T Nation

Bench Rule Proposal - Whatever Became of it?

Obviously it was voted (old proposal about 2003 I seem to remember) out but what is your opinion?

After sentence which reads:

The lifter must then return the bar to arms length with no excessive/immoderate uneven extension of the arms, both arms locking out simultaneously/together. Insert the following:-

In the course of pressing out, the bar must travel a minimum distance of 15 cm i.e. from the highest point of the chest to the underside of the bar when the arms are fully extended.

Causes for Disqualification of a Bench Press.

Page 17 new item.

Failure to press the bar to full extension of the arms with at least 15 cm of movement.

Reason:
It has become quite obvious that the sport of powerlifting is being ridiculed now that a “shrug of the shoulders” appears to be all that is needed to be an acceptable movement / within the rules.

This is probably to prevent Mike Womack style bench

So, you want the same people that can’t even judge squat depth correctly to have to estimate a distance too? Gee, I can’t see any possibility of that being an absolute disaster.

IMO, if somebody wants to get fat enough or fuck their back up enough to get a few extra lbs on a lift in a competition NOBODY CARES ABOUT and one that THERE IS NO MONEY IN then let them. Seriously, who fucking cares.

Enforcement would be an absolute disaster. With bench, you already are watching for 90 million things at once - ass on the bench, foot movement, head up, extension/lockout, etc. We’re supposed to make sure wrist wraps aren’t more than 12 cm up the wrist. No one ever looks and sees everything at once. Adding another measurement would be a disaster.

Not to mention, we do have quite a few lifters who naturally have a very, very short ROM. Do they get a medical exemption?

Gee, institute another rule that will be impossible to exforce, or actually enforce the rules that exist, … you know, lock out at the start, noticeable pause on the chest no lower than the zyphoid process, lock out at the top, with a little leeway for uneven extension without regression. Lets just stick with whats already in the book and try to enforce those.

this is just fucking stupid. They should obviously make the distance 14.34cm, that way it will be fair for everyone.

/sarcasm

Maybe the answer is to limit gut size.

Who wouldn’t want to see a SHW in a new style bench shirt?

There are dwarves who compete, y’know.

Powerlifting is not fair. Sorry. Guys with short arms will- all else being equal- out-bench guy with long arms. Guys with short arms and thick torsos are set up to bench. But long armed folks like are set up better to pull. Also, we can wipe our own asses. So it evens out in the long run.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Powerlifting is not fair. Sorry. Guys with short arms will- all else being equal- out-bench guy with long arms. Guys with short arms and thick torsos are set up to bench. But long armed folks like are set up better to pull. Also, we can wipe our own asses. So it evens out in the long run.[/quote]

QFT. It more or less evens out imo.

No-one complains about how it’s unfair people over 6’6" have an advantage at basketball…should we impose a limit on how high they can jump when guarding shorter people? Seriously, if you’re built for a sport/endeavor, fucking play it and excel! If not, find something else. How damn hard is this to understand?

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
… you know, lock out at the start, noticeable pause on the chest no lower than the zyphoid process, [/quote]

Gee I guess I forgot my X-ray glasses!

If something like this ever does get passed, then they better get rid of sumo deadlifting too. Its the same arguement, because the bar doesnt travel as far.

I can’t wait until we have instant replays, or let the auidience phone in their votes. Talley those up and then you get your lifts. That would fair.

How about naked powerlifting? With a fourth judge laying directly under you while you squat to make sure you dont have knee wraps shoved up your ass. Now that would be RAW!!!

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Powerlifting is not fair. Sorry. Guys with short arms will- all else being equal- out-bench guy with long arms. Guys with short arms and thick torsos are set up to bench. But long armed folks like are set up better to pull. Also, we can wipe our own asses. So it evens out in the long run.[/quote]

This is such a fucking cop-out. (not meaning to be an asshole but this thread is really pissing me off). I have an 84inch reach and I am 6’2’’ tall. My fucking hands pretty much drag behind me when I walk, but i still make decent progress on my bench because I work the shit out of my weaknesses, which I am willing to bet is your lockout too. Train smarter and your bench will go up.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Pinto wrote:

This is such a fucking cop-out. (not meaning to be an asshole but this thread is really pissing me off). I have an 84inch reach and I am 6’2’’ tall. My fucking hands pretty much drag behind me when I walk, but i still make decent progress on my bench because I work the shit out of my weaknesses, which I am willing to bet is your lockout too. Train smarter and your bench will go up.[/quote]

So, you don’t even have to break the bar from the ground to lock it out deadlifting, eh? You MUST be a cheater!

If something like this ever does get passed, then they better get rid of sumo deadlifting too. Its the same arguement, because the bar doesnt travel as far.

I can’t wait until we have instant replays, or let the auidience phone in their votes. Talley those up and then you get your lifts. That would fair.

How about naked powerlifting? With a fourth judge laying directly under you while you squat to make sure you dont have knee wraps shoved up your ass. Now that would be RAW!!![/quote]

And then you also have to measure the distance traveled on a squat. This is a very slippery slope and seems totally asinine.

[quote]Pinto wrote:

This is such a fucking cop-out. (not meaning to be an asshole but this thread is really pissing me off). I have an 84inch reach and I am 6’2’’ tall. My fucking hands pretty much drag behind me when I walk, but i still make decent progress on my bench because I work the shit out of my weaknesses, which I am willing to bet is your lockout too. Train smarter and your bench will go up.[/quote]

Chill out man, it ain’t an excuse, it’s a fact.