Benching Phobia

[quote]optheta wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why dont you just find a chick to work in with?

Good idea, Wanna be workout partners?[/quote]

yeah but id have to do my bicep workout on your chest day.

oh snap!

[quote]optheta wrote:
okay guys thanks for the help, I use DB’s but is fucken hard to go up in weigh when the DB’s go up in 5lb Increments instead of 2.5lbs which is really homo[/quote]

How about some reverse psychology if none of the above works…

If you’re complaining about a dumb-bell jumping up 5lb then you are just soft and need to get hard or you’re wasting your time bodybuilding. Say that to yourself when you go to do chest next, that if you don’t even go up 5lb’s on a dumb-bell, just give up cause that’s no weight jump at all (assuming you’re doing sets of 4 or higher with the weight below).

That’s ok though, weightlifting and adding slabs and slabs and slabs of muscle isn’t for everyone.

If 5lb is too much of a jump for you on dumb-bells, or going heavier on the bar and doing it on your own for 6 reps is too scary, don’t worry about it. Just move on over to a physique forum and get LaBuff. No-one here will think any worse of you if you just give up and move on to something else a little bit less mentally challenging. Maybe checkers or something like that where you don’t really have to risk yourself. You just be you, and be happy being that, these little failings don’t reflect in other parts of your life either…

p.s. lift the fucking weights man!!! lift the fucking weight, lift the fucking weight!!!

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:
optheta wrote:
okay guys thanks for the help, I use DB’s but is fucken hard to go up in weigh when the DB’s go up in 5lb Increments instead of 2.5lbs which is really homo

How about some reverse psychology if none of the above works…

If you’re complaining about a dumb-bell jumping up 5lb then you are just soft and need to get hard or you’re wasting your time bodybuilding. Say that to yourself when you go to do chest next, that if you don’t even go up 5lb’s on a dumb-bell, just give up cause that’s no weight jump at all (assuming you’re doing sets of 4 or higher with the weight below).

That’s ok though, weightlifting and adding slabs and slabs and slabs of muscle isn’t for everyone.

If 5lb is too much of a jump for you on dumb-bells, or going heavier on the bar and doing it on your own for 6 reps is too scary, don’t worry about it. Just move on over to a physique forum and get LaBuff. No-one here will think any worse of you if you just give up and move on to something else a little bit less mentally challenging. Maybe checkers or something like that where you don’t really have to risk yourself. You just be you, and be happy being that, these little failings don’t reflect in other parts of your life either…

p.s. lift the fucking weights man!!! lift the fucking weight, lift the fucking weight!!![/quote]

When I say “hard” i just ment that progression would be better if there was DB’s in increments of 2.5lbs but yes i get what your saying… Ill just suck it up and plow through

[quote]optheta wrote:
I am a little girl when it comes to the bench I have made progress in it but nowhere to what I should be at. Primarily because i am scared when i bench. Atthe moment im doing 185lbs for reps about 7-10 trying to increase. I have a hard time because I never push myself as hard as I can when I bench i get so scared even with a spotter like i never feel really secure.

I mean squatting is no problem i have the safety bars there to protect me if i dont complete the rep but when im benching no safety bars just my judgment or a random guy that i asked to spot I can’t ever put my trust in him to let me go to failure.

I would FUCKEN love to use the squat rack to bench but there is only one in the Gym and i would feel like an Ass to take it away from somebody who wanted to use it for squatting. Any ideas to help my Fear?[/quote]

Just get over it. It is an understandable fear, though not entirely rational. Don’t mind the abuse, people have and do die getting stuck under the bench press. If your training at a gym there are people around, just don’t be afraid of being embarrassed cause you get stuck.

I’ve been training at home for years, and got stucked under the bar a few times…and I didn’t die :slight_smile:
Man it up!

Just be shure to unrack/rack back the bar with locked elbows. You’ll fail on the way up, which means that the bar will “gently” rest on your chest; at this point, call out for help! You can always grab the bar with both hands on the same side (let’s say the right one), pull with your left arms while pushing with the right one. Even with collars, the bar will fall on your left side (that’s what I did).

If you get stuck, roll the bar down your chest onto you’re stomach, and you should be able to sit up.

You don’t have to train the bench press to failure. With experience, you can tell if you have enough gas to do another rep or not. I don’t think it’s good to fail DURING a rep… definitely not on every set. Failing on a rep during your bench press would make anybody nervous about benching without a spotter. You don’t need to fail, to make progress on your bench press (or any other lift).

Do bench press in a power rack put the side bars just above your chest problem solved

Why don’t you trust your spotter? I’m sure most guys in your gym can deadlift more than 185lb. I’m not trying to belittle the amount you’re lifting, just saying that most guys with some experience deadlifting won’t have a problem reracking the bar just in case you missed the rep.

I haven’t bench pressed in quite a while because some dickhead broke the bench press station doing vertical jumps on it, so I’ve been doing DB and incline smith bench presses as my main chest exercise and find no problem in increasing the amount of weights each workout. Like someone stated before, increase your reps to 10+ before using heavier DBs if the weight jump is too high.

Get a spotter! end of discussion.

Get a spotter! Make sure youre benching with correct form, not just laying on the bench like a dead fish.

Squeeze the traps, arc the back, DRIVE WITH THE HEELS. And don’t be afraid to ask for a spotter.

I usually bench better without a spotter because I know I’m going to look really stupid if I don’t press it back up and have to slide it off me

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
i was incline BB pressing 2 Thursdays ago, not max work, reps of 5. My right shoulder gave out and a felt a huge POP. I managed to get the bar back to the hooks. i grabbed my right shoulder with my left hand and my shoulder was not there. dislocated it. still hurts to raise my hand over my head.[/quote]

I’m calling bullshit on this. I’ve dislocated my shoulder, there is no fucking way your going to “manage” to re-rack the weight.

If I fail on the last rep I let the weight sit on my chest for a second or two, then a picture the bar as a fat drunk chick and press to save my life.

[quote] wrote:
[/quote]

A fat drunk chick with her clothes off???

Do you start screaming as well?

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
Why don’t you trust your spotter? I’m sure most guys in your gym can deadlift more than 185lb. I’m not trying to belittle the amount you’re lifting, just saying that most guys with some experience deadlifting won’t have a problem reracking the bar just in case you missed the rep.

I haven’t bench pressed in quite a while because some dickhead broke the bench press station doing vertical jumps on it, so I’ve been doing DB and incline smith bench presses as my main chest exercise and find no problem in increasing the amount of weights each workout. Like someone stated before, increase your reps to 10+ before using heavier DBs if the weight jump is too high.[/quote]
again why cant u bench in a power rack?

[quote]eggowned wrote:
I usually bench better without a spotter because I know I’m going to look really stupid if I don’t press it back up and have to slide it off me[/quote]

you know youre basically being hypocritical, right? since your whole reasoning for getting the weight up is if you didnt you would look goofy which means you realize that if you get stuck you look dumb which could all be avoided by having a spot in the first place.

Try resting a bar with 185 on your chest sometime.
Surprisingly, it won’t kill you!

And if you have a spotter, you should be problem free.
It’s not like you’re going to be benching 300+ in a few weeks.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
JaX Un wrote:
i was incline BB pressing 2 Thursdays ago, not max work, reps of 5. My right shoulder gave out and a felt a huge POP. I managed to get the bar back to the hooks. i grabbed my right shoulder with my left hand and my shoulder was not there. dislocated it. still hurts to raise my hand over my head.

I’m calling bullshit on this. I’ve dislocated my shoulder, there is no fucking way your going to “manage” to re-rack the weight. [/quote]

let me clarify. I was incline BB benching. on the 5th rep my right shoulder/pec/arm gave out and i could not lift it any further without it crashing down on me. my left arm was fine and the left side of the bar reached above the second J-hook, the right side of the bar was about half way between the first and second J-hook. And this time i was still uninjured, i just could no longer lift the weight anymore. I slammed the bar back into the racks and lowered it slowly to make sure i hit the hooks instead of my face, i lowered it too quickly and my right elbow slipped PAST parallel compared to the bar. lowering the bar in that position to the first J-hook popped the head of the humerus out of the acetabulum or labrum or whatever the shoulder socket is called.

pretend you are benching and put your arms in that position and feel the stress it puts on one of your shoulders. Now pretend you have 200lbs in the air( i know, i am not strong). But i have no reason to lie about this.

In my applied kinesiology class( one week prior to this) we had just learned how to set a dislocated shoulder. I was lucky and the second i got my muscles to relax my shoulder popped right back into my socket. i still can’t do any overhead pressing/overhead pulling without the top anterior(i think it is the supraspinatus tendon of my rotator cuff) in a crapload of pain. Sometimes when i am walking i can feel my shoulder wobble and drop down a little if i let it relax.

Quit being a pussy, that’s all I can say.