T Nation

Benching Endurance vs Strength

I am definitely an anomaly when it comes to maxing charts. I realize they are guidelines, but I am way off.

For instance, I repped 225 15 times the other day, on a cut, after doing heavy sets.

The most I have EVER benched is 295.

Most max calculators put me quite a bit higher than 315, usually 330ish.

What gives?

For my purposes this is better than the other way around, as I have a 225 reps test in the near future, but I am still curious about the answer to this riddle.

For what it’s worth… that discrepancy doesn’t seem odd at all (esp. if you don’t train for max effort work)…

Don’t trust 1RM calculators… they can be misleading.

You’re on the same level with me. Pretty much exactly. I can rep 225 about 12-15 times and my best bench is 300, so we’re damn close.

CS

The 1RM calculations are not supposed to be used after 10 reps. They are also less accurate the higher the reps, so your 5RM would be a better indicator than 10. They are also less accurate if you train 1 range more than the other, so if you only do 10+ reps for training, your tested 1RM is going to be horrible, and if you only train at 1-3 reps, your 10RM will suck.

^ Confirmed.

CS - cool. See you at 315 for reps

sufi - interesting to know that >10 reduces accuracy. Can’t say I’m surprised given the 40lb swing between reality and the calculator.

Recently I’d say I train the lower range more often, interestingly enough. I do a lot of drop sets and pump-work after the heavy stuff, though, so perhaps I react more quickly to that type of training.

In any case, the journey continues…

I have found that increasing 1rm will increase your reps at a lower weight, but increasing reps does nothing for a 1rm.

Heavy low rep sets…

Funny, my 1RM is always more (sometimes way more) than would be predicted with a 3/5/8RM calculation. I finally developed that “super strenght for one rep” that everyone that doesnt do regular max effort training theorizes they have.

This is so much the case that I am trying to work rep ranges where I am weak since my 1RM has plateaued on some lifts.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
I have found that increasing 1rm will increase your reps at a lower weight, but increasing reps does nothing for a 1rm.

Heavy low rep sets…[/quote]

This. Also, calculators i ngeneral don’t mean jack shit, and especially if you are dealing with 10+ reps.