people, 45 degree rows just devolve into shrugs with air-hump.

I can’t see how one could do a decent barbell row with a staggered grip and I have NEVER EVER seen or heard this done. My advice is if you have a weak grip, then work on your grip and forearms. Using straps will just worsen your balance between forearm/grip and back strength. Yes to chalk. If you can do underhand grip rows, do those, and then eventually progress to overhand.

I did this with chin variations. Once, I was not too good at doing overhand pullups so I used a supinated grip. From there, I progressed to neutral grip, and then from neutral to overhand.

You can use 45 or 90 degrees. Dorian, who had the best back ever, used a 45 degree angle. I have never seen anyone use a perfect 90 degree angle except Franco Columbu. Most people do it at about 45 to 60.

Get a stronger grip. Do farmers walks, pinch gripping work and when you deadlift, hold the bar as long as you can for your last rep of the day or last rep of the second to last and last sets.

I think it can also depend on your hamstrings re how far you bend over…ie flexibility and strength. Well maybe it’s just me but i tend to really feel a stretch in mine when doing rows.

Anyone else get that bizarre thing with your fingers after you put the bar back. You get stuck in that monkey claw position and need the other hand to stretch it out. It also happens with straight leg deadlifts…anyone…anyone…

nope…

I bend my knees more with the 90 degree version, as my hams wouldn’t allow me to do shit otherwise! My flexibility really blows…

No to mixed grip. Only use straps if you honestly can no longer hold the bar (not when it’s hard, but when can no longer physically do it).

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I do both. As I get heavier, I go higher. They both hit different parts of the back. If you need more upper thickness use a 45 degree angle. It worked for me just check out my pic on my profile.

Joe…don’t know about you but after lifting for an hour or hour and a half the last thing i want to do is 30 mins of stretching…i know i should and i do with legs to a degree.

It would be nice to have one of those ice baths in your gym. Usually more orientated towards post aerobic activity but would it not help your muscles after a tough weight training session too? I’m asking really…as my knowledge re muscle recovery is not up to par.

uh… little off topic… but ya athletes do that shit all the time, Paula Radcliffe comes to mind, she has a cold shower after every run apparently. Alot of fitness clubs have a cold shower, and some have a douche bucket. For the bags… :wink:

But yeah, stretching is shit… i try to do it during sets of that muscle worked now for the fascia stretching theory… every little helps!! But i definitely do too little, and as i get bigger it is making my ROMs very bad… i notice it in the shower mostly, i cannot wash my back at all… i struggle to wash under my chin and the back of my neck!It is tight reaching under my armpits with the opposite arm even.

Like i said in another thread, i am becoming “muscle bound” woe is me!! ;p lol!

Apologies for going off topic…i was posting in the DOMS thread and i suppose it came into my head. I used play rugby (and still do to a degree) and those ice baths were hell but they definitely helped.
Now i’m way off topic…

For grip purposes i have a mate who swears by those little square rubber or wetsuit type pieces of material. You place them in each palm. You still need to grip hard but it seems to ease the stress on the forearms a bit so you can concentrate on your back. I used them for pull ups and i got a few more reps than usual. He uses them for everything bar biceps, might be a useful tool.