Ben's Training (The Stupid Thread 3)

I am considering using a log, or a football bar to get a neutral grip. The log has a bonus of looking bad ass.

I think next Monday, I’ll try that out. I am all about using variations that are nicer to my body. I squatted with a buffalo bar for a long time for shoulder issues too.

1 Like

Chins, bench and ohp are god tier mass promoters

No other exercises come close for creating that thick, juicy upper body

1 Like

How long u have been cutting now and how your maxes have changed(decreased?) so far?

I am trying to be efficient with my movements. I think the row is pretty solid too.

I want to get the chin close to reps with +100 lbs.

Rows are great man but they don’t visually enhance the physique like 100+ daily chins do

Train like a prisoner in a cell my man

1 Like

Cutting about 2-3 weeks now. I am down to about 195 lbs in the morning. I haven’t tested maxes in awhile. Bench is all F’ed up still. I think there I have maybe 335 (have done a few singles at 315). Still recovering from what I believe was a nerve issue. My previous best was 385. Squat is about the same from what I have seen in training (about 440 lbs). I wasn’t quite as developed on squats though. I have done 507 in wraps, but I don’t think I have ever done much more than 440 in sleeves. Deadlift my best is 600. I am thinking 585 (or 6 plates) is still there.

I am starting to feel stronger on rows though. Maybe best I have been. Chins are also strong, but I am moving a lower body weight. I am slowly progressing those (not going all out).

1 Like

I cant do rows, they pump my lower back so hard, that when squat or deadlift day comes, i cant even stand up straight… they literally cripple my lower back with a pump that lasts for a week… i stopped doing rows and that shit fixed itself in a week and i have never had that problem ever since.

1 Like

I was doing 10x10 on chins for a while. I think that was a big contributor to my 600 lb pull.

I only row on non squat and deadlift days, so I have a full two nights of recovery. I tried super setting them on squat day, and learned in one day why that was a bad idea. So now I row on non squat and deadlift days (I’ll usually do a bit of chinning on these days too), and chin on squat and deadlift days.

1 Like

I do the same most days. Maybe a few more sets.

It’s free money my man. Chin like fuck, win like fuck.

1 Like

I have heard, I think Dave Tate, say that skipping chins would be like skipping bench as a powerlifter. He thought they had so much carryover to all three lifts. I think he also said that the chin was like the squat of the upper body.

1 Like

What kinda hand positions we talking here

Palms facing me (supinated). Shoulder width apart.

I seem to quickly get elbow issues with pull ups (palms facing away).

I do a bunch of neutral grip too, but we only have one spot for neutral grip in my gym, and it is kinda a shitty design (the handles are free to rotate). I wish they would lock in.

Absofuckinglutely brother

Chins - god tier lat spread

Ohp - capped delts

Steroid training for nattys my man.

If you don’t hammer these moves then you will most likely have a medium talent physique

1 Like

What kinda weight you hitting with them now?

I did 5x5 with 35 lbs last week. I am leaving some in the tank on these to leave room for progression. I am upping by 5 lbs a week for now. I will probably stall out about 60-70 lbs. I have done 8 reps with 50 lbs recently after 4 sets of 5.

1 Like

Back and delts / traps are IMO my best muscle groups. Still don’t think those ones can really be too big, unless one is a competitive BBer.

1 Like

Training for today:

Deadlift 545x1, 495x4,3,3
Weighted chin 40 5x5
Belt squat 275 3x10
Chins 10, 12, 20
Arms did them
Delts did them (side raises)

Weight was 200 even with shorts, tank top and shoes at the gym 5pm.

I think I’ll increase the top deadlift single by 5 lbs per week. For the second set of the main sets, I’ll go for 4 reps. On the weighted chins, next workout will be 45 lbs. Weighted chins occur twice a week, so those will build quickly.

That’s how I’ll progress for now on deadlift. Once I get to 5 reps, I’ll up the weight (thinking 525) and start at 3 reps again. Once I get to 50 on the chin, I’ll start progressing reps not weight.

Excited for July. Doing my best to hit 190 lbs. Then I can start the addition of tbol to my cruise of 200 mg/wk.

3 Likes

I could do this for 2 weeks and then my CNS would say “fuck off” and id be walking around like a zombie, starting at the wall for 10mins etc :smiley:

It would be under 90 percent for me (87.5 percent). I’m currently leaving reps in the tank. We will see how it goes though. Sleep for me can be tough if I’m lifting too heavy. If that happens I’ll adjust.

Don’t veer out of this lane.
You will possibly live with these joint decisons for decades.

2 Likes