Bend It Like Who?

Okay, my Friends…

I don’t know a DAMN thing about soccer (like most of us “American-Footballcentric” heathens). We play it as kids; then stop, get a beer and start tail-gaiting at “real” football games. SO:

1. Been hearing it ALL DAY; What does “Bend it like Beckham” refer to? Something kinky he does with Posh?

Okay…seriously…what does it refer to?

1. 250 MILLION DOLLARS to bring “real” Football to us heathens?

He better bend SOMETHING, baby…or I’d be pissed if I was writing the check!

LOL!

Discussion?

Mufasa

Listen up, heathens…

That’s 1 Million Dollars PER WEEK…(or 1 million of those little Burger King things…)

That’s a LOT of bending, baby!!!

Mufasa

Bend it Like Beckam refers to David Beckhams unique ability to kick a soccer ball the way a pitcher throws a curve ball.

Basically the ball will curve, or “Bend” while in mid air. Proves to be a nice technique to have when passing a soccer ball or trying to kick the ball in the net.

Im no soccer freak, just a typical italian kid who grew up playing soccer and I casually follow it nowadays.

“bend it” means the same thing it does in baseball.

If you’re serious, they’re referring to his amazing ability to bend his shots into the goal whether there’s a defensive wall in front of him or a goalie. When a straight shot on goal is not available, Beckham bends it.

…“Tell me whatcha’ want…whatcha’ REALLY, REEEALY, Want…!!!”

(Damn…they were playing that in the gym today! Can’t get it out of my head…need drugs…)

Mufasa

taylor…

Oh, yeah…I was serious. Don’t like to be ignorant about things going on around me.

This was BIG sports news today…and I didn’t know what it all was referring to.

Mufasa

Ok, just checking. You have to be careful on T-Nation. The sarcasm ninjas are always lurking…watching…waiting…TO STRIKE!

It was also the name of a niche movie about a teenage girl who wants to play football, against the wishes of her Hindu family.

I’ve always said there were more talented players than Beckham, but they probably don’t sell the same volume of shirts.

I remember always hearing English people complain about being inundated with tabloid coverage of Beckham and his talentless whore wife (I think that’s what they called her) while he was in Manchester. I only hope we aren’t subject to the same.

After all, I need to keep up to date on Britney’s vagina as well as the eating disorder/drug addiction du jour of all of her friends.

[quote]etaco wrote:
I remember always hearing English people complain about being inundated with tabloid coverage of Beckham and his talentless whore wife (I think that’s what they called her) while he was in Manchester. I only hope we aren’t subject to the same. [/quote]
The Beckhams (and media coverage of them) are everywhere, and I’m pretty sure you’ll get the same. Not just because of David, but Posh has gone into fashion design and is also trying to get into the movies- apparently Tom Cruise has signed her up to his latest movie project. She’s been hanging out with J-Lo a bit too recently.

It’s amazing how much random information you can gather when you teach teenagers…

‘Bend It Like Beckham’ was a great little movie. Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley star.

I heard the news last night. All I can say is YAY. America is going to get Victoria Beckham now - former Posh Spice from the Spice Girls (singing group). She’s one of the biggest publicity whores on the planet. I’m sure she’s THRILLED about moving to America, and gaining such an enormous audience. Just run like hell if she starts to sing.

David is cool. David has fucked up, and people still love him. He’s gorgeous, but his voice just doesn’t match his looks. I wonder if they’re going to sell their ‘castle’ here or use it as a summer home?

I’ll bet the folks at the National Enquirer are orgasmic over the news.

Oh dear, how are the other WAGS (footballers Wives and Girlfriends) going to cope without Victoria leading the pack?

OK, correct me if I am wrong, I am not a soccer nut, but first of all, from what I have heard, isn’t he on the southbound lane in his skillset? Isn’t he noted for an almost complete non appearance in the world cup? Props to him, though. They agreed to pay and he accepted.

[quote]silkspike wrote:
Oh dear, how are the other WAGS (footballers Wives and Girlfriends) going to cope without Victoria leading the pack?

[/quote]
My money’s on Colleen “my-boyfriend-makes-chimpslook-
handsome-but-he-makes-six-figures-a-week” McLoughlin to take up the reins.

I may just have ruined any tiny amount of credibility I had by admitting to knowing what a WAG was and worse to knowing who one of them is…

You guys are MERCILESS!!!

LOL! (Wag…I like that term!)

Looks like Ms. Beckham will be right at home in LA, the “attention whore” Capital of the World!

Can’t WAIT to see her hanging out with “The Hilton Crew”! (I agree that the National Enquirer is probably hiring a special “Beckham Team”!)

Mufasa

Mufasa,

I think your lack of knowledge of Beckham is a perfect example why it’s ridiculous for an American soccer team to pay him that much to bring him here.

Soccer is just never going to be a primary sport in North America, regardless of what tabloid-cover superstar they bring to an MLS team.

The LA Galaxy are paying this guy a million dollars a WEEK!? LA can’t even garner enough of a fan-base to support an American Football team, let alone a soccer team with a $250 million player.

Crazy stuff. I wonder how much that pricetag would have changed if he was hideous looking and had a 300lbs wife, since I honestly think part of their reason for getting him was to attract ‘fans’ regardless of their reason for being ‘fans’.

Question:

Why do they all say “It ain’t about the money”?

Beckham states that he just wants to bring soccer to those poor, starving kids in America, hungry for “true” football…

Brings a tear to your eye, don’t it?

Mufasa

Agree, Bauer…

On a more serious note, I’ve often thought where Soccer would “fit” in the psyche of the “American Sports Year”:

FALL? Nope; Football (College AND Pro)

LATE WINTER/SPRING? Nope; "March Madness/Pro Basketball/Baseball

SUMMER? Maybe…mostly baseball though. This may garner the most fans, split with baseball.

Then there is Golf, NASCAR, Tennis…the list goes on and on in the “American Sports Calendar”.

Any thoughts on when and where Soccer would “fit”?

Mufasa

Hell…Americans are flocking to POKER tournaments by the millions and laying down the bucks!

(God Bless America!)

Mufasa

From…

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_1831534,00.html

Most of the figures are in GBP (pounds sterling). According the current exchange rate 1 GBP = 1.94959 USD.

So, for instance, the amount he’ll earn a day will approximately work out to be $136,489.

[quote] [u]Go Figure: David Beckham’s U.S. Deal In Numbers[/u]
12/01/07

128 - The projected amount, in millions of pounds sterling, that David Beckham will earn over the next five years.

81 - The amount of pence that Beckham will be earning per second from August.

70,000 - The amount, in pounds sterling, that Beckham will earn per day.

500,000 - The amount, in pounds sterling, that Beckham will earn per week.

25.6 - The amount, in millions of pounds sterling, that Beckham will earn per year until 2012.

250 - The amount, in millions, that Beckham’s five-year contract is worth in U.S. dollars.

90 - The amount, in millions of U.S. dollars, that Tiger Woods is estimated to have earned in 2005-06, making the golfer the highest-paid sportsman in the world.

32 - The age of David Beckham when he officially becomes a LA Galaxy player on July 1.

27,000 - The capacity of the delightfully-named Home Depot Center, home of the LA Galaxy, as well as another MLS side, Chivas USA. The ground is often referred to as ‘The Toolbox’, and Beckham has already played there - during a pre-season friendly for Real Madrid in 2005.

20,814 - The average home attendance for LA Galaxy matches in 2006.

30,129 - The average home attendance for LA Galaxy matches in 1996.

15,504 - The average attendance for MLS league matches in 2006.

8 - The number, in millions, of children aged between six and 16 who are cited as playing ‘soccer’ regularly in the U.S.

13 - The number of teams in the MLS, split into two conferences, the Western and Eastern.

350 - The amount, in millions of U.S. dollars, that the MLS was estimated to have lost since its 1993 foundation according to a Business Week study in 2004.

700,000 - The amount, in pounds sterling, that Chivas USA forward Juan Francisco Palencia earns per season, making him the best-paid player in the MLS at present.

5,650 - The amount, in pounds sterling, that the lowest-paid player at LA Galaxy currently earns per season.

1.9 - The salary cap, in millions of U.S Dollars, that is imposed on each club from which they have to pay their ‘roster’ of 28 players. Under new MLS rules, each side is then allowed one ‘star player’ who does not feature under the salary cap.

0 - The number of trophies David Beckham has won at Real Madrid since 2003.[/quote]