Bench Workout...Try It!

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Oh shit.

x4

-chris[/quote]

x5

This is plain stupid. Which means it’s perfect for most high school kids!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Avocado wrote:
Oh shit.

x4

-chris

x5

This is plain stupid. Which means it’s perfect for most high school kids![/quote]

agreed, This workout looks terrible. I dont see the benefit from it at all.

There’s nothing wrong with drilling a lift frequently if you want to get good at it. Many of the best powerlifters in the IPF follow that strategy. That said, this is really not the best way to do it…at all.

Why is this especially for high school kids? Why would anyone train a single lift to failure three times a week? Why, especially with a beginning lifter, would you ignore basic structural balance and overall muscle mass development, even for a few weeks?

People who get the most out of plans like Korte’s 3x3, or Albert Fomin’s templates, or Sheiko’s templates, where you are doing the competitive lifts multiple times per week, have already been lifting for awhile and have developed a base of mass and motor ability by performing a wide range of tasks…not drilling the hell out of the bench press.

Interestingly enough, most high school kids are probably doing something similar to this…but with curls in place of the dealifts, and high rep crunces in place of the squats.

By the way, OP, if that’s you cleaning 410 pounds in the other thread, then you are an absolute beast, and can post pretty much any assinine training plan you want…respect. That is a beautiful clean and absolutely frightening.

You really should be training at an OTC if you aren’t already. Dear god.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
By the way, OP, if that’s you cleaning 410 pounds in the other thread, then you are an absolute beast, and can post pretty much any assinine training plan you want…respect. That is a beautiful clean and absolutely frightening.

You really should be training at an OTC if you aren’t already. Dear god.[/quote]

Yeah. huge beast or not what he is presenting here is a training program. therefore we [should] judge the program based on its merits and[/or] shortfalls.

If every guy that was stronger than a retarded kid on PCP was a good coach there would be a ton of way better athletes in this world. but that is not the case. No amount of kung-fu power on earth will make you a results producing coach. I don’t see how being a strong ass beast makes anyone a good coach.

“Man, I just hit a PR in my bench rep out. Somehow i now know a better way to structure the in-season speed/agility block for my senior girls volleyball team. Phew, good thing I had a big breakfast this morning or those ladies would be some slow ponies out there this season.”

So if we look at the program [or rather 1/3 of a program, which includes 2 other lifts, DL and Sq] we have to ask.

does it work? [apparently yes, at increasing bench press]

does this matter? [If you have a high school power lifting team with great shoulder genetics and durability]

Is it safe? [juries out i suppose. this is a bigger discussion. I know more than a few coaches and ART doc’s that would suggest something different]

Is there a more optimal alternative? [I’d say]

So if the goal of the school athletes is to be better at the big 3 then we are in business. But if as athletes they are tested in some other means [as in on the court, feild or pitch] then maybe there is a more diverse program that can cater to a more diverse range of skills.

It’s not that the big 3 wont help out in most sports [at least DL and Sq will. I’m not sold on BP making anyone better at sports]. but i would say that since the budding athletes arent dedicated power lifters yet, and don’t win games for BP rep outs, a more diverse program would better help them become a well rounded athlete who can specialize better at the varsity/college level.

But, i mean, the dude’s more jacked than a motorhome RV with flat tires. you cant argue with him. He might eat you, get stronger and thereby help his kids tee-ball team take home the county champs.

Although, just cause he is a freakish monster doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach. There is ALWAYS something to be said for having extensive and successful experience in sports and training. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. I typically prefer a coach who has done what i want to accomplish as well as made others succeed similarly.

that being said, The OP does have a dope avatar. You can tell a lot about a man by his avatar. I mean, I wouldn’t trust him at all if he had some kind of ghey blue disney character for his picture.

-chris