T Nation

Bench Workout...Try It!

Bench workout for High School aged students:
First…make sure you eat…alot!

Bench Press example:
225x
215x
215x
195x

The goal of this example is to warm-up, then go after the heavy weight first- to failure (helped reps don’t count).

If you do 7 or more reps with the heaviest weight then the following bench workout you move up 10lbs for every set.

results vary but may look similar to this:
1stWO 2ndWO 3rdWO 4thWO 5thWO

warm-up warm-up warm-up warm-up warm-up
225x6 225x7 235x5 235x7 245x4
215x8 215x9 225x7 225x7 235x4
215x7 215x6 225x6 225x6 235x4
195x10 195x9 205x9 205x9 215x7

Do this workout with your weight amounts.
Monday Wed Friday or Tues Thurs Friday

take 4min atleast for rest inbetween sets.

There will be workouts where you perform badly there will be weeks where your bench continues to climb.

Teenagers can get away with this due to the increased hormone production. I benched 440lb at 17yrs old following this program from December 97-March-98. I tried this program again at the age of 25 and platued within 2 weeks…it’s amazing what age does to you!

I will be using this template on my client that is 15yrs old. I will post the results every week!

So it’s nothing but bench press 3x a week?

yeah… There is a squat workout and dead lift workout that goes along with this.

However, they don’t increase in weight like the bench press. They only increase weekly not workout to workout.

There is no assistant exercises that go with the bench…It’s all out for all for weights.

This would be good to use to break through any training platues. In that case I would limit this to 2-4weeks.

Jon

[quote]cownuttz70 wrote:
yeah… There is a squat workout and dead lift workout that goes along with this.

However, they don’t increase in weight like the bench press. They only increase weekly not workout to workout.

There is no assistant exercises that go with the bench…It’s all out for all for weights.

This would be good to use to break through any training platues. In that case I would limit this to 2-4weeks.

Jon

[/quote]

Add even a set of barbell rows/pullups? I worked out with young guys who were ‘bench specialists’ in their teens, who ended up with posture that was almost crippling by 22.

(just my .02 cents)

[quote]cownuttz70 wrote:
Bench workout for High School aged students:
First…make sure you eat…alot!

Bench Press example:
225x
215x
215x
195x

The goal of this example is to warm-up, then go after the heavy weight first- to failure (helped reps don’t count).

If you do 7 or more reps with the heaviest weight then the following bench workout you move up 10lbs for every set.

results vary but may look similar to this:
1stWO 2ndWO 3rdWO 4thWO 5thWO

warm-up warm-up warm-up warm-up warm-up
225x6 225x7 235x5 235x7 245x4
215x8 215x9 225x7 225x7 235x4
215x7 215x6 225x6 225x6 235x4
195x10 195x9 205x9 205x9 215x7

Do this workout with your weight amounts.
Monday Wed Friday or Tues Thurs Friday

take 4min atleast for rest inbetween sets.

There will be workouts where you perform badly there will be weeks where your bench continues to climb.

Teenagers can get away with this due to the increased hormone production. I benched 440lb at 17yrs old following this program from December 97-March-98. I tried this program again at the age of 25 and platued within 2 weeks…it’s amazing what age does to you!

I will be using this template on my client that is 15yrs old. I will post the results every week!

[/quote]

How would you structure the warm up to 225lb?

I agree with the comment about adding rows and pullups. With all that pressing, there are going to be some major imbalances. A Westside template might be a better choice. There is still the emphasis on getting stronger on the big lifts, but the program includes pulling and assistance exercises.

This looks stupid to me.

The majority of highschool lifters are retarded and utterly misinformed.

I hope a lot of people don’t think you “got something there” with this gem of a workout.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
This looks stupid to me.

The majority of highschool lifters are retarded and utterly misinformed.

I hope a lot of people don’t think you “got something there” with this gem of a workout.[/quote]

x2

I think the best part of this underrated workout is the flexibility it offers.

I can either do it on Monday Wednesday and Friday, or Tuesday Thursday and Friday.

how about you do it 8 days a week!

get a huge bench and totally get laid.

this workout is horrible. your working your CHEST.

what about; the REST of your body.

ugh f*ck this.

Today’s High School student is the equivalent of yesterday’s Middle School student.

We are fucking doomed as a nation.

Serenity now.

Having seen a video of this dude I wouldn’t knock his ideas.

I’m sure that in subsequent programs the imbalances are ironed out. Just in this one all a persons energy is required for the benching.

[quote]AndyG wrote:
Having seen a video of this dude I wouldn’t knock his ideas.

I’m sure that in subsequent programs the imbalances are ironed out. Just in this one all a persons energy is required for the benching.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen people in person that are cut from stone, strong as hell and been training for 6 months. Doesn’t mean I’m going to do everything they do just because they’re jacked.

It’s only a suggestion. I used this template when I was a senior in high school. It really made my body adapt. As of now I Change my programs any where from 2-4 weeks. One- because I am 28 and don’t have the increased hormones as I did when I was 18. 2-because I get bored as hell.

I have no posture problems, However, that could be due to the deadlifts that go along with this workout. The upper back and posterior chane are engaged and are strengthened.

The reason for not doing anything other than squat, bench and deadlift was so that we would put our ALL into this workout. The auxillary exercises were not done until I got into college.

It all depends on the individual. It worked wonders for me and has gotten many of my clients out of a platue.

Jon
http://www.hust4money.com

[quote]cownuttz70 wrote:
It’s only a suggestion. I used this template when I was a senior in high school. It really made my body adapt. As of now I Change my programs any where from 2-4 weeks. One- because I am 28 and don’t have the increased hormones as I did when I was 18. 2-because I get bored as hell.

I have no posture problems, However, that could be due to the deadlifts that go along with this workout. The upper back and posterior chane are engaged and are strengthened.

The reason for not doing anything other than squat, bench and deadlift was so that we would put our ALL into this workout. The auxillary exercises were not done until I got into college.

It all depends on the individual. It worked wonders for me and has gotten many of my clients out of a platue.

Jon
http://www.hust4money.com [/quote]

Link doesn’t work very well. Same as bench program.

TNT

[quote]cownuttz70 wrote:
The reason for not doing anything other than squat, bench and deadlift was so that we would put our ALL into this workout. The auxillary exercises were not done until I got into college. [/quote]

The problem is many beginners will make this their whole routine, and skip the squats and deadlifts. Why don’t you post the squat and deadlift workouts, so that people who read this have the whole picture?

I don’t get it, Do you warm-up and then do 4 sets to failure with the first set being the heaviest set?

I would like to do this with Curls. CAn I do this, but add 5 more sets, for, like, ‘the burn’?

Also som crunches would be cool (for the six pak).

[quote]Otep wrote:
B rocK wrote:
This looks stupid to me.

The majority of highschool lifters are retarded and utterly misinformed.

I hope a lot of people don’t think you “got something there” with this gem of a workout.

x2[/quote]

x3… seriously

Oh shit.

x4

-chris