T Nation

Benedict the 16th Resigns

or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/02/11/pope-benedict-xvi-to-resign-at-end-february/
I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.


I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL! ‘Advanced age’…yeah, right…whatever…

If they said the real reason, donations would fall off a cliff. To these people, money is their real God. The real reason will never be made public.

Until there is evidence to the contrary I’m willing to accept that reason, though it is IS very irregular for a sitting pope to step down.

I’m not sure how huge this is, but it is interesting.

I think how he went about it is especially ingenius.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I’m not sure how huge this is, but it is interesting.

I think how he went about it is especially ingenius. [/quote] First time in 600 years and only a handful of other times? That’s pretty huge Chris. I’m drawing no conclusions at this point beyond that.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Until there is evidence to the contrary I’m willing to accept that reason, though it is IS very irregular for a sitting pope to step down.[/quote]

Same here. It’s natural to suspect something in that it’s very unusual for a Pope to do that, but of course. Up until recently, Popes and people in general weren’t living into their 80’s and 90’s and the natural effects of being that old is diminished capacity.
My initial thought was a degenerative brain disease, like Alzheimer’s being to blame.

Well, I predict some incessant Catholic bashing to commence so, here we go again.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.


I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL! ‘Advanced age’…yeah, right…whatever…

If they said the real reason, donations would fall off a cliff. To these people, money is their real God. The real reason will never be made public.
[/quote]

And apparently relentless stupidity is your god.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.


I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL! ‘Advanced age’…yeah, right…whatever…

If they said the real reason, donations would fall off a cliff. To these people, money is their real God. The real reason will never be made public.
[/quote]

And apparently relentless stupidity is your god.[/quote]

LOL That was definitely a good one.

Theologically, I don’t understand why in the world this would be a big deal, aside from the obvious fact that there will soon be a new pope. Does anyone really have a bone to pick with this?

[quote]KingKai25 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.


I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL! ‘Advanced age’…yeah, right…whatever…

If they said the real reason, donations would fall off a cliff. To these people, money is their real God. The real reason will never be made public.
[/quote]

And apparently relentless stupidity is your god.[/quote]

LOL That was definitely a good one.

Theologically, I don’t understand why in the world this would be a big deal, aside from the obvious fact that there will soon be a new pope. Does anyone really have a bone to pick with this? [/quote]

Not I. I wasn’t a huge fan of Benedict. He wasn’t particularly compelling in any direction, more of a seat warmer, IMO.
He was very conservative, yet had little follow through. For instance, he admonished the various sects of American Nuns who are too focused on ‘social justice’ and not enough on theology and some even chose said social justice over more important issues like life. I believe they get one shot to get on board or be dismissed. I am disappointed he did not take strong action.
I do not care that there aren’t that many nuns. They took vows to be obedient to God and the church, not to make up their own rules as they go along they don’t have that right. It’s fine if they have their own opinions and causes, but not as nuns. If they don’t like the rules of the church then they need to leave, plain and simple. It’s not a democracy. Acting as nuns they do more harm to the church then good. I would rather have zero nuns than bad ones. I consider it addition by subtraction.
He should have dismissed them outright when it became clear they had no intention to change.
He did not maintain the focus on building the church through youth like his predecessor. He did not evangelize and build Christian unity anywhere near enough like his predecessor.
He was very much an intellectual, focused on books and theology. That’s fine, that’s important, but spreading the gospel and reaching out to the world is more important.

I understand JP 2 was a tough act to follow, but I kind of considered Benedict somewhat of a lame duck Pope. He had the podium and could have done far more than he did. He maintained but did not advance the church much. We live in an age where it’s important to get the world to ‘Think God’ and whether or not you like the church or not, you have to admit the Pope is in a prime position to do that.

I don’t think Benedict was a bad guy or poorly intentioned, he was just long on theology and short on action. I think he was in over his head. JP 2 wasn’t afraid to rattle some cages and set people strait, Benedict seemed afraid to do that.

I hope the next Pope is a little more charismatic and focused on action. I am looking forward and will be praying that God grant us the right Pope to carry out His will on Earth.

The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion!

[quote]TyroneSlothrop wrote:The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion! [/quote]Yer tryin way too hard to sound profound and brilliant man. There are some very sharp guys around here and I’m betting you are the only one who knows what the above quoted statement is attempting to convey in relation to this story. Please try again. I’m hopin you can do better. Don’t lemme down now.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]TyroneSlothrop wrote:The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion! [/quote]Yer tryin way too hard to sound profound and brilliant man. There are some very sharp guys around here and I’m betting you are the only one who knows what the above quoted statement is attempting to convey in relation to this story. Please try again. I’m hopin you can do better. Don’t lemme down now.
[/quote]

It may be a post-situationist way to say “the show must go on”.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]TyroneSlothrop wrote:The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion! [/quote]Yer tryin way too hard to sound profound and brilliant man. There are some very sharp guys around here and I’m betting you are the only one who knows what the above quoted statement is attempting to convey in relation to this story. Please try again. I’m hopin you can do better. Don’t lemme down now.
[/quote]

Tyrone would you care to explain what you mean by that statement( I am not able to deciper it ).

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I’m not sure how huge this is, but it is interesting.

I think how he went about it is especially ingenius. [/quote] First time in 600 years and only a handful of other times? That’s pretty huge Chris. I’m drawing no conclusions at this point beyond that.
[/quote]

I guess I’ve had two years to digest the fact that he was going to do this, so it is not a huge deal. Obviously it is not common, and it’s strange for the contemporary church.

This is how I see it, before modern health care most people didn’t live to be as old as they are so they died before they stopped working. Now, that people routinely live past 80, it would make sense that more people would retire before dying and that doesn’t exclude the Pope.

The interesting thing (in my point of view) is that we will have two living Popes at once and there won’t be a fight for control of the church.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Until there is evidence to the contrary I’m willing to accept that reason, though it is IS very irregular for a sitting pope to step down.[/quote]

Same here. It’s natural to suspect something in that it’s very unusual for a Pope to do that, but of course. Up until recently, Popes and people in general weren’t living into their 80’s and 90’s and the natural effects of being that old is diminished capacity.
My initial thought was a degenerative brain disease, like Alzheimer’s being to blame.

Well, I predict some incessant Catholic bashing to commence so, here we go again.[/quote]

Have you seen the video? He’s pretty strong mentally and speaking wise, but from what I’ve seen/heard/read and what people tell me is that he’s not physically able to do the job of Pope (he can’t even fly really, and his body is so torn up of late that he’s having trouble genuflecting, &c. He’s not an athlete like JPII was, so it would make sense that his body would break down quicker than JPII). So, he’ll live the rest of his days in a monastery (probably in Vatican City) with his books, writing books himself, praying and suffering for the Universal Mission of salvation of the Church Militant and his Soul.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]KingKai25 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
or announces resignation, due to advanced age. First Pope to resign in office for almost 600 years.


I’m not drawing any conclusions, but this is definitely huge news.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL! ‘Advanced age’…yeah, right…whatever…

If they said the real reason, donations would fall off a cliff. To these people, money is their real God. The real reason will never be made public.
[/quote]

And apparently relentless stupidity is your god.[/quote]

LOL That was definitely a good one.

Theologically, I don’t understand why in the world this would be a big deal, aside from the obvious fact that there will soon be a new pope. Does anyone really have a bone to pick with this? [/quote]

Not I. I wasn’t a huge fan of Benedict. He wasn’t particularly compelling in any direction, more of a seat warmer, IMO.
He was very conservative, yet had little follow through. For instance, he admonished the various sects of American Nuns who are too focused on ‘social justice’ and not enough on theology and some even chose said social justice over more important issues like life. I believe they get one shot to get on board or be dismissed. I am disappointed he did not take strong action.
I do not care that there aren’t that many nuns. They took vows to be obedient to God and the church, not to make up their own rules as they go along they don’t have that right. It’s fine if they have their own opinions and causes, but not as nuns. If they don’t like the rules of the church then they need to leave, plain and simple. It’s not a democracy. Acting as nuns they do more harm to the church then good. I would rather have zero nuns than bad ones. I consider it addition by subtraction.
He should have dismissed them outright when it became clear they had no intention to change.
He did not maintain the focus on building the church through youth like his predecessor. He did not evangelize and build Christian unity anywhere near enough like his predecessor.
He was very much an intellectual, focused on books and theology. That’s fine, that’s important, but spreading the gospel and reaching out to the world is more important.

I understand JP 2 was a tough act to follow, but I kind of considered Benedict somewhat of a lame duck Pope. He had the podium and could have done far more than he did. He maintained but did not advance the church much. We live in an age where it’s important to get the world to ‘Think God’ and whether or not you like the church or not, you have to admit the Pope is in a prime position to do that.

I don’t think Benedict was a bad guy or poorly intentioned, he was just long on theology and short on action. I think he was in over his head. JP 2 wasn’t afraid to rattle some cages and set people strait, Benedict seemed afraid to do that.

I hope the next Pope is a little more charismatic and focused on action. I am looking forward and will be praying that God grant us the right Pope to carry out His will on Earth.[/quote]

He’s the Vicar of Christ, God gave us him. And, I disagree he isn’t called the Pope of Unity for nothing. JPII had been trying to get Anglicans to jump ship. B16 did with a flick of his wrist. He has been trying to get back to Germany for 36 years, and well not quite Germany but he gets his books back.

[quote]TyroneSlothrop wrote:
The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion! [/quote]

What?

Lightning Strikes St. Peter’s after resignation announcement.
Either an deliberate Omen…Or just a coincidental Storm.
Cool Picture anyway.

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]TyroneSlothrop wrote:The spectacle integrates readily the representation of the residue of an image of the past state-sponsored religious illusion! [/quote]Yer tryin way too hard to sound profound and brilliant man. There are some very sharp guys around here and I’m betting you are the only one who knows what the above quoted statement is attempting to convey in relation to this story. Please try again. I’m hopin you can do better. Don’t lemme down now.
[/quote]It may be a post-situationist way to say “the show must go on”.[/quote]If you actually understood that statement, I will find myself torn between being impressed or disturbed.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:What?[/quote]Not to beat up on this guy too uncharitably, but I read it about 10 times and this was my response no matter how hard I tried.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:I guess I’ve had two years to digest the fact that he was going to do this, so it is not a huge deal. Obviously it is not common, and it’s strange for the contemporary church.

This is how I see it, before modern health care most people didn’t live to be as old as they are so they died before they stopped working. Now, that people routinely live past 80, it would make sense that more people would retire before dying and that doesn’t exclude the Pope.

The interesting thing (in my point of view) is that we will have two living Popes at once and there won’t be a fight for control of the church. [/quote]Well I gotta say that’s fair enough Christopher. [quote]Brother Chris wrote:<<< his body is so torn up of late that he’s having trouble genuflecting, >>>[/quote] This however is a pitiful excuse. There is nothing wrong with my body and I can’t genuflect either.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Lightning Strikes St. Peter’s after resignation announcement.
Either an deliberate Omen…Or just a coincidental Storm.
Cool Picture anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276884/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-First-Pontiff-600-years-stand-longer-strength-carry-on.html#axzz2Kej0AKWt [/quote]Yer in a real tailspin Karado. I just cannot get myself to write you off completely, but it is becoming more challenging all the time.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:
Lightning Strikes St. Peter’s after resignation announcement.
Either an deliberate Omen…Or just a coincidental Storm.
Cool Picture anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276884/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-First-Pontiff-600-years-stand-longer-strength-carry-on.html#axzz2Kej0AKWt [/quote]Yer in a real tailspin Karado. I just cannot get myself to write you off completely, but it is becoming more challenging all the time.[/quote]

Come on… that was a really cool picture. He sure got that right.