T Nation

Benefits of Making Only One Muscle Stronger?

I don’t understand the use of every muscle outside of the gym and would like your help.

This is a silly thread but I hope I can learn a bit from it.

1- If you were to take your average untrained person, and you helped them double the strength of only one muscle, aside from the obvious imbalance this would bring and possible resulting problems, what could change in that person’s physical abilities?

For example, stronger glutes -> more powerful sprint stride
stronger calves -> no idea what benefit unless they were too weak already
stronger quadricep -> better at lifting people from the ground and throwing them in a wrestling fight?

2- If you expand question #1 to possibly include 2-3 muscles at once, what would be the benefits?

ex:
triceps + pecs -> better at pushing cars stuck in snow, or human beings…
bicep + rombhoids (I think) -> better at catching your loved one falling off a balcony and pulling them back up

More food for thought would be: what muscles would you need to improve your abilities in a given situation.

As for me, I have no idea in particular what major difference strengthening these muscles would bring in practice/nature:
calves, obliques, hamstrings (their difference from quads), various parts of the shoulder apart from the middle one, trapezius, that third abdominal muscle used to squeeze in your stomach, lats… especially lats. We use them for pull ups, but IMO the more natural movement is the chin up, but maybe for rock climbing?

I know some of them look freaking obvious - but I am not asking what they are used for now - I am asking what benefit you would gain if they were twice as strong. Answering that for that third abdominal muscle is pretty hard IMO. Same for the tongue, for example.

Come on, indulge me… thanks!

Your an idiot, please do not post here again!

Reason: you think a stronger quad will help you left someone off the ground!

Quads are used in squatting and deadlifting, so I figured they play a role in such an act. Feel free to correct me.

I do mean throwing someone more like in a bear hug than above the head…

ROFLMFAO.

this needs like a quad-facepalm. if that’s even physically possible.

Bodybuilders don’t get big for practicality.

[quote]Beltshumeltz wrote:
Come on, indulge me… thanks![/quote]

No

[quote]Beltshumeltz wrote:
Quads are used in squatting and deadlifting, so I figured they play a role in such an act. Feel free to correct me.

I do mean throwing someone more like in a bear hug than above the head… [/quote]

What the hell are you talking about man…seriously go now before a expert flamer reads this thread and you can’t walk for a week because you got anal raped by a massive cyberspace dick!

This relates to bodybuilding. Thank you for posting it here and not in GAL.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
Beltshumeltz wrote:

I do mean throwing someone more like in a bear hug than above the head…

What the hell are you talking about man…seriously go now before a expert flamer reads this thread and you can’t walk for a week because you got anal raped by a massive cyberspace dick![/quote]

No worries, I’m either an Internet veteran, or over 12 years old, you guess… I reaaaaaaaaally don’t care if someone else gets angry at his keyboard. If people get enraged and drool in anger all over their keyboard about a SOMEONE BEING WRONG! (how unlikely, I know) about something, that is their issue.

Or, you could point me out to where I’m wrong. The more I read, the less I’m sure of having made a mistake… I take it people take issue with claiming the deadlift builds quads. Who knows though.

I checked http://www.exrx.net/ and I was wrong about the deadlift, it isn’t listed as a quadricep exercise, although:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html
1- It is mentioned as a synergist muscle here
2- I have seen it called a mass builder for legs, although not as much as a squat
3- Christian Thibaudeau makes a case for the deadlift building quads in 3 variations of the deadlift here: http://www.tmuscle.com/article/most_recent/dissecting_the_deadlift

Or if people are mocking me for calling the squat an exercise for quads… Or maybe for claiming quadriceps can be helpful in lifting someone from the floor. Anyway, don’t let your heart rate go too high if this angers you. This thread really wasn’t meant as medical advice, so don’t sue me either. I think you guys are acting like a bunch of babies frankly.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
This relates to bodybuilding. Thank you for posting it here and not in GAL. [/quote]

Sorry, I figured it was closely enough related (ie. the use of a certain muscle). That’s two threads I’ve started in the wrong forum, I’ll be more careful for next time.

umm. not quite sure what you are asking. but lats are part of your anatomy, and aren’t just there to add strength. lats are used in rows and have other functions, not just pullups. you’ve kind of answered your own questions…

Look man, all the examples you gave in your first post dont make sense. If you’ve ever pushed a car (which I doubt) the you’ll know that the chest and tris have very little to do with it, they’re contracting isometrically, as well as giving yourself a way to connect to the car.

Then you go on writing about some different muscles; “that third abdominal muscle”, Im pretty sure I know which one your talking about but maybe you shouldve done your research before making you post!

There are a few variations of deadlifts, some like Sumo deads which have a little more focus on the Quads than their brother the Conventional Dead. However you didnt specify this in your post, only bringing it up later when you could have looked it up beforehand. I bet you were looking in exrx trying to make me look like a dick but it backfired didnt it.

Again man, this is just a ridiculous post. If you want to learn some good stuff, read…ALOT!!! Don’t come on to a Bodybuilding forum when you dont have a freekin clue what the difference between up and down is.

Go to exrx and start browsing through the pages there and you can learn alot. They have all the muscles and everything you need to know about them: including what exercises are used to target them, their origins and insertions and all the different articulations that all the joints go through.

This deserves a double ass cheek face palm.

Get an anatomy book. Study function.

You’re not uncommon with your lack of knowledge. Years ago I remember someone telling me that in a Barbell Curl, the lifting works the biceps, and the lowering works the triceps. lol

Simple answer: the human body works as a system. If strong quads are all you need to lift people off the ground then do nothing but leg presses for a few months and see how easy it is. And then, for shits and giggles, see if you can deep squat what you were leg pressing. The experience will be instructive for you.

Why wouldn’t the quads be involved in the deadlift. They extend the knees while you are holding that load, it’s just that the joint angle is different to that of a squat.

On the other hand, if you are just a troll, go and and try what I suggested anyway. It’ll be fun, I promise.

If he was talking about a suplex or an over-under/double-underhook type wrestling through then yes, there is knee extension, but it would most likely (or SHOULD be) eclipsed by hip extension similar to how squatting should be led with the hips and not the knees.

To the original point, in regards to reasons to strengthen certain muscles you’re taking a far too piecewise approach to your analysis. If I asked you what the purpose of learning to identify Shakespearian themes or the purpose of learning to solve systems of linear equations was what would you say? My answer would be not so that you know how to solve very specific tasks, but rather so that you’re adequately prepared to solve a multitude of tasks. So to answer your original question, strengthening any particular muscle will ensure you’re prepared to perform any task that may require the use of that muscle. One of my friends asked me why I want to be so big and why I bother with all this effort, and aside from the fact that I enjoy it I said it was to be prepared for any situation that may arise, in which my physical prowess may play a role in my survival, such as a mugging or being stranded in the wilderness or something. His reply was “Yeah but that will probably never happen” I said “You’re right, but if it does I want to make sure I stand the best possible chance of surviving”.