T Nation

Benching to Neck

So I have heard about guys benching (flat and incline) to there neck.Like bringing the bar to there neck instead of chest or sternum.

Anyone on here do this and what are the benefits.

Cracked Llarynx

Good day = Hurt Shoulders
Bad day = Above post, Cracked Llarynx
Really bad day = Death

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Good day = Hurt Shoulders
Bad day = Above post, Cracked Llarynx
Really bad day = Death

[/quote]

Pretty much…

Light weight in a smith machine if you have healthy warmed up shoulders may tap into some of those elusive upper chest fibers. Not a very good risk/reward ratio IMO

Thats the answers I was looking for, thanks guys.

Fuck high bench.

I don’t know but Thib prescribed it in his HSS-100 chest specialization article way back in the days.

And larynx is spelled with one l.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Light weight in a smith machine if you have healthy warmed up shoulders may tap into some of those elusive upper chest fibers. Not a very good risk/reward ratio IMO[/quote]

Untrue. People can’t tap into my upper chest fibers from the smith machine.

Flex Wheeler benches like that in some of the videos I’ve seen, using a barbell as well. He mentioned he get’s much better chest stimulation.

[quote]GrayCrane wrote:
I don’t know but Thib prescribed it in his HSS-100 chest specialization article way back in the days.

And larynx is spelled with one l.[/quote]

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s a shitty exercise…

Power rack.
Set the pins so the bar can rest just above your neck, and you can do them all day long without worry.

[quote]SWR wrote:
Power rack.
Set the pins so the bar can rest just above your neck, and you can do them all day long without worry.[/quote]

Until you drop the bar on your face?

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
SWR wrote:
Power rack.
Set the pins so the bar can rest just above your neck, and you can do them all day long without worry.

Until you drop the bar on your face?[/quote]

Turn your head before it catches your chin. :wink:

I tried floor presses at home the other day without a rack and was lying down and turning my head so the bar could roll over my face then muscleing the bar up, it was dumb.

It’s a high risk to reward exercise, like others have stated. I do remember Stu saying that he did them for a little while and felt them in his upper chest even more than incline presses though. If you’ve got healthy shoulders and want to give them a try, go for it. But don’t say that you weren’t warned.

Usually done with very light weight. Gironda was a proponent of them.

Occasionally I throw them in but I don’t think they’re very useful, can’t use very much weight and still puts a lot of stress on the shoulders.

[quote]elusive wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Light weight in a smith machine if you have healthy warmed up shoulders may tap into some of those elusive upper chest fibers. Not a very good risk/reward ratio IMO

Untrue. People can’t tap into my upper chest fibers from the smith machine.[/quote]

I read this post at least 5 times before I realized what the hell you were talking about. You proud? Wasting my precious time… bastards

I incline bench most of the time and have the bar come down near the collar bone. I feel this gives a good stretch. It has helped improve my chest development and grow a bunch of chest hair as well.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
elusive wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

I read this post at least 5 times before I realized what the hell you were talking about. You proud? Wasting my precious time… bastards [/quote]

haha Bones has been had, I hope even you bones got a little chuckle out of that.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
elusive wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

I read this post at least 5 times before I realized what the hell you were talking about. You proud? Wasting my precious time… bastards [/quote]

Lol… I just now got this too. 2nd time though.