Benefits From BCAA's & HOT-ROX

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
jck524 wrote:
and with HOT-ROX do you maintain muscle while just losing fat?

Yes, it is a great aid in muscle maintenance while dieting. Again, your diet and training need to be in line as well.

So HOT-ROX is only supposed o work if your diet and excersice is perfect already or would it help somone who was going to the gym 3 days a week. No Cardio and a decent diet but not perfect.[/quote]

Yes it would still help in that situation. However, the truth is the more disciplined in adhering to a well formulated plan the better the results will be. That is true with anything in life. If you give half ass effort expect half ass results.

D

Mosho, I still have the feeling you might be skimping on the fat.

At your height and 180 with that bf percentage, I wouldn’t specifically focus on cutting weight, there’s not going to be that much muscle underneath to show. Eat when you’re hungry, keep your carbs under 100-150g per day (as much as you can from fruits and vegetables), eat your weight in protein grams, and don’t avoid all fats but fish oil. Don’t be afraid of red meat (is this a religious thing?), egg yolks, flax, cheese, olive oil, etc.

Eat when you’re hungry. Squat, deadlift, row, dip, bench, and chin-up. At your training age, you’re gunna gain a significant amount of muscle if you follow this advice, while losing fat without even trying to.

I’m not “cutting” weight, I just want to be thinner, muscle issues aside, not very lean, but like I said, 15% body fat will make me a much happier person, which is what really matters, isn’t it? :slight_smile: So I would like to be done with that before I start growing more muscles. I also have a hard time doing aerobics, because I get bored very quickly.

My friend for example who was obese found he loves running, so a year after he went down from about 28% bf to 15%, because he just runs all day long, I can’t do that, but I like lifting weights, alot. I thought I’d incorporate that into weight loss but people said that those things are not for beginners, or something like that in other words.

I’m not afraid of red meat, I just like chicken and thought that since it is healthier I might as well eat only it. And it’s white meat I don’t eat for religious reasons :stuck_out_tongue: I also eat yogurt and cheese, but I try to keep a calorie deficit. I’m not fat or anything, but I’m not thin in any way either. I lift more than lots of people in the gym that look better than me, so I figured that I do have some muuscle under the fat… I’m not a small person either :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, you don’t need to do aerobics. Lift hard, eat clean, and learn why red meat is not unhealthy.

Good luck.

Never said it wasn’t healthy, just said chicken was is healthier :stuck_out_tongue:

Would there be any benefits to lifting hard now, over losing a bit of fat before doing it?

Yes, you’re going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Look into excess post oxygen consumption, your metabolic rate is going to be increased and you’ll preferentially burn fat with anaerobic exercise being the primary stimulus.

So the benefit is: It’ll be faster than focusing on “fat burning zones” and whatever other stuff commercial gyms will play over the speakers, you’ll feel better, you’ll look better, you’ll perform better, and you’ll be further along when you finally stop meaning to lose fat…

The two goals are not mutually exclusive.

That’s what every article I ever read says :stuck_out_tongue: (that you can’t do both). You’re saying I shouldn’t even create a calorie deficit?

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about that, you don’t even really know how many calories you burn (via formulas or whatever you use). Eat when you’re hungry, make sure its good food, and train hard.

I have (including right now) done both. It’s important (in my opinion) to vary types of work performed. Heavy sometimes (to keep muscle), longer sets/sprints (for lactic acid production), and walking (for increased aerobic efficiency which=more efficient fat burning in between sets and workouts).

I think most of those articles are oversimplified and apply more to people with a very high training age.

Well, thanks for all the helkp but I still need a training and nutrition program, I can’t keep up with something unless it’s predefined. What about this one?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=811783
“The Carb Cycling Codex”

Seems ok, lots of good food, training, etc.

I’m sure that’ll work fine. A bit complicated, but fine if you’re into that kinda thing.

I’d say try combining that with a 3x/week Waterbury program and you’re well on your way.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
Hello, I have a friend who has studied these things in college, and he told me that BCAA are not only not needed, but are also not even helpful for training, and that I get enough from normal foods.

He also said that he thinks HOT-ROX (I showed him the details) won’t do anything for me. I’m willing to do any kind of training, but will ordering these two supplements help me in any way?

When I order them I will also order some Surge or Grow!, and maybe Flameout. Thanks alot for any help :)[/quote]

I think you’re friend has given you some bad advise with regards to BCAAs.

I’ve read some research saying the contrary and that BCAAs prior to and during show to reduce muscle breakdown significantly!

Personally, I can say that while supplementing with BCAAs prior to training, I’m much less sore than without them. For me, if I don’t feel sore, I’m more likely to train hard on successive days.

As for HOT-ROX, I can’t say that’s it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, at least for me. It really hasn’t done much for me on repeated tries. My best results have been with the plain old ECA stack.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
Thanks for all the answers :slight_smile: From what I read HOT-ROX is not something beginners should use, is that true?[/quote]

Beginners can use HOT-ROX, although it would be smart to get your diet and exercise program dialed in before worrying about supplements.

Once you do, HOT-ROX should be a big help. It literally made the fat melt off me once I focussed on eating right and training to get leaner.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Mosho wrote:
Thanks for all the answers :slight_smile: From what I read HOT-ROX is not something beginners should use, is that true?

Beginners can use HOT-ROX, although it would be smart to get your diet and exercise program dialed in before worrying about supplements.

Once you do, HOT-ROX should be a big help. It literally made the fat melt off me once I focussed on eating right and training to get leaner.[/quote]

what program did you do to train to get leaner?

I don’t make significant changes to my weigh training to get leaner. Maybe I’ll focus on not taking too long of a break between sets, but that’s probably about it. Remember, the point of weight training while dieting is to maintain muscle.

I do add more cardiovascular workout, though.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
I’m sure that’ll work fine. A bit complicated, but fine if you’re into that kinda thing.

I’d say try combining that with a 3x/week Waterbury program and you’re well on your way.[/quote]

Like this one?
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=693794

I would like to workout more though (aerobics).

I’d love to see the research your friend has saying they do nothing, considering most things I have read/seen points to the contrary. HOT-ROX is up for debate but I feel it helps myself.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I’d love to see the research your friend has saying they do nothing, considering most things I have read/seen points to the contrary. HOT-ROX is up for debate but I feel it helps myself.
[/quote]

Yes, I’m curious too because my friends have been doing research for Champion Nutrition for the past few years, and have found nothing but positives for BCAA containing products, especially for body comp and recovery.

Waterbury recommends supplements like ZMA and Spike, now that’s another 2 to the equation. Could someone please tell me what I should and what I should not get? Like I said, I’m 20yo, 6’, 180lbs, and 19% bf. I’m trying to lose some weight while gaining muscle apparently.

I’m currently following http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=693794 and

I’m eating very clean at the moment, having a really hard time getting more than 2k calories, have no appetite for it. Thanks alot for the help :slight_smile:

[quote]Mosho wrote:
Waterbury recommends supplements like ZMA and Spike, now that’s another 2 to the equation. Could someone please tell me what I should and what I should not get? Like I said, I’m 20yo, 6’, 180lbs, and 19% bf. I’m trying to lose some weight while gaining muscle apparently.

I’m currently following http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=693794 and

I’m eating very clean at the moment, having a really hard time getting more than 2k calories, have no appetite for it. Thanks alot for the help :)[/quote]

I haven’t read your entire thread yet (sorry!) but if you’ve decided on HOT-ROX, it’s not recommended to take Spike along with that. It’s one or the other. If your main goal is fat loss, then HOT-ROX. If you’re just looking for an energy boost, then Spike.

But ZMA is a solid supplement to take prior to bed. Good sleep and good T-levels. Plus it’s only 9 bucks.

Anyway, hope this helps and I’ll finish reading now.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
Well, thanks for all the helkp but I still need a training and nutrition program, I can’t keep up with something unless it’s predefined.[/quote]

Based on the fact that you don’t even have your training and nutrition dialed in, you really don’t have any business worrying about supplements.

Go with Hot-Rox and hold off on all other supplements for now. You are getting way ahead of yourself.