T Nation

Benefit of a Meat Only Diet

Below is a peice of an article discussing the benefits of a meat only diet. No carbs/veg/dairy - nothing. Just like our ancestors apparently. Some interesting points on bodybuilding while on this diet. I originally found it on a hairloss website (im not sure how i ended up there, i will follow any interesting links whilst at work…!)

Thought i would post the key points of it and see what you guys think.

Full article here: http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/discus/discus.cgi


Our paleolithic ancestors did NOT eat anything but meat, except in times of starvation. Those were the only times people resorted to vegitation. The so called “paleodiet” you see on websites is so wrong it’s ridiculous. Eating only lean meat and lots of veggies will kill you because fat is the most important nutrient your body needs. In fact, saturated fat, is the healthiest you can eat. Saturated fat will only cause problems if you’re eating high carb diets. Saturated fat CAN NOT oxidize in the blood because all of its bonds are occupied, so oxygen can not get in to oxidize the fatty acid. Fatty acids and cholesterol MUST oxidize before ANYTHING bad can happen. This process is elminated when you stop eating carbs, and eat only meat.

The neolithic era was when humans began consuming vegitation. This was the very beginning of the process that led to todays obesity and diabetes epidemic.

An all-meat diet does NOT induce long-term ketosis. For the first few weeks you will have excess ketones in your urine. This is because your body is in conversion mode. Your body is so used to burning sugar for fuel, it will struggle for a while to find its new fuel source, fat. After a few weeks your body will adjust to this new way of life and begin burning the ketones for fuel, so you will come out of ketosis. This is a normal and healthy condition.

You will feel horrible at first, because of this switch over process. But once you’re switched over, if you’re diligent, you will feel like a brand new person with the metabolism and energy of a 10 year old.

People will try to tell you that your body needs carbohydrates because your brain can only run on glucose. Certain parts of your brain can only run on glucose, true. However, what they fail to mention is that your body can convert both fat and protein into glucose through gluconeogenesis. As long as you are consuming enough calories, protein and fat you won’t lose muscle mass, and your brain will function perfectly.

That’s another thing they’ll try to stuff down your throat. They will tell you that protein catabolism speeds up on this diet. What they also fail to mention is that at the same time, protein syntehsis ALSO speeds up. My belief is that the breaking down of protein is due to the de-junking of cells, something I read from a doctor a while back. The extra protein synthesis is due to the higher amount of protein in the diet (which is NOT dangerous by the way) and 1. the higher overall adrenaline amount (not adrenaline/cortisol flashes, this is totally different) and 2. the much higher human growth hormone in the blood. Yes, if you want a natural way to seriously boost HGH, an all meat, high fat diet is the way to do it.

High protein diets are not dangerous, and never have caused kidney or liver disease. The only time high protein diets are bad for your kidneys is if they are in conjunction with a high carbohydrate diet, through a process called glycation. The glycated proteins, because of the huge amount of insulin and glucose, are what damage your kidneys. This is the connection between diabetes and kidney disease
I eat any meat that is not pre-packaged or processed. This is all I eat.

I love fatty chicken thighs. I eat up to 10 a day. This is about 3500 calories and 220 grams of fat. Make sure you eat the skin, soak them in the left over grease and make sure you check the packaging. Some places, like wal-mart, add sugar to their “fresh” meat.

I also love cow tongue. It’s a perfect fat/protein ratio. about 75 fat and 25 protein.

I’ll work in fresh salmon sometimes too.

Mostly chicken thighs, sometimes that’s all I’ll eat in a day is chicken thighs. Chicken, beef and salmon.

Drink LOTS of water. 2-4 liters per day, 4 being preferred.
Remember you can eat as many calories as you want on this diet. Your body will waste the extra calories. Your body has a pre-set amount of fat it’s supposed to have at any given time. Eating this diet achieves your perfect weight. You can not have higher than 15 percent body fat, and it’s usually lower on this diet. It is impossible.

If you weight train like I’ve started doing on this diet you can get down to about 3-4 percent body fat.
Despite what most body builders will tell you you do not need glucose or carbs to build muscle. Glycogen is NOT depleted during exercise. Muscles do not use glucose for energy. When you eat a high carb diet the body must first convert the glucose into free fatty acids for the body to use. This is why you never burn fat, and store carbs as saturated fat in your belly and thighs is because your body is converting the sugar to fat already, so it can’t burn the dietary fat, the dietary fat is just circulating in the blood. This is what insulin does.
Muscles use free fatty acids, not glucose. I never get sore muscles now like I did before, and they are building FAST.

Of course alot of this is just my opinion, and my own personal experience. I do believe what most of America considers healthy, is actually deadly. Even “low carb”. anything above 20 grams of carbs per day is not low carb at all. 5 grams or less is what you need, and ultimately 0 is optimal.
Your body only needs about 5 grams of blood glucose per day to function.

This is for the few parts of the brain that run on glucose. You can get this little bit from eating butter or eggs or heavy cream, or your body will convert fatty acids and protein (fat first though) into glucose through gluconeogenesis. This is the reason carbs are absolutely NOT ESSENTIAL in any amount in the diet.

I agree. Except I eat brocolli and spinach and do carb loads every 5 days. While this isn’t the most scientific article, I might try just eating grassfed beef and steak only for a while and see how I like it.

Glycogen is NOT depleted during exercise?

I cannot possibly believe that no fruit and veg is healthy. Our ancestors may have eaten this way, but we have evolved since then.

What is this person trying to sell?

[quote]rsg wrote:
Glycogen is NOT depleted during exercise?

I cannot possibly believe that no fruit and veg is healthy. Our ancestors may have eaten this way, but we have evolved since then.

What is this person trying to sell?[/quote]

I suspect our ancestors ate plenty of plant matter as well as meat, organs, brains, marrow etc.

Well thats the thing he is just a forum member on this website for people with thinning hair. As far as i can tell he has not pushed one single product in any post ive seen. He’s just sharing advice.

He maintains that this diet has improved everything from his energy levels to growing new hair… Im 50/50 on it, i try to limit carbs after mid-day, we all know about the atkins diet effects on fat loss and most of us are prob aware that fructose is detremental in large amounts just this seems a bit extreme.

Especially with the no Veg thing… Good read though. I wouldnt mind trying it if i had the time/money to buy huge quantities of raw meat and prepare it for 6 meals a day…!

[quote]rsg wrote:
Glycogen is NOT depleted during exercise?

I cannot possibly believe that no fruit and veg is healthy. Our ancestors may have eaten this way, but we have evolved since then.

What is this person trying to sell?[/quote]

Glycogen is not depleted during weighjt training. It takes prolonged steady-state exercise to make a dent in glycogen.

He is quite incorrect in saying muscles do not use glucose as energy, however.

eat as much as you want and you won’t gain fat and if you work out you will magically be 3-4% BF…

I like low carb diets like AD etc (on it now) but this guy takes it a little too far.

If you can eat all you want and only be 3-4% how would you ever put on any mass…

Fitday says it is only 1911 cals and 120 g of fat for 10 large thighs with skin eaten.

Makes you wonder about his knowledge.

I find that article confusing. Weren’t paleo humans the model for the hunter/gatherers theory. While I can understand the articles comments on fat intake, I have a hard time believing this guy’s claim that our ancestors subsisted solely on meat and nothing else.

The consumption of plants, roots and berries by paleos and Neanderthals has been well documented and confirmed by tools and other relics found by archeologists over the years.

This is interesting. I agree there is a lack of science backing this, but who knows. I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone discredit this already.

Let the debate begin!

It would be nice to eat like a cave man! Of course, they had a life expectany of 24 years old, but that may have been because T-Rexs roamed freely. Haha :-).

I disagree that our ancestors lived on meat only. Without tools such as spears, knives or fishing rods/nets, humans are ill-equiped to capture animals for food. Anything you’d want to eat is too fast or too strong to kill with your bare hands or teeth. The best evidence shows that early humans where omnivores, living on a diet of mostly plants supplimented with meat when it was available.

Also, there is a disease called gout which I recall mostly occured in medival times to wealthy class who ate mostly meat and not enough vegitables. Scurvy is also cause by a vitimin C deficiency. You can’t get vitamim C from chicken thighs. You need to get it from fruits & vegitables.

All the hunter-gatherer tribes still in existence today eat an extremely varied diet, with usually an emphasis on protein and animal fats, certainly, but also a great deal of carbohydrates from plant sources. If these people occupy the same ecological niche as our hunter-gatherer ancestors, why suppose that the paleolithic diet was any different?

And on the subject of not being able to bulk up while on such an extremely low-carb ‘paleo’ diet, I think Dr. Robert Thoburn has put it very well indeed (I paraphrase here 'cos I’m short on time) ‘The lean, gracile physique which typified paleolithic man is not that which modern bodybuilders strive to achieve.’

Cavemen ate whatever they could get their hands on.

I wonder how the fat profile of dinosaur compares to that of beef. Of course all there meat was free range…nice.

And yes, I know that dinosaurs and did not exist in the same era.

[quote]FutureDoc wrote:
I wonder how the fat profile of dinosaur compares to that of beef. Of course all there meat was free range…nice.

And yes, I know that dinosaurs and did not exist in the same era.[/quote]

Thank god! For a moment I thought you were one of these guys… http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2001/dinos_on_ark.asp


I basically agree with most of that, except this:

If you only do heavy singles, then sure, you won’t be using much glycogen. A typical “bodybuilding” session, however, will rely largely on glycogen for energy. It’s not true that the body must convert glucose to fat to use it as energy.

That said, I followed a very low-carb diet for a while and had no problem with energy in the gym. But I also didn’t gain any muscle, in fact I lost some.

I’m sure a meat and fat diet is perfectly healthy, perhaps the healthiest diet in the long run, but it’s not conducive to muscle gain in my opinion.

As for the “paleo” diets, I agree that most have nothing to do with the real diets of our paleo forefathers. If you want to go on a real paleo diet, eat the following:

  • mammoth liver
  • mammoth kidneys
  • mammoth heart
  • mammoth stomach w/semi-digested contents
  • mammoth brains
  • mammoth bone marrow (suck out the spinal fluid)
  • mammoth meat

It’s true that our genes have remained more or less unchanged since the last ice age, and at that period the human diet - at least in Europe and Asia - contained very little if any plant food. This is the diet most of us are still adapted to, although those with ancestors in areas where agriculture took hold early (Mediterranean, Middle East, East Asia) may posess genes that are adapted to a higher-carb diet (one example of quick adaption to a new dietary environment is the ability to digest lactose into adulthood).

Above: the Masai diet consists mostly of meat, milk and blood, though they also eat some corn porridge.

Look at the teath of true meat only predator and look at the teath of a caveman.

It was a funny read though!

Thank you, max manus. I can think of no better exemplar of a lean and gracile phenotype than a Masai.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
Cavemen ate whatever they could get their hands on.[/quote]

They also didn’t live very long. Cavemen ate a certain way because they had to. It’s not like they had any special insight into health or nutrition.

I have always been perplexed that people assume that because cavemen ate a certain way, this is how we should eat. This is a dieting world’s example of the naturalistic fallacy.

[quote]FutureDoc wrote:
I wonder how the fat profile of dinosaur compares to that of beef. Of course all there meat was free range…nice.

And yes, I know that dinosaurs and did not exist in the same era.[/quote]

Thank god! For a moment I thought you were one of these guys… http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2001/dinos_on_ark.asp