T Nation

Bent Over Barbell Rows

Has anyone seen Arnold performing these in “the making of pumping iron”?

I just watched it and looks really effective but I do not recall seeing anyone do these in this manner at any gym.

I do mine dorian yates style, the way he did them in his video"blood and guts." Bentover and held very rigid at 70 degrees, pronated shoulderwith grip, and elbows flared.

how do you guys perform yours?

I do mine with my back parallel to the floor, my elbows flared, and my bench grip.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1128813959773.nate_row.jpg

This is how I do mine.

It’s the antagonist to the bench press. Same grip, same hand spacing, try to keep your body as parallel to the ground as possible, although this isn’t 100% necessary. There are many pictures of people performing these with an angle as high as 45 degrees. I do them at about 20 degrees.

This is a great exercise that many old time lifters get nostalgic about. I always find that whenever a coach talks about them they usually say something about the good old days heh. This is my favorite exercise.

Nate: that looks a little bit too extreme to me. I’m 191cm tall so I have a long back, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to put all the stress on the lower back!

I stand at about 40degrees. You just have to remember that the more upright you stand, the more your traps are brought into the movement.

I use an underhand grip and pull the bar more to my lower rib cage.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Nate: that looks a little bit too extreme to me. I’m 191cm tall so I have a long back, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to put all the stress on the lower back!
[/quote]

yeah I dont do them as much as Id like because my lower back does not like them… . I feel it there far more than deadlifting even. …

in the arnold video he actually went BELOW parellal at the start of each rep and would end up parrell at the end of each rep.

he was doing 135lbs and was standing on a wood block, so plates would not touch the ground. He was using a wide grip and barbell to upper abs…

it seemed to be working his upper back and rear delts…

i might try these next work out and see where I get sore compared to my yates style rows that I am currently doing.

Dorian Yates’ style is the shit!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
This is how I do mine.[/quote]

nice pooper (oh snap, did i just type that?)

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
It’s the antagonist to the bench press. Same grip, same hand spacing, try to keep your body as parallel to the ground as possible, although this isn’t 100% necessary.[/quote]

When super setting with the bench press (i.e. ABBH), I do it this way as well. Otherwise, as a “stand alone” exercise (i.e. OLAD), the Yates Row gets my vote.

Apropos votes: Anyone else want the most recent forum posts back on the main page? Vote NOW on the “New Format!” thread. [/campaign mode]

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
This is how I do mine.[/quote]

Same here.

I’m only 5’8", so there’s not that much stress on the lower back. An advantage to being short, at last! :slight_smile:

What’s the yates version?

[quote]Sxio wrote:
What’s the yates version? [/quote]

Basically, you are only bent over by 45 degrees and pull to the middle or upper abdominal area.

I do mine a a variety of angles, grip widths and grips. They are all realy good. Lately I’ve been a big fan of the angled shrugs too. Great for loading up a bunch of weigth on the scapular retractors.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1128869913937.nate_row_1.jpg

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Nate: that looks a little bit too extreme to me. I’m 191cm tall so I have a long back, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to put all the stress on the lower back![/quote]

It works for me. However, I will raise myself slightly higher when pulling (see above). I keep a very tight arch in my lower back, and it seems to work for me. I’ve tried to do them higher, but I can’t seem to stabilize my lower back correctly at a higher angle.

[quote]Bastard wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
This is how I do mine.

nice pooper (oh snap, did i just type that?)[/quote]

Maybe I’ll let you touch it when I see you Friday night. (I’m not gay. Really.)

[quote]Sxio wrote:
What’s the yates version? [/quote]

dorian yates style, the way he did them in his video"blood and guts." Bentover and held very rigid at 70 degrees, pronated shoulderwith grip, and elbows flared.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
Sxio wrote:
What’s the yates version?

dorian yates style, the way he did them in his video"blood and guts." Bentover and held very rigid at 70 degrees, pronated shoulderwith grip, and elbows flared. [/quote]

70? Seems like my post was off base by 25 degrees…

45 degrees and wide grip seems to be the way most pro bodybuilders are doing them these days.

Dorian’s way is a more upright torso and close grip. Here is the only picture I could find. He stopped doing underhand grip when he tore his bicep.