Benefits and Proper Use of Knee Wraps

Ok so let’s hear it what are the benefits of knee wraps, is there any difference in types, when should you start using them how do you use them properly. I know I could probably search and find the info else where but curious as to what this particular group thinks

think there is a sticky in the pl forum, but for my two cents I have a pair of APT convicts, love them. I annoy the shit out of my training partners because I keep them loose as hell until I reach something around 600.

I think I know which one you are talking about and it seems to be a product reveiw. I am more looking for if they are useful for someone just entering powerlifting and if they will help prevent injury on my heavier lifts. I am also looking for tips on how to wrap my knees the rigth way… Mostly I am looking for a good discussion on the subject I can search google and read lots of stuff looking for something interactive right now.

I did some Googling, and found various opinions and preferences on wrapping styles, and went with what I thought was easiest: a simple wrap starting a couple inches below the knee and going up one-half overlapping each time. Keep things at the preferred tightness throughout, and a simple tuck at the end. Voila!

But take my advice for what it’s worth. I’m new at this.

[quote]sfp wrote:
I did some Googling, and found various opinions and preferences on wrapping styles, and went with what I thought was easiest: a simple wrap starting a couple inches below the knee and going up one-half overlapping each time. Keep things at the preferred tightness throughout, and a simple tuck at the end. Voila!

But take my advice for what it’s worth. I’m new at this.[/quote]

This is the style that has proven useful to me as well.

When I am about to go big on a squat I have them so tight all I can think of is getting my set done to get the wraps off. Make sure you keep your leg extended and not bent when you wrap them so they are like a german virgn, Good and Tight.

Sitting on a bench with your legs extended in fromt of you you start from the inside of the leg and one tight wrap about 2" above the knee, cross over on the outside of the knee going down the ligament and then a tight wrap 2" below the knee.

You should come out on the inside of your leg and cross back over to the upper leg covering the inside ligament back to the first wrap. Now over lap them all the way down pulling them tight each time you move down. tuck the end into the last wrap and pull tight. If you did it right someone will have to help you up because you can’t bend your knee to stand. I wrap right outside the rack so I can step in squat and get back out again fast!

anyone have any expereince with these sraps from elite
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=139&pid=3063

Those are what I use on occaison. I like them …not too tight gives a little rebound and pretty stretchy.

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
When I am about to go big on a squat I have them so tight all I can think of is getting my set done to get the wraps off. Make sure you keep your leg extended and not bent when you wrap them so they are like a german virgn, Good and Tight.

Sitting on a bench with your legs extended in fromt of you you start from the inside of the leg and one tight wrap about 2" above the knee, cross over on the outside of the knee going down the ligament and then a tight wrap 2" below the knee.

You should come out on the inside of your leg and cross back over to the upper leg covering the inside ligament back to the first wrap. Now over lap them all the way down pulling them tight each time you move down. tuck the end into the last wrap and pull tight. If you did it right someone will have to help you up because you can’t bend your knee to stand. I wrap right outside the rack so I can step in squat and get back out again fast!

[/quote]

thats what I refer to as “cross-wrapped” . I use the regular wrap method until a few weeks before a meet…then I’ll start cross-wrapping . heavy singles and 1RM PR’s .

OP…if you’re gonna start wrapping , get used to it well before meet time rolls around .

I have wraps but hardly ever use em. http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WRAPS_IRONZ They are a pain in many ways but do seem to help with a little carry over and protection on the heavier sets. If I decide to compete geared, I’ll get more frequent use out of them.

Colin is right about the tightness and if you can roll them up super tight before you put them on, it makes it easier and quicker to wrap.