T Nation

Benefits of Whole Meal Bread/Rice?

Does this offer much more nutrionally other than fibre? Was reading one of Dr. Jonny Bowden Question of Nutrition articles on T-Nation and he doesnt recon it does, along with dark rice.

I eat a fair amount of the stuff and I hate eating anything that doesnt offer much nutritional value i.e potatoes

What alternate sources do people like?

cheers if you can help.

who said potatoes aren't nutritious?

Read myth #2: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=nutrition&category=food.for.fitness&conitem=9ec90dc45b0e4110VgnVCM10000013281eac____&page=1

That doesnt say its nutritous, just says its not as bad if its unprocessed, still doesnt offer any great nutritional value compared to gi/gl

"white potatoes are higher in essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and potassium"

potatoes (as well as bread and rice) are fine carbs sources. eat up.

I eat sweet potatoes, pumpkin, brown rice and quinoa.

I sometimes have oatmeal before bed if I am hungry but I have it plain, 1/2cup and that works for me.

I agree that whole grain breads and rice aren't exactly nutrient-dense, but they sure are delicious.

And if the goal is fat loss, treat them as rewards that you better earn before you eat.

there's nothing in them that you can't get from fruits and veggies

"As for the glycemic index, sweet potatoes are lower on the scale, but baked white potatoes typically aren't eaten without cheese, sour cream, or butter. These toppings all contain fat, which lowers the glycemic index of a meal."

Great so just have potatoes topped with cheese sour cream and butter and you have yourself a healthy potato. Kinda like how hot girls go out with fat ones to make themselves look hotter.