Benefits of Deficit Deadlifts

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
I stopped doing rack pulls in the past because it had no carry over when I altered my form to make the lift easier (remained more upright with slightly hyperextended back). However, I’ve recently added them back in with a focus on getting in the same position as if going through full range (more forward lean and neutral spine) and without worrying if I’m going heavy enough. It feels like I’m working the right distribution of muscles now so that is definitely something to consider.[/quote]
I forget where I read it but someone wrote an article on the rack pull and said to get in the worst position possible, safely of course. I’ve started doing them and noticed I can really feel my PC firing which is an issue I think a lot of people have at lockout[/quote]

Yeah I heard that too, it was in the “So You Think You Can Deadlift” series with EliteFTS.

[quote]JMallon95 wrote:

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
I stopped doing rack pulls in the past because it had no carry over when I altered my form to make the lift easier (remained more upright with slightly hyperextended back). However, I’ve recently added them back in with a focus on getting in the same position as if going through full range (more forward lean and neutral spine) and without worrying if I’m going heavy enough. It feels like I’m working the right distribution of muscles now so that is definitely something to consider.[/quote]
I forget where I read it but someone wrote an article on the rack pull and said to get in the worst position possible, safely of course. I’ve started doing them and noticed I can really feel my PC firing which is an issue I think a lot of people have at lockout[/quote]

Yeah I heard that too, it was in the “So You Think You Can Deadlift” series with EliteFTS. [/quote]
You’re probably right, that does make way more sense than me reading lol

For me deficit deadlifts are far and away the best deadlift assistance exercise. I’ve spent the last few months trying other variations and am heading right back to deficits. My speed off the floor has stayed great even after ceasing deficits, but then again I round my back and jerk the bar David troutt style, so speed off the floor isn’t an issue now.

But deficits actually help the lockout as well, since the range of motion is longer the speed off the floor doesn’t carryover to lockout as much, since the bar travels farther. And I think the biggest benefit, for guys who tend to stiff leg, such as myself, is deficits force you to not let your hips rise as early, since you’re already at a mechanical disadvantage you’re pretty much fucked if you let that happen.

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:
For me deficit deadlifts are far and away the best deadlift assistance exercise. I’ve spent the last few months trying other variations and am heading right back to deficits. My speed off the floor has stayed great even after ceasing deficits, but then again I round my back and jerk the bar David troutt style, so speed off the floor isn’t an issue now.

But deficits actually help the lockout as well, since the range of motion is longer the speed off the floor doesn’t carryover to lockout as much, since the bar travels farther. And I think the biggest benefit, for guys who tend to stiff leg, such as myself, is deficits force you to not let your hips rise as early, since you’re already at a mechanical disadvantage you’re pretty much fucked if you let that happen. [/quote]

that’s actually quite interesting, because I am one of those guys who’s hips shoot up too early. Think I might include them to see if I get similar results…just out of curiosity, what size deficit do you use?

I’m willing to bet if your hips shoot up early you will really benefit from them.

I only use a 2inch defict (so the normal size plates in a gym), many seem to like a larger 4inch deficit. But i feel like it begins to change the mechanics of the lift too much then. Try either one but the smaller deficit is what I prefer

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:
I’m willing to bet if your hips shoot up early you will really benefit from them.

I only use a 2inch defict (so the normal size plates in a gym), many seem to like a larger 4inch deficit. But i feel like it begins to change the mechanics of the lift too much then. Try either one but the smaller deficit is what I prefer[/quote]

gonna put them in for next week’s session. cheers for that!

[quote]electricred wrote:

[quote]Reps for Ozzy wrote:

not sure how this relates but its a hell of a deficit deadlift[/quote]
Goddamn, that looks miserable. I’ve never seen anybody do more than three or so inches in the real world. Masochistic bastard.[/quote]

you think thats bad? check out this shit haha