Benefits of a Trainer vs Going at it Alone

Hey Guys,

Not to sure if there is a thread about this already.

Wanted your guys opinion of getting a trainer who can sort out a workout and diet plan?

VS

Doing it yourself? As I feel I keep going back to the same formula and keep hitting the same PRs and my body transformation is lacking.

What is your guys opinion and experiences with this?

Well, you just mentioned that you keep hitting the same weights and your “transformation is lacking” which I assume means you are not satisfied with how your body looks. If you are happy with your current strength level and physique then there is absolutely no reason to hire a trainer. No shame in this, as not everyone wants to be HUGE and RIPPED or bench 405 pounds. Many just want to be healthy, active, and “look good”

However, if you are NOT happy with your current strength of physique you have 3 options.

• Try new stuff for yourself and see if results are different

• Have someone else with a proven track record guide you along

• Continue with your current program and likely be at the exact same place this time next year.

If you can get a hold of someone with a proven track record of accomplishing what you want to do then what you are really paying for is to “fast forward” your knowledge base and for them to “have made the mistakes for you” so to speak.

Have you ever had one of those “If I only knew then what I know now” moments? How much would it be worth to have someone take you to “from then to now” in 12 weeks instead of 6 years? It can be very frustrating training for a year only to look in the mirror or at your log book and be in essentially the same place… Or worse, 5 years. \

Only YOU can decide if paying someone is worth it TO YOU

With a trainer you wont second guess what youre doing. It will also keep you from doing the same exercises youre comfortable with.

As a trainer, I can say that most trainers are not worth hiring. If you find one with proven results in the same area that you are seeking results, and you feel that the price is worth it, go for it. Sometimes it’s a matter of cost/benefit in relation to time. Is it worth it for you to save countless hours, and then experimenting, to just have someone do all of that for you?

I’ll echo Eccha, it depends on the trainer. I am a working trainer as well and one of the main reasons I started is because most trainers are so incredibly incompetent. Depending on your goals, you may want to look into a bodybuilding or powerlifting specific gym. A gym like this will probably have some good coaching available as well as many benefits from just being in the environment and learning from other lifters.

Thanks guys. I managed to get a couple free training sessions with a trainer down the road. Will see if he’s any good.

The ones who I identified as being great reputation and for my goal are either too expensive or too busy to help. Will use what I can for now and see if he can help.

[quote]Waylon wrote:
Depending on your goals, you may want to look into a bodybuilding or powerlifting specific gym. A gym like this will probably have some good coaching available as well as many benefits from just being in the environment and learning from other lifters.[/quote]

I would say this is your best bet. I know it has helped me just training around/with stronger and more experienced lifters with similar goals.