Bench Press with Pause Off Chest

Just to be sure, this is how it should looks like?

Basically yes, just make sure you are keeping tight and everything which is the purpose of doing them.

How do you guys work these into your programs?

A bunch of guys at my gym did the Ed Coan bench routine a few months ago. They paused every rep (2 sets for bench press, 2 sets for incline, 2 sets for close grip). Everybody got strong off the chest. The young, skinny guys started to miss lifts at the top near the end of the 12 week program. The older guy developed some kinda elbow issue, he said from the stress of all the pausing.

So maybe too much pausing?

Not PL related; Lately I’ve been doing paused incline bench in sets of 2,3 or 5. I wanted to develop power at the bottom of the overhead press. It seems like its working, but as an unexpected bonus I’ve put on some muscle across the front of my chest and shoulders. I didn’t expect that because the reps are so low. But the pause adds to TUT? Or just rapid gains from the “new-ness” of the movement?

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:

Not PL related; Lately I’ve been doing paused incline bench in sets of 2,3 or 5. I wanted to develop power at the bottom of the overhead press. It seems like its working, but as an unexpected bonus I’ve put on some muscle across the front of my chest and shoulders. I didn’t expect that because the reps are so low. But the pause adds to TUT? Or just rapid gains from the “new-ness” of the movement?[/quote]

Whenever I’m surprised with an unexpected increase in muscle mass, I usually don’t question it!
I’ve just recently started incorporating paused benches in my routine, so I’m interested in what others have to say about this as well. I’ve just been pausing the 1st rep of my top sets (usually 5-6 set of 2-3 repetitions), to see how it feels.

Thanks for answer.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
How do you guys work these into your programs?

A bunch of guys at my gym did the Ed Coan bench routine a few months ago. They paused every rep (2 sets for bench press, 2 sets for incline, 2 sets for close grip). Everybody got strong off the chest. The young, skinny guys started to miss lifts at the top near the end of the 12 week program. The older guy developed some kinda elbow issue, he said from the stress of all the pausing.

So maybe too much pausing?

Not PL related; Lately I’ve been doing paused incline bench in sets of 2,3 or 5. I wanted to develop power at the bottom of the overhead press. It seems like its working, but as an unexpected bonus I’ve put on some muscle across the front of my chest and shoulders. I didn’t expect that because the reps are so low. But the pause adds to TUT? Or just rapid gains from the “new-ness” of the movement?[/quote]

I’ve had similar problems when doing all pause work. Now I do as much pause work as I can and if the reps slow down I go to straight reps. I pause the first rep for all sets since that would be a competition lift and count the rest as volume.

Just do pause work until the bar slows down, then straight reps! If it gets slow, push faster! Sophistication by simplicity!

I was like “why don’t they add plyometric pushups?”

-And questioning bonus muscle mass?

I’m way over-thinking things these days. It’s nice to get these subtle reminders.

If I’m warming up, sometimes I will pause the last rep if the weight is light enough. I ALWAYS pause singles.

I pause about three quarters of my bench variation reps, to be honest. But then, I find it easier to stay tight with a pause at the top and botom. I also find it easier to drive with my legs if I pause on the chest.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
I pause about three quarters of my bench variation reps, to be honest. But then, I find it easier to stay tight with a pause at the top and botom. I also find it easier to drive with my legs if I pause on the chest. [/quote]

Same here. I have increased the amount of paused reps that I do, and I’ve noticed a huge difference. Touch and go reps make me lose position to much.