T Nation

Benefits of Turkish Get-Ups?

are they good for anything? (i have a feeling they are) or are they just a party trick?

I hope some seasoned veterans post on this, because I know some high-level coaches that are a fan of them and I hear they do amazing things but… I’ve never experienced awesomeness from them.

I figure if I’m gonna hit my ‘core’ directly, I’ll do lying or standing leg raises.

I think their value is more related to sports than inducing hypertrophy or strength carryover in other lifts. I don’t think I’ve gained much if any size from them, but I feel stronger in my core when I’m rolling around on the mat (i train judo and braz. jiu jitsu).

I think they’re handy in circut training, full body workouts where the goal is high metabolic demand. Also probably useful as a warmup drill.

[quote]mchron wrote:
I think they’re handy in circut training, full body workouts where the goal is high metabolic demand. Also probably useful as a warmup drill.[/quote]

Funny, I generally don’t include them in circuits, due to the negative effects of fatigue on technique. Also, I think it’s too “big” of an exercise to include in most circuits because it would slow the entire circuit down. I prefer a slower TGU rep, taking a full 5-10 seconds to go from lying flat to standing upright and back down to lying.

I do like them as part of a warm-up sometimes, especially for targeting/loosening up the shoulder area. I especially like them with kettlebells a bit better than dumbbells, because the lopsided pull involves more shoulder work. I have yet to experiment with a barbell TGU, but it’s on my list of wacky stuff to try.

1/2 TGUs (just from lying to sitting up) are pretty much a totally different exercise, but those will kill your abs. And speaking of related exercises, one I heard Jack Lalanne talk about is like a TGU, but you can’t use any hands to help yourself up. Lie down, cross both arms over your chest, and stand up (no using elbows either). Try it out. It’s challenging and you’ll feel extremely spastic, but it’s fun.