T Nation

Bench Throws on a Smith Machine or Bench?

I did some bench throws on a Smith Machine yesterday at about 30% of my bench press. Does anyone here use these or do bench throws and just catch the bar.
Do you think I will get anything out of them?

thanks
Chris

Please, please don’T try them on a normal bench. If you don’t throw the bar in a straight line it will comedown on you like a sledgehammer.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Please, please don’T try them on a normal bench. If you don’t throw the bar in a straight line it will comedown on you like a sledgehammer.[/quote]

You can do drop catches in a rack, but please don’t do throws, that’s asking to die ( unless you have pins setup at chest height that can save you from a crushing blow to the face/chest/abdomen.

Throws are best done in the smith machine.

… Please do them normally and please video it lol

What’s the purpose of said “bench throws”?

It seems less effective than dynamic work at around 50-70%. If you’re looking to generate maximum power at lockout, why not just use bands or chains? At 30%, you’re holding back on force output and mainly training velocity which will probably reach a limit. Power = force x velocity.

What are you trying to get out of it?

To get a bit faster. I hadn’t thought about doing them in the powerrack. I think I will just stick to the Smith machine for now.

I guess you can try it out and see how it goes. Doing that will help you get a bit faster at throwing up 30% of your bench for sure. But IMO, I don’t see it having much carryover for speed of a 1RM. I also haven’t seen this specific situation in the past either so I don’t have a strong opinion that it can’t work.

[quote]decimation wrote:
To get a bit faster. I hadn’t thought about doing them in the powerrack. I think I will just stick to the Smith machine for now. [/quote]

Why do you have to physically let go of the bar to get faster? Why not just do your ‘throws’ but hold onto the bar?

Also, why would you do something incredibly dangerous just ‘to get a bit faster’?

If you want to do speed work, just press against band resistance. you can explode off the chest, and work against a substantial resistance at the top of the movement.

You could also try other safer alternatives
-do dynamic pushups
-throw a medicine ball chest pass style
-do benches presses with a long pause at the bottom
-do benches from pins at the bottom position in the power rack

Josh Bryant has a whole book on benching fast. “Bench Press: The Science.” You should check out.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
-do dynamic pushups

Josh Bryant has a whole book on benching fast. “Bench Press: The Science.” You should check out. [/quote]

This is basically what I was going to recommend. I can’t think of any conceivable reason to need to throw a barbell up in the air while im laying flat on a bench.

If you really want to get explosive do it with DB’s on a flat bench…

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
-do dynamic pushups

Josh Bryant has a whole book on benching fast. “Bench Press: The Science.” You should check out. [/quote]

This is basically what I was going to recommend. I can’t think of any conceivable reason to need to throw a barbell up in the air while im laying flat on a bench.
[/quote]

x3

This feels more like a circus trick than an effective training method.