Bench Press Three Times/Wk?

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

lol what is it that time of the month for you? bench press, even though i have always placed most focus on it has always been a problem to make progress on even when i was just full on bulking for 7 months. I also didn’t say i had not made progress, i said i hadn’t made good progress like i do on other exercises like the squat and deadlift. [/quote]
It’s cuz you got long damn arms. keep DL’ing

You said you could not progress on 5/3/1 which is just absurd. Then you mentioned the fact that you are “bulking” for 4 weeks and it all came together.

Notice any posts recommending that you:
1 - fix your diet
2 - not alter 5/3/1 if you expect it to work

???

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Training a lift multiple times a week is great for getting better at it in most cases. You just have to pay careful attention to how much you’re pushing it. Right now I’m training front squat 3x a week, one “light” day, a medium day, and a heavy day. The first week was rough, 2nd went better, and 3rd week (just did the heavy day today) went great. Basically, give your body a little time to adjust to the frequency, don’t do too much volume, and be aware that it may impact your other lifts.

You can’t expect to specialize in one lift and still make amazing progress in the others. Now, you being a relative beginner, you should be able to still make decent progress in your squat and deadlift if you bench 3x a week, but you’ll probably be best off reducing leg training to 1-2x per week. [/quote]

This is good advice, but I’m skeptical the OP will do anything with it.

I’m sure you’re younger than I am, but I figured I’d throw a couple of thoughts in for anyone else considering jacking up their frequency with any particular bodypart or movement:

-There’s usually a balance between volume, and frequency. When you raise frequency, you will often need to back off a bit in terms of volume (either in these specific training sessions, or perhaps when addressing other bodyparts - as Thibs recommends in his Spec programs) to keep everything within the bounds of your recovery abilities.

-If you’re a bit older, or if joint integrity is a concern, realize that any specific repeated movement pattern can really wear away at your joints. Trying to keep this in mind, when I would do legs twice a week, I would use different exercises on each day, reasoning that to do so much heavy squatting work every few days would really put strain on my back. Not everyone will feel this as much as I did, but after 20 years, that’s a lotta repetitive stress -lol.

S

Unless I missed it the OP mentioned his split but not his programming for bench. There’s mention of 107 for 3 but that’s all. No one bothered to ask what exactly he’s doing for bench. Upping the frequency is a last resort, especially when already benching twice a week.

If you can’t make progress benching 2x/week I’d look at changing the sets/reps/volume. You may even need to bump the frequency down to 1.5x/week (ABA type split). High frequency can certainly work but fix the programming first. It’s even harder to dial in your program at 3x/week than lower frequency (as Stu touched on).

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Training a lift multiple times a week is great for getting better at it in most cases. You just have to pay careful attention to how much you’re pushing it. Right now I’m training front squat 3x a week, one “light” day, a medium day, and a heavy day. The first week was rough, 2nd went better, and 3rd week (just did the heavy day today) went great. Basically, give your body a little time to adjust to the frequency, don’t do too much volume, and be aware that it may impact your other lifts.

You can’t expect to specialize in one lift and still make amazing progress in the others. Now, you being a relative beginner, you should be able to still make decent progress in your squat and deadlift if you bench 3x a week, but you’ll probably be best off reducing leg training to 1-2x per week. [/quote]

This is good advice, but I’m skeptical the OP will do anything with it.[/quote] I asked him how to define ligth medium and heavy or if its a personal thing or related to training experience, i haven’t got a response yet

yeah, i got this reputation on here that i never listen to advice given to me. But simply doing whatever people you don’t know on the internet are telling is stupid. instead my approach is to take everything into consideration, compare with my knowledge and experience and try to expand what i currently know and if i can implement it in my training. so i read and listen to everything

This is good advice, but I’m skeptical the OP will do anything with it.[/quote] I asked him how to define ligth medium and heavy or if its a personal thing or related to training experience, i haven’t got a response yet

yeah, i got this reputation on here that i never listen to advice given to me. But simply doing whatever people you don’t know on the internet are telling is stupid. instead my approach is to take everything into consideration, compare with my knowledge and experience and try to expand what i currently know and if i can implement it in my training. so i read and listen to everything
[/quote]

Well, if you can’t figure out what a light, medium, and heavy day could look like for YOU, then you should stick to a simpler beginner program at this point.

[/quote]

You have a bad reputation for presenting a hypothesis to anonymous people on T-Nation and then arguing with them for pages on end when they don’t agree with your hypothesis. The people responding here probably didn’t have the pleasure of reading your 3week bulk/1week cut thread.

The truth is, no one here can say whether you should be benching 3x a week, because no one here knows anything about you or your current training program. You’ve made the topic even more confusing by stating that 5/3/1 is too advanced for you (“The Simplest and Most Effective Training Program To Increase Raw Strength” - hilarious, whomever pointed that out), yet you are asking if you can bench 3x a week - a relatively advanced strategy most novice and intermediate strength programs do not advocate.

My guess is you already decided to bench 3x a week before you even posted, and you were hoping everyone here would tell you what a neat idea that was.

If you decide to do it, please do a shitload of shoulder prehab and facepulls, etc. Your shoulders will thank you.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
My guess is you already decided to bench 3x a week before you even posted, and you were hoping everyone here would tell you what a neat idea that was.
[/quote]

This was exactly the same case with his last thread too.

[/quote]

at beginner level 1-4 rep max is heavy 5-10 is medium, 10+ is light. As you lift more you’ll have days when there are greater variation in your maxes, but by then you will have a feel for what is heavy what is medium and what is light.

Some people use percentages
85% + heavy
70-85% medium
65 % < light

Didn’t you say a couple months ago that you were about to start BBB? I remember this because you seemed pretty adamant about adding conventional deads instead of RDL’s because you “train for strength” and not have “just for show muscles”. Looking at your past year long history and the sheer quantity of different programs in there, you couldn’t have tried any one of them for very long.

How long did you try 5/3/1 for that it supposedly didn’t work and have you ever tried something like a starting strength type program or even a body building split designed by someone experienced? Also, you most certainly can bench 3 times a week, I did it for a long time, however, you have to pay close attention to how much additional stress you are putting onto your shoulders. Also most of my sessions while doing that were sub-maximal and rarely taken to failure, and I think you could run into some problems if you tried to run maximal or rep to failure high intensity sessions on the bench 3x’s a week.

I gotta say I believe in High frequency and adjusting high stress and high intensity with most exercises, especially with Squat and Bench. before my injury I was Benching 3 times a week, and it improved for the better, I circulated floor presses, different paused benches (usually 2ct or Tng), Banded bench and Board Presses and it help hone in my form, confidence and strength.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I gotta say I believe in High frequency and adjusting high stress and high intensity with most exercises, especially with Squat and Bench. before my injury I was Benching 3 times a week, and it improved for the better, I circulated floor presses, different paused benches (usually 2ct or Tng), Banded bench and Board Presses and it help hone in my form, confidence and strength. [/quote]

John Broz does it, and whether you agree with everything he says or not, he gets pretty solid results. I like his example of a guy just starting a very physical job. There have been plenty of people who have worked jobs that have caused there bodies to adapt to daily high stress training for years and years.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I gotta say I believe in High frequency and adjusting high stress and high intensity with most exercises, especially with Squat and Bench. before my injury I was Benching 3 times a week, and it improved for the better, I circulated floor presses, different paused benches (usually 2ct or Tng), Banded bench and Board Presses and it help hone in my form, confidence and strength. [/quote]

John Broz does it, and whether you agree with everything he says or not, he gets pretty solid results. I like his example of a guy just starting a very physical job. There have been plenty of people who have worked jobs that have caused there bodies to adapt to daily high stress training for years and years. [/quote]

Yep, as does Mike Turscherer who did my programming for the past 6 months until I was injured. As long as your smart you could get positive results, and you dont have to be on teh roidz

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

John Broz does it, and whether you agree with everything he says or not, he gets pretty solid results. I like his example of a guy just starting a very physical job. There have been plenty of people who have worked jobs that have caused there bodies to adapt to daily high stress training for years and years. [/quote]

Yep, as does Mike Turscherer who did my programming for the past 6 months until I was injured. As long as your smart you could get positive results, and you dont have to be on teh roidz
[/quote]

Judging by your avi, whatever your doing seems to be working out pretty well for ya brother. Ha looking awesome, but my sympathies on being a Jets fan (if that’s what I am gathering from the background)

Lol thanks for compliment and condolences!

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Didn’t you say a couple months ago that you were about to start BBB? I remember this because you seemed pretty adamant about adding conventional deads instead of RDL’s because you “train for strength” and not have “just for show muscles”. Looking at your past year long history and the sheer quantity of different programs in there, you couldn’t have tried any one of them for very long.

How long did you try 5/3/1 for that it supposedly didn’t work and have you ever tried something like a starting strength type program or even a body building split designed by someone experienced? Also, you most certainly can bench 3 times a week, I did it for a long time, however, you have to pay close attention to how much additional stress you are putting onto your shoulders. Also most of my sessions while doing that were sub-maximal and rarely taken to failure, and I think you could run into some problems if you tried to run maximal or rep to failure high intensity sessions on the bench 3x’s a week. [/quote] I didn’t, said i was thinking about trying it.

I have been on the same split for about 8 months, the exercises have varied and programming have varied but not much the major difference is what i decided to do around 2 months ago with implementing down periods and linearly increasing volume. The split i used for around 7 months before was not much different 6 days instead of 5 days a weeks. before that i have done 5/3/1 and before that again i did full body 3x/week.

thats not too much variation in three years. 5/3/1 isn’t magic, if you want to shit talk me based on something i said or do, make sure i actually said or did the thing

5/3/1 isn’t magic,[/quote]

There is no magic in this game. Dedication, consistancy, nutrition, and smart programming are the backbone of results.

5/3/1 works just like starting strength, WS4SB, Sheiko, Smolov, etc…

The concept is simple the execution is the challenge.

I’ve run Sheiko (3x/week benching) based numbers a few times now…

Every time my bench got stronger.

For my last two cycles and current one I even bench back to back, Mon/Tues and then the third day on Thursday. Still seen pretty good growth. And no, I am not eating so that my lifts go up – I am pretty much the exact weight of when I began the cycles just with less body fat and more muscle (especially in my chest). No injuries and my chest always feels great. I like to also add in a variation on the Tuesday and end the Thursday with a lot of tricep work.

There ain’t rules like benching x times a week and squatting y times a week…only what works for you and what doesn’t.

I’m assuming because this is in the BSL forum, you kind of want to be big and strong.

You could do Big Beyond Belief. Google the program, ebook is floating around for free out there. Anyways, you can set that up where you’re hitting every body part 3x a week, so you could do a variation of benching 3x a week on that program, and it will cycle rep ranges, intensity, volume, density, all that for you.

Just my 2 cents.