Bench Tips

I have to do a max bench press on wednesday for my spring sport. Ive been training consistently for the last 5 weeks now with my bench.I would love simple advice and tips on form and breathing, basic things like this or links to articles.

warm up with a “light” weight, probably <135, and star with a grip much wider then you normally would. slow on the way down, then put that bar up as quick as you can. do about 8-10 reps, then on your actual lift, bring your hands in close again, it will blast you through those sticking points

[quote]ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:
warm up with a “light” weight, probably <135, and star with a grip much wider then you normally would. slow on the way down, then put that bar up as quick as you can. do about 8-10 reps, then on your actual lift, bring your hands in close again, it will blast you through those sticking points [/quote]

I’m going to try that out tomorrow.

Have you ever tried a max before? Do you have a realistic number you are aiming for?

Pull your shoulder blades together and arch your back.

Even if you’ve never practiced bencing like a powerlifter and you flare your elbows way out pulling your shoulder blades together and arching your low back will reduce your stroke.

Shorter ROM=more weight.

Read this

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Have you ever tried a max before? Do you have a realistic number you are aiming for?[/quote]

Another question is, how many chances do you have to hit a max? If you go too high can you try something lower?

[quote]tpa wrote:
Read this

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

[/quote]
Thanks for the link. I didn’t realize you were supposed to pull your shoulder blades together. The part about trying to tear the bar apart sounds hard to do without your elbows flaring out but I’ll give it a try.

Bench PR things to remember

1. Before lifting the bar off, I visualize it moving in my head 2-3x.

2. Set your body arch.

3. Breathe.

4. Get it in the right position on lift off.

5. Hold your breath through lift off and on the way down.

6. Exhale on exertion on the way up.

7. Believe. If you don’t belive you can lift it, I promise you that you can’t.

i believe my max is 120, not very good but ive been trying to get it up along with my body weight

also, before the last set where you hit your projected one rep max, unrack something that is like thirty pounds heavier than your projected 1RM and just hold it up without unflexing your elbows. Most people will feel intimidated by how heavy their one RM feels, so by just feeling a weight that is much heavier, your 1RM will feel light…

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Most people will feel intimidated by how heavy their one RM feels, so by just feeling a weight that is much heavier, your 1RM will feel light…[/quote]

This is a great tip. This one also ties in with my holding the breath through lift off. When lifting off, if you exhale you kinda feel as if the weight is crushing you, (making you lose air) this is why I always hold my breath through lift off and the way down. As soon as you think “this is freaking heavy” you’re done. By holding your breath you never really get that thought.