Bench Regressed

A little background. I’m 23, weigh ~90 kg at 177cm (~200lbs @ 5’10") and have been training for the last 3 and a half years, mostly on a 4 way split, with the general goals of increased mass and strength. I’ve gained around 18 kg in that time.

Over the last 4 months, I’ve been testing Eric Cressey’s new program, somewhat of a follow up to Maximum Strength (his book). It has been a great program, 2 upper and 2 lower days. I followed it as outlined, minus the conditioning, as I was purely aiming to get stronger (this was an acceptable option outlined by him at the start).

Yesterday was retesting (after 6 days off lifting as EC suggested), my goals were to improve my deadlift, bench and neutral grip pull up during the time (he didn’t outline any specific lifts to test, left that to us).

Anyway, my bodyweight increased 2 kg, my deadlift went from 180 kg to 200 kg, my 3RM neutral grip pull up from BW + 20 to BW + 40 kg (with 2kg more BW), however my bench ‘only’ increased 10kg, from a pathetic 90 kg, to a less pathetic 100 kg. Which is weird, because during the training, about half way through, I benched 105 kg.

My goal was to hit 110 kg by the end of the 16 weeks.

Testing went:
Bar * 10,
60 * 5,
80 * 3,
90 * 1,
100 * 1 (Miss),
90 * 1,
100 * 1,
110 * 1 (Miss).

I can’t say why I missed the first 100, but would that have adversely affected my performance. Any ideas as to why my bench regressed? I probably would have been happy with 105 kg again, that would still have been a 15 kg (~33 lbs) lifetime PR.

So your deadlift and pull up went up a lot, and you hit a PR bench in training and you’re complaining?

No, I’m ecstatic with the results otherwise.

More so trying to figure out what went wrong with my bench. Possible something to do with the testing? Too much warm up? Not enough? The missed lift (mostly due to concentration) negatively affected subsequent lifts? I jumped up too much from 100?

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
So your deadlift and pull up went up a lot, and you hit a PR bench in training and you’re complaining?[/quote]

x2

i think the problem is that you are lifting in kilograms. switch to pounds and your bench will go through the roof:)

worked for me… true story.

You probably shouldn’t put so much emphasis on one attempt. maybe you just were having a bad lifting day, or even more simply you got out of the groove. Which seems pretty feasible since you got 100 on attempt 2.

My response isn’t very scientific, but it seems pretty unusual (practically unheard of actually) for people to make big gains in several lifts at once. I personally have never been able to advance all three powerlifting lifts at once, and all the people I train with have the same experience. As a couple others have stated, be happy with the progress you’re making, and don’t assume that you’ve done something “wrong” to account for the lower progress in the bench.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i think the problem is that you are lifting in kilograms. switch to pounds and your bench will go through the roof:)

worked for me… true story. [/quote]

I’ve heard this can up your numbers by 220% in a single day.

[quote]Dr J wrote:
My response isn’t very scientific, but it seems pretty unusual (practically unheard of actually) for people to make big gains in several lifts at once. I personally have never been able to advance all three powerlifting lifts at once, and all the people I train with have the same experience. As a couple others have stated, be happy with the progress you’re making, and don’t assume that you’ve done something “wrong” to account for the lower progress in the bench. [/quote]

I find this to be correct, at a certain level you can’t just get stronger in all lifts at the ssame time.

Also, did you test bench last? Thats a lot of PRs back to back, try it fresh.

Would have to agree with DoubleDeuce, probably just one of those days. If you are like me, i.e. deadlifter build with long-ass arms, bench PRs take time and patience. It seems that if even one little thing is off, whether its form/fatigue/etc, shit goes down hill when attempting a heavy single.

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Also, did you test bench last? Thats a lot of PRs back to back, try it fresh.[/quote]

I tested the pull-ups first, then bench, then deadlift. I wasn’t really fatigued after the pull ups, if anything, more amped.

[quote]power_bulker wrote:
Would have to agree with DoubleDeuce, probably just one of those days. If you are like me, i.e. deadlifter build with long-ass arms, bench PRs take time and patience. It seems that if even one little thing is off, whether its form/fatigue/etc, shit goes down hill when attempting a heavy single. [/quote]

This is probably likely, just frustrates me I guess. But big deadlifts do look pretty cool, so I’ll take my lot. Just got to make mine big now.