T Nation

Bench Weakness?

Went benching today. did my usual routine of DBs for incline press used 35 lbs. I could barely get it up twice before my arms gave out. Btw beforehand, I did back extensions, rear delts, etc. Does ne1, know why my arms gave out so soon. Also, I’m used to doing 35 lbs. w/ ease even did 40 lbs. before. Anyway, to correct this problem? Thanks!

[quote]rblack wrote:
Went benching today. did my usual routine of DBs for incline press used 35 lbs. I could barely get it up twice before my arms gave out. Btw beforehand, I did back extensions, rear delts, etc. Does ne1, know why my arms gave out so soon. Also, I’m used to doing 35 lbs. w/ ease even did 40 lbs. before. Anyway, to correct this problem? Thanks![/quote]

You were tired from back extensions rear delts etc

[quote]n3wb wrote:
rblack wrote:
Went benching today. did my usual routine of DBs for incline press used 35 lbs. I could barely get it up twice before my arms gave out. Btw beforehand, I did back extensions, rear delts, etc. Does ne1, know why my arms gave out so soon. Also, I’m used to doing 35 lbs. w/ ease even did 40 lbs. before. Anyway, to correct this problem? Thanks!

You were tired from back extensions rear delts etc[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Is that a question or an answer? Also, should I try to do bench at the beginning of my workouts not towards the middle or end?

[quote]rblack wrote:
n3wb wrote:
rblack wrote:
Went benching today. did my usual routine of DBs for incline press used 35 lbs. I could barely get it up twice before my arms gave out. Btw beforehand, I did back extensions, rear delts, etc. Does ne1, know why my arms gave out so soon. Also, I’m used to doing 35 lbs. w/ ease even did 40 lbs. before. Anyway, to correct this problem? Thanks!

You were tired from back extensions rear delts etc

Thanks for the reply. Is that a question or an answer? Also, should I try to do bench at the beginning of my workouts not towards the middle or end?[/quote]

yes you should if you want to get strong at benching

It was an answer.

You really do not give a lot of detail, but there are a lot of possible answers.

  1. You could have been tired from doing previous exercises or if you have been training your arms too frequently.

  2. A previous injury could be causing some instability in your shoulders that cause the sensation of your arms giving out. I sometimes get this sensation when dumbell bench pressing. It occurs in my left arm which was broken when I was a teenager.

The upper arm is shaped slightly different than the other arm and the shoulder is not quite as strong. Previous injuries would be something to think about.

  1. If you were tired or your nutrition is not on track you could experience some problems in the gym. Also any kind of stress (problems at work, relationships, etc.) can tax your body.

  2. You may have just had a random bad day in the gym. Sometimes there are no explanations for these occurence. Sometimes the weights feel really heavy, but other days they feel light.

  3. It could be that your overall body is not real strong. Please don’t take this as an insult, because as I write this I am still working on developing strength. However, overall (head-to-toe) body strength can translate into bigger benches because your body becomes a stable platform from which to push the weight.

I have noticed since I started deadlifting and squatting that all my lifts are getting stronger. If you are not including heavy, basic compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, barbell bench presses, chinups/pullups, rows, dips, etc.) in your routine then the smaller dumbell exercises may stagnate.

Like the guy above said, you probably had a bad day. Back extensions and rear delts have no effect on incline DB pressing as that exercises works the Chest, Anterior Delts and Triceps. If you are trying to concentrate on making your bench go up then you should put it first.

[quote]BigDaddyT wrote:
You really do not give a lot of detail, but there are a lot of possible answers.

  1. You could have been tired from doing previous exercises or if you have been training your arms too frequently.

  2. A previous injury could be causing some instability in your shoulders that cause the sensation of your arms giving out. I sometimes get this sensation when dumbell bench pressing. It occurs in my left arm which was broken when I was a teenager.

The upper arm is shaped slightly different than the other arm and the shoulder is not quite as strong. Previous injuries would be something to think about.

  1. If you were tired or your nutrition is not on track you could experience some problems in the gym. Also any kind of stress (problems at work, relationships, etc.) can tax your body

  2. You may have just had a random bad day in the gym. Sometimes there are no explanations for these occurence. Sometimes the weights feel really heavy, but other days they feel light.

  3. It could be that your overall body is not real strong. Please don’t take this as an insult, because as I write this I am still working on developing strength. However, overall (head-to-toe) body strength can translate into bigger benches because your body becomes a stable platform from which to push the weight.

I have noticed since I started deadlifting and squatting that all my lifts are getting stronger. If you are not including heavy, basic compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, barbell bench presses, chinups/pullups, rows, dips, etc.) in your routine then the smaller dumbell exercises may stagnate.[/quote]

[b] To answer some ?s about my thread NOT being that detailed. As for the first answer given, it was most likely the first part of your point 1 NOT the latter. It was NOT 2 or 3 b/c I have never been injured; I was not tired felt as though I had some energy left.

It could have been point 4 as well because I do have an occasional bad day but that’s before I get to the gym, not once I am at the gym. Point 5 is also true for me b/c I am just beginning to squat again as for my bench I have been doing that for a while using DBs b/c I don’t have a spot for BBs. Plus, I train alone. Find I can get more done that way. I do have people I can turn to for motivation.

Hope that this has added some detail to my thread for those that thought I may have been lacking in information about my problem. Thanks to BigTDaddy, SdotCarter and to everyone else that has been so gracious in responding to my thread. [/b]

Yesterday I did some pulldowns and hammer curls yesterday I got bored lateron waiting for my ride to show up and I thought I would see If I could cheat curl 185 for a couple reps. I put on 135 and couldnt get 1.

You dont have to feel tired to be tired.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Yesterday I did some pulldowns and hammer curls yesterday I got bored lateron waiting for my ride to show up and I thought I would see If I could cheat curl 185 for a couple reps. I put on 135 and couldnt get 1.

You dont have to feel tired to be tired.[/quote]

lol thats funny

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
n3wb wrote:
Yesterday I did some pulldowns and hammer curls yesterday I got bored lateron waiting for my ride to show up and I thought I would see If I could cheat curl 185 for a couple reps. I put on 135 and couldnt get 1.

You dont have to feel tired to be tired.

lol thats funny[/quote]

Yeah Im suprized no 30-50 year old guy ran up to me in tights telling me its to much weight for me and about how they used to curl 300lbs for reps back in the day.

Aparently everyone who used to use freakish amounts of weights now enjoys makeing the 20’s look like they weigh a 1000lbs in between watter, news paper, and chat breaks.

Ok Im totaly off subject, Il let the thread die now…

[quote]n3wb wrote:
redsox348984 wrote:
n3wb wrote:
Yesterday I did some pulldowns and hammer curls yesterday I got bored lateron waiting for my ride to show up and I thought I would see If I could cheat curl 185 for a couple reps. I put on 135 and couldnt get 1.

You dont have to feel tired to be tired.

lol thats funny

Yeah Im suprized no 30-50 year old guy ran up to me in tights telling me its to much weight for me and about how they used to curl 300lbs for reps back in the day.

Aparently everyone who used to use freakish amounts of weights now enjoys makeing the 20’s look like they weigh a 1000lbs in between watter, news paper, and chat breaks.

Ok Im totaly off subject, Il let the thread die now…[/quote]

Thanks for the comment; don’t hijack my thread with things that won’t contribute to my growth or someone else’s. aight?

Rear delts don’t have anything to do with bench, I thought. I thought bench was only chest, tricep, front delt.

[quote]rblack wrote:
don’t hijack my thread with things that won’t contribute to my growth or someone else’s. aight?[/quote]

lol. So now your the judge of what will help a person “grow”? You learn something every time you read or talk to people even if its nothing more than how to deal with that people…

If you were open minded you would have seen that you could have learned something from what I wrote.

That specific thing being

I and alot of people in general dont like it when people who dont know shit about lifting to begin with or just realy small weak people, correct them about lifting. Or they tell them what they have to say dosent help anyone.<

Ironic in this situation.

I hope some one reading this will understand it and grow from it.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
Rear delts don’t have anything to do with bench, I thought. I thought bench was only chest, tricep, front delt.[/quote]

They do have something to do with it. Unbalanced shoulders can pull your shoulders forward and give you possible shoulder injury’s. And if your body thinks its going to get injured it will naturally try to keep you from moving enough weight to hurt your self.

But thats not this situation, A easier way to explain it would be:

Go for a 20 mile jog, once your done and can barley move your legs, breath or see, try to bench. You wont have as much energy and you wont move shit worth of weight.

But this is a very extreme example.