T Nation

Benefits of Neutral Grip Pull-ups?


#1

Is there anything special about doing neutral grip pull-ups? What I mean by that is there any added benefit from doing this exercise that differentiates it from regular pull-ups and/or chin-ups. Personally, I only do regular chin-ups and pull-ups so I'm debating if I should try neutral grip.


#2

I only do neutral grip because it is easier on my shoulders. I just see it as variety - regular, neutral and chins that you can choose from.


#3

neutral being underhand or overhand?


#4

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
I only do neutral grip because it is easier on my shoulders. I just see it as variety - regular, neutral and chins that you can choose from.[/quote]

Yes. Much easier on the shoulders


#5

[quote]sjoconn wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
I only do neutral grip because it is easier on my shoulders. I just see it as variety - regular, neutral and chins that you can choose from.

Yes. Much easier on the shoulders[/quote]

True. And it works your biceps more.


#6

[quote]skohcl wrote:
neutral being underhand or overhand?[/quote]

Neutral being neutral!

The same grip you would use for hammer curls if that helps?


#7

[quote]skohcl wrote:
neutral being underhand or overhand?[/quote]

Obviously joking, right?


#8

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:
sjoconn wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
I only do neutral grip because it is easier on my shoulders. I just see it as variety - regular, neutral and chins that you can choose from.

Yes. Much easier on the shoulders

True. And it works your biceps more.
[/quote]

x 2

Do tons on neutral grip pull-ups with just BW and have seen my weighted “normal” pull-ups skyrocket.


#9

The more suprinate your wrists are, the stronger your biceps are. The biceps are weakest when using a pronated grip and strongest when using a supianted grip. The “neutral” grip is just somewhere in between. The issue when pulling is that the biceps generally fatigue faster than the lats, so the lats will get a better workout if the biceps last longer. When using a neutral grip, you’ll work the lats better than while using a pronated grip, but not as good as while using a supinated grip.