T Nation

Benefits of High Fat Diets?

Are there any studies that show the benefits of following high fat diets. I am talking about no carb-ups at all macro split of 60-75% fat. I have read the “Josh Whiton Protocol” where he list some advantages but, he posts no research.

I have wondered whether performance athletes would better perform on high fat diets. There have been many threads stating that if it were they would be doing it, others have shared that they tried but, energy levels would diminish. However, every time the diet used is some type of carb-cycling, keto, or AD where high fat is used but, so are large carb ups. When they are just high fat they last about 4-6 weeks. Are there any studies on long duration high fat diets?

I have been eating a 60-70% fat diet for about 3 months no carb-ups and though I felt like crap for about the first 2 weeks I now feel great. I lift weights 4-5x a week sprint 2x a week and trail run 10 miles every Sunday.

Some benefits I have had are:

  • I am never bloated/full/gassy and I am never hungry or have cravings
  • I always have energy
  • No trouble falling to sleep
  • Better/More mental clarity, maybe I am just more alert.
  • Muscle has been easier to hold on to.

Obviously, the benefits are enough for me to continue but, I was wondering if there has been any research done.

I believe there’s a very old study done by an arctic explorer who decided to continue his 0-carb high-protein high-fat diet once he got back from the arctic.

There’s plenty of anecdotal accounts from explorers, especially in the arctic and antarctic, that a high-fat high-protein diet gave them far more energy than anything else, and took up the least weight.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any real studies.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

Some benefits I have had are:

  • I am never bloated/full/gassy and I am never hungry or have cravings
  • I always have energy
  • No trouble falling to sleep
  • Better/More mental clarity, maybe I am just more alert.
  • Muscle has been easier to hold on to.
    [/quote]

I have experienced the same benefits. Low carb works great for me when cutting to a point. My lifting intensity is down a bit since my muscles are fully loaded for training sessions. I typically will do a low carb for a cut for about a month, get really fast results, then slowly incorporate more carbs in my diet to increase my lifting and cardio intensity.

I read a study that showed people with high fat, no/low carb diets were able to eat MORE calories and lose MORE fat while retaining their muscle mass vs. a high carb low fat. Too lazy to look for it. It is essentially different hormone manipulation between the two. Hence, why the Anabolic Diet is called the Anabolic Diet.

i eat 2000-2500 calories from fat per day

i don’t have any lows, just constant energy

i get 2500f/1000p/500c per day usually

i do low volume stuff so I don’t know if a volume routine would mean not enough carbs

Gary Taubes book “Why we get Fat” (excellent, quick read btw) cites several studies, off the top of my head there’s one from Stanford school of medicine from about 2007 where there’s a dramatic improvement in cancer and heart disease risk factors as well as substantial fat loss

the reason high fat diets work is that exposure to carbs makes you more insulin resistant

intermittent fasting, high fat diets (with low carbs), caloric restriction… all of them promote insulin sensitivity, making you healthier and keeping you in fat burning mode throughout the day

exposure to carbs does not make you insulin resistant

btw- I love HF diets

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
exposure to carbs does not make you insulin resistant[/quote]

explain why so many american have diabetes if its not HFCS and carbs

also, http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=carbs+insulin+resistance&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C21&as_sdtp=

read up

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
exposure to carbs does not make you insulin resistant[/quote]

explain why so many american have diabetes if its not HFCS and carbs
[/quote]

Lol, I think JF was just being nitpicky. It is exposure to insulin (in abnormal amounts) that makes an individual insulin resistant.

How are you guys getting such high calories from fat? Oils? In your meals or as a supplement?
Are you also counting the fats that protein meats are prepared from?

TQ

peanut butter, coconut milk, olive oil

usually

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
How are you guys getting such high calories from fat? Oils? In your meals or as a supplement?
Are you also counting the fats that protein meats are prepared from?

TQ[/quote]

Fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil, avocados, coconut milk, salmon, and certain nuts. I count all fat using fit-day. Most days I am at 65% fat, 25% pro, 10% carbs. I eat mostly green veggies and don’t count fiber. I usually stay under 30g carbs. As I said after being on this diet for quit some time I am finding that I do not need as many calories to keep muscle/grow.

[quote]qeynos wrote:
peanut butter, coconut milk, olive oil

usually
[/quote]

Cool thanks. Is the PB natty usually?
I am told Coconut Butter is the bomb also.
I found Macadamia Oil tastier than Olive Oil (for shakes/cooking etc).

For me I’ve tried EV Coconut Oil, Liquid Fish Oil supplement, Heavy Cream, Cream Cheese etc.

How about the Anabolic Diet route - cheese, sausages, bacon etc.?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
How are you guys getting such high calories from fat? Oils? In your meals or as a supplement?
Are you also counting the fats that protein meats are prepared from?

TQ[/quote]

Fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil, avocados, coconut milk, salmon, and certain nuts. I count all fat using fit-day. Most days I am at 65% fat, 25% pro, 10% carbs. I eat mostly green veggies and don’t count fiber. I usually stay under 30g carbs. As I said after being on this diet for quit some time I am finding that I do not need as many calories to keep muscle/grow.

[/quote]

Thanks! I forgot about salmon and avacado. I’ve eaten smoked salmon wrapped around sticks of cream cheese or regular cheese.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
I have been eating a 60-70% fat diet for about 3 months no carb-ups and though I felt like crap for about the first 2 weeks I now feel great. I lift weights 4-5x a week sprint 2x a week and trail run 10 miles every Sunday.
[/quote]

Do you carb-up nowadays?

Back in 2010 and earlier this year I tried Paleo for the week and a carb meal on a weekend. Usually sticking to simple carbs (rice, potatoes) and a good quality ice cream (a a few scoops in a bowl say).

Thanks for the tip on the software. I’ve used My Fitness Pal also (on iOS but might be available on other platforms also). Shelby also recommended Nutrition Data (web site) when I was coached by him.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:
peanut butter, coconut milk, olive oil

usually
[/quote]

Cool thanks. Is the PB natty usually?
I am told Coconut Butter is the bomb also.
I found Macadamia Oil tastier than Olive Oil (for shakes/cooking etc).

For me I’ve tried EV Coconut Oil, Liquid Fish Oil supplement, Heavy Cream, Cream Cheese etc.

How about the Anabolic Diet route - cheese, sausages, bacon etc.?[/quote]

Coconut butter (coconut manna) is awesome, don’t know if you have tried it but, it taste like shortbread. I had to go easy with it though, I ate too much of it and it sat in my stomach like a brick.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:
peanut butter, coconut milk, olive oil

usually
[/quote]

Cool thanks. Is the PB natty usually?
I am told Coconut Butter is the bomb also.
I found Macadamia Oil tastier than Olive Oil (for shakes/cooking etc).

For me I’ve tried EV Coconut Oil, Liquid Fish Oil supplement, Heavy Cream, Cream Cheese etc.

How about the Anabolic Diet route - cheese, sausages, bacon etc.?[/quote]

lol, its natty, i get them in bulk at sams club… 4 lbs at a time (smuckers)

it sounds tasty… i used to be eating more meat (like 2-3 steaks a day) but now i’m drinking more protein shakes

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:
peanut butter, coconut milk, olive oil

usually
[/quote]

Cool thanks. Is the PB natty usually?
I am told Coconut Butter is the bomb also.
I found Macadamia Oil tastier than Olive Oil (for shakes/cooking etc).

For me I’ve tried EV Coconut Oil, Liquid Fish Oil supplement, Heavy Cream, Cream Cheese etc.

How about the Anabolic Diet route - cheese, sausages, bacon etc.?[/quote]

Coconut butter (coconut manna) is awesome, don’t know if you have tried it but, it taste like shortbread. I had to go easy with it though, I ate too much of it and it sat in my stomach like a brick.
[/quote]

Yes! I was told it tastes great (Artisana or Nutiva I think?).