T Nation

Benefits of Clean Food?

Hey, like I said before, I’m a skinny bastard. ( 160 pounds ) If I want to bulk up, is it important that I eat clean foods and such, or more importantly that I just EAT?

I won’t be eating chips and cake all day, I will eat oatmeal, eggs, chicken, and for snacks I will eat stuff with high calories, whatevers lying around, and sometimes even eat fastfood.

What I’m asking is why do people eat ONLY clean food? Less fat gains, and more muscle gains? I have heard mixed answers, like, if your skinny , then eat anything, and everything, and some people say eat only “clean” so I just wanted some clarification.

Thanks.

[quote]fabmxer wrote:

What I’m asking is why do people eat ONLY clean food? Less fat gains, and more muscle gains? I have heard mixed answers, like, if your skinny , then eat anything, and everything, and some people say eat only “clean” so I just wanted some clarification.

Thanks.[/quote]

That and health but yes you can ease up a bit but sure keep it clean no need to eat processed junk just go for more dense and simple carb source then those who add wegith easy. eat PB and J sandwhiches on whole grain bread, with whole milk etc.

in the peri workout window pack that crap in Dave Barr would say Pop tarts for someone like you. Read Massive eating JB used bagles, PB and tons of milk on top of his usual intake

do what it takes. But try and have a some what healthy diet. It would be very easy to do with fattier meat more grains and simple sugars, oils Butter, nuts etc.

Phill

As a fellow skinny bastard, I would give you advice to not eat so clean. I started at 6’4" 170 pounds and have worked up to about 215 now. Whenever I eat clean, I don’t gain weight. I might gain a little muscle slowly, but generally I am not gaining weight or losing it.

When I just pound down cheeseburgers and whole milk, I have really made some good gains.

However, I think timing is key. After lifting,I go to the dining hall and pound down like 4 cheeseburgers, a big glass of whole milk and then usually a big plate of pasta. There’s a difference between that and sitting around on a Sunday when you didn’t train and eating doughnuts and no protein.

I also try to go in stages of eating clean and “bulking.” What I do is kind of set a target weight and just pound food down until I get to it. After that, I clean up my diet a bit (especially with respect to carbs because you can store a lot of water weight that way, which, although not fat mass, isn’t muscle mass really either) until I can maintain that weight while eating fairly clean.

For instance, my next target is 220, which I have hit at times, but generally only after a big post-training carb binge. When I can stay at that weight while eating fairly clean, I’ll start aiming for 230.