Bench Press - Wrists Bend Back

[quote]TRTblastcruise wrote:
Yeah suicide grip failing videos. I’ve seen it in person, its ugly. And only with thumbless grip. Never seen it with thumbs wrapped around.

[/quote]
I’ve seen some worse than that. Horrible.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:

• asks for advice in the powerlifting forum, concerning a powerlift
  • completely disregards the advice of the two most successful powerlifters on this forum

uh…okay[/quote]

does Ryan Kennelly bench thumbless?
does scott mendelson bench thumbless?

No.

are they stronger powerlifters than your crushes on this forum?

Yes.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:

There are also lots of different ways to hurt yourself lifting weights. This whole thumbless grip genocide seems like a knee jerk reaction by some people who’ve maybe never tried it? I find it a lot more comofortable for overhead pressing,personally.[/quote]

Or who have tried it but prefer not to use it? What do you OH press, or bench?

Christ, here we go with this bullshit again. There is nothing wrong with false grip. Listen to the guy with the fucking 500-lb bench.

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
Christ, here we go with this bullshit again. There is nothing wrong with false grip. Listen to the guy with the fucking 500-lb bench.[/quote]

What about listening to the guy with a 715 pound raw bench.

And the “Whos bench is bigger than Whos” contest begins…

And the “Whos bench is bigger than Whos” contest begins…

If your wrists are bending backwards it’s because you are gripping the bar too high up in your hand.

Using a thumbless grip makes it so that you must have the bar in the lower portion of your hand.

If you are going to be scared about using a thumbless grip, why don’t you use it with light weights so you get a better idea where the bar should be, then just stick your thumb out for heavier weights.

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
Christ, here we go with this bullshit again. There is nothing wrong with false grip. Listen to the guy with the fucking 500-lb bench.[/quote]

What about listening to the guy with a 715 pound raw bench. [/quote]

Which poster is he, and where did he say not to go thumbless?

The biggest pull in the world is conventional, so everyone who pulls sumo is an idiot, AMIRIGHT?

Who… Scott Mendelson? I don’t think he posts here.

Did I say anything about deadlifting? No.
Did I call anyone an idiot? No.
Is there a possibility of dropping the deadlift bar on your throat, clavical, sternum, or even potentially the solar plexus by deciding between conventional or sumo? No.
Does that have absolutely anything to do with this conversation? No.
Do you however make a strong point for deadlifting conventional? Yes.

It’s times like this I remember that everyone is the same, no one is different, and leverages are a myth.

Who… Scott Mendelson? I don’t think he posts here.

Did I say anything about deadlifting? No.
Did I call anyone an idiot? No.
Is there a possibility of dropping the deadlift bar on your throat, clavical, sternum, or even potentially the solar plexus by deciding between conventional or sumo? No.
Does that have absolutely anything to do with this conversation? No.
Do you however make a strong point for deadlifting conventional? Yes. [/quote]

And Mendy using full grip doesn’t mean he would say others shouldn’t. How can we “listen” to a 700+ pound bencher if he hasn’t said anything about the subject?

Another thing you can try to to attempt to “bend the bar” instead of just squeezing it.

^^ Duce… I wanna see a thumbless grip on that Catfish in your Avi… haha

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

And Mendy using full grip doesn’t mean he would say others shouldn’t. How can we “listen” to a 700+ pound bencher if he hasn’t said anything about the subject?[/quote]

You’re right and I really care very little to continue this conversation, but here is a quote from Mendelson:

“Once I was bench pressing with a false-grip and I got 584 lbs. to lock-out. The spotters thought I had it, so they took their hands away. The bar slipped, and 584 lbs. bounced off of my chest twice. I couldn’t breathe properly for 2 months.”

He now uses a thumb-around grip so take what you want from that.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

And Mendy using full grip doesn’t mean he would say others shouldn’t. How can we “listen” to a 700+ pound bencher if he hasn’t said anything about the subject?[/quote]

You’re right and I really care very little to continue this conversation, but here is a quote from Mendelson:

“Once I was bench pressing with a false-grip and I got 584 lbs. to lock-out. The spotters thought I had it, so they took their hands away. The bar slipped, and 584 lbs. bounced off of my chest twice. I couldn’t breathe properly for 2 months.”

He now uses a thumb-around grip so take what you want from that. [/quote]

My take on that is to make sure you have good spotters.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
^^ Duce… I wanna see a thumbless grip on that Catfish in your Avi… haha[/quote]

No deal. A hook grip works best on fish.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Okay, that’s a fair point.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

My first question would have been, has he said anything on the subject? He has, apparently. Fair.

But my guess would be that if benching with a thumbless grip allowed him to bench more, he’d do it.

Further, losing the bar isn’t an issue if you are benching with the kind of benches that have “safety catches,” for lack of a better term. They are there to protect the neck, etc. Or just bench in a power rack if it’s a huge concern. Either way, it’s not the big deal people are making it out to be.

Do you know anyone personally who has lost the bar with a false grip? I don’t. This isn’t a smartass question, either.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
^^ Duce… I wanna see a thumbless grip on that Catfish in your Avi… haha[/quote]

No deal. A hook grip works best on fish.[/quote]

lol… nice