T Nation

Bench Press Work the Back/Lower Back?


#1

Does bench press (heavier ones) work the upper and lower back. I say this , as my back seems a little worked from them. Anyone experience this. I never thought my bench would help my deadlift.


#2

[quote]decimation wrote:
Does bench press (heavier ones) work the upper and lower back. I say this , as my back seems a little worked from them. Anyone experience this. I never thought my bench would help my deadlift.[/quote]
I wouldn’t say benching “works” the lower back in any major sense. If you’re in a good position and keep everything tight, then sure you’ll feel everything contract, from traps to low back to glutes and hams. And if your low back isn’t well-conditioned, it would make sense that it gets “tired” from benching. The amount of arch you do or don’t use will also be a factor. More arch, more low back “work”.

But all in all, I’d say the bench press works the lower back about as much as squatting “works” the biceps. There’s tension in the muscle during the lift, but it’s from providing stability, not from actually helping to move the weight.


#3

thanks Chris. I probably arched a little.


#4

I could be wrong, but it sounds kinda like you’re looking for an excuse to make every day bench day


#5

Squeeze those shoulder blades the whole time your on that bench and keep your whole back into the bench… No back work involved just improper form.


#6

[quote]TheLilGuy wrote:
Squeeze those shoulder blades the whole time your on that bench and keep your whole back into the bench… No back work involved just improper form.
[/quote]
I only have my mid to upper traps touching the bench, not my whole back.


#7

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]TheLilGuy wrote:
Squeeze those shoulder blades the whole time your on that bench and keep your whole back into the bench… No back work involved just improper form.
[/quote]
I only have my mid to upper traps touching the bench, not my whole back.[/quote]

Me too. Traps and ass.


#8

That’s a power thing. Power vs good hypertrophy. This is ct’s website lookup his bench tutorials. I agree I get more force the more my back is off the bench. But ask yourself is this changing the pushing angle on my chest. It is a flat bench


#9

[quote]TheLilGuy wrote:
That’s a power thing. Power vs good hypertrophy. This is ct’s website lookup his bench tutorials. I agree I get more force the more my back is off the bench. But ask yourself is this changing the pushing angle on my chest. It is a flat bench[/quote]
The OP wasn’t asking about bench tutorials or about how it works the chest.


#10

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]TheLilGuy wrote:
That’s a power thing. Power vs good hypertrophy. This is ct’s website lookup his bench tutorials. I agree I get more force the more my back is off the bench. But ask yourself is this changing the pushing angle on my chest. It is a flat bench[/quote]
The OP wasn’t asking about bench tutorials or about how it works the chest. [/quote]

Ignore him. He is an absolute moron and has no idea what he is doing ever.