T Nation

Bench Shirt Alteration...

I picked up a single ply bench shirt just for a little protection while rehabbing my shoulders. I probably should have got one a bit larger as I am not really looking for any large carryover.

I can still get it on but it’s really much tighter than I need it to be. So my question is whether anyone has cut the back of their shirt and whether that would help me with the fit. I really don’t want to have to send it back across the border to change the sizing. Thanks in advance.

I have done that before. Made the shirt fit, but since I was still bulking grew out of that in a month(only have had 2 months in a shirt and that was a year in a half ago).

I went and cut my old one after reading this, I’d been meaning to for a while.

Much easier to get on, I think I’ve grown out of my old one, but it was still easier to get up than before.

I’ll cut my next practice shirt too.

Open back is the way to go.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
I picked up a single ply bench shirt just for a little protection while rehabbing my shoulders. I probably should have got one a bit larger as I am not really looking for any large carryover.

I can still get it on but it’s really much tighter than I need it to be. So my question is whether anyone has cut the back of their shirt and whether that would help me with the fit. I really don’t want to have to send it back across the border to change the sizing. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Cutting the back is so you can pull it down lower so it takes more too touch.

It might be easier to get on but if you get it on easy now it is not that tight.

Good luck

jack

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

Much easier to get on, I think I’ve grown out of my old one, but it was still easier to get up than before.

I’ll cut my next practice shirt too.[/quote]

How did you cut it? Just with scissors and are you planning on hemming the cuts? Oh, and did you cut all the way, including collar or leave the collar in tact?

[quote]jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Me talking…

It might be easier to get on but if you get it on easy now it is not that tight.

Good luck

jack

[/quote]

First time even trying a shirt so I don’t know if it’s too easy. But remember, this is just for shoulder protection, not for competition.

I tried it out last night and got some pretty good burst blood vessels under my arms so I don’t think it’s too loose. I am just looking for something that I can put on fairly easily and not spend a ton of time adjusting.

So, I guess I am saying, it is probably a decent competition fit, but I need it more for casual practice fit. Do you think that I would be better off exchanging it for a larger size or just cutting it?

Oh, and am I ever glad I added a few inches to my measurement before ordering or I would be doubly screwed…

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Me talking…

Good luck

jack

First time even trying a shirt so I don’t know if it’s too easy. But remember, this is just for shoulder protection, not for competition.

I tried it out last night and got some pretty good burst blood vessels under my arms so I don’t think it’s too loose. I am just looking for something that I can put on fairly easily and not spend a ton of time adjusting.

So, I guess I am saying, it is probably a decent competition fit, but I need it more for casual practice fit. Do you think that I would be better off exchanging it for a larger size or just cutting it?

Oh, and am I ever glad I added a few inches to my measurement before ordering or I would be doubly screwed…

[/quote]

Z,

If you can get it on yourself, or with just alittle assistance, it is about right for you. Keep the neckline against your neck and you can get protection without a ton of weight being required to get the bar down.

When you twist the sleeves inward and pull the neck down it changes everything. Add in a tight shirt and you are playing the game for real!

jack

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Me talking…

Good luck

jack

[/quote]

take the scissors and cut it all the way up the middle of the back through the collar. you’re still going to have a hard time getting it set on your arms properly but a little bit of practice and you’ll be able to slip it on and off pretty quickly. with the open back you can pull the collar down a bit lower and you should get some decent carry over even if it is loose. i have a couple of old shirts cut like this for days when i have to train alone

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

How did you cut it? Just with scissors and are you planning on hemming the cuts? Oh, and did you cut all the way, including collar or leave the collar in tact?[/quote]

I cut mine like Robo1 said, just straight up and down the back. It was just an old Fury though.

[quote]jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Me talking…

Good luck

jack

Z,

If you can get it on yourself, or with just alittle assistance, it is about right for you. Keep the neckline against your neck and you can get protection without a ton of weight being required to get the bar down.

When you twist the sleeves inward and pull the neck down it changes everything. Add in a tight shirt and you are playing the game for real!

jack[/quote]

Well, I am able to get it on myself, but that is probably due to flexibilty than anything. Took a good amount of time and effort. However, getting it off almost ran into me needing someone to come over and rescue me from it. Eventually used the rack and a towing strap to hook under the back to help pull. That would have made for a nice story for one of my friends…

And just for the record, I can completely see the huge smile on your face as you talk about a tight shirt with turned sleeves and the neck pulled down.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

How did you cut it? Just with scissors and are you planning on hemming the cuts? Oh, and did you cut all the way, including collar or leave the collar in tact?

I cut mine like Robo1 said, just straight up and down the back. It was just an old Fury though. [/quote]

Well, that’s a step up from what I have here. Just an Inzer Blast Shirt…

[quote]robo1 wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
jackreape wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Me talking…

Good luck

jack

take the scissors and cut it all the way up the middle of the back through the collar. you’re still going to have a hard time getting it set on your arms properly but a little bit of practice and you’ll be able to slip it on and off pretty quickly. with the open back you can pull the collar down a bit lower and you should get some decent carry over even if it is loose. i have a couple of old shirts cut like this for days when i have to train alone[/quote]

Yeah, I train alone so that’s where I really run into trouble. That’s why I thought I was ordering it large. Who knew I was so massive(note the sarcasm).

Well, still a tad scared to slice it but you guys have me pretty convinced. Chalk this up to experience with the sizing. I’m not that big and went by the sizing on two different sites and then upped it a 56. But that’s life…

So any tips on putting on a cut shirt? I’ll play around with it but would appreciate any advice, even just whether I should use a belt to hold it in place or not…

When My shirt was cut I found it easy to get on, Jam one arm in first, then use the arm in the shirt to help the other arm get through, Its hard to explain but once you cut it you will see what im talking about.

Well, no turning back now. One of the ladies I worked with is going to slice it and hem it up nice and solid for me. Thanks to all and I will let you know how it goes…