Bench Press, The Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of

[quote]GoldenChild wrote:

[quote]HallikFrank wrote:
Allright, I thought you meant pounds (given that you listed your bodyweight in pounds), which confused, me as that would be a ridiculously weak for someone at your BW and training age. At any rate, Id say those are some pretty solid lifts. Just out of curiousity, how much do you military press?[/quote]

miliatry press 87.5kgx3
push press is 120kg x1[/quote]

Just an observation; your military press number seems a little low compared to your bench. In comparison, I can military press more than that and my bench 1RM is probably about 20 kgs less than yours. Perhaps strengthening your shoulders further could be of some benefit. Anyway, Im just thinking out loud here.

When you bench, where do you seem to stall? Top of lift, bottom, mid way?

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:
When you bench, where do you seem to stall? Top of lift, bottom, mid way?[/quote]

mid way

Allright, I thought you meant pounds (given that you listed your bodyweight in pounds), which confused, me as that would be a ridiculously weak for someone at your BW and training age. At any rate, Id say those are some pretty solid lifts. Just out of curiousity, how much do you military press?[/quote]

miliatry press 87.5kgx3

Just an observation; your military press number seems a little low compared to your bench. In comparison, I can military press more than that and my bench 1RM is probably about 20 kgs less than yours. Perhaps strengthening your shoulders further could be of some benefit. Anyway, Im just thinking out loud here.[/quote]

i have been trying to do that lately using military and push press. its helped with the incline got that up to 150kg x3 when i last tested it

what yours

I also think it may be due to shoulder strength. But try to get a video in when possible.

Board presses just below the sticking point are worth a shot.

Plus, if you are missing at midpoint, it likely means you are still a little weak off the chest. Make sure you are using your lats and rowing the weights down and stay tight.

As you likely know…As the weights get bigger, technique becomes all the more important on a lift. Mentally some 4 or 5 board presses will get you accustomed to holding big weight.

Oh yeah, dump the pin presses…they hurt everyones shoulders. Board presses are way better.

it can only be one of two things, 1) its mental, and/or 2)its technique, we’ll see when we get this vid tho.

still a fucking good bench for someone so lean.

miliatry press 87.5kgx3

Just an observation; your military press number seems a little low compared to your bench. In comparison, I can military press more than that and my bench 1RM is probably about 20 kgs less than yours. Perhaps strengthening your shoulders further could be of some benefit. Anyway, Im just thinking out loud here.[/quote]

i have been trying to do that lately using military and push press. its helped with the incline got that up to 150kg x3 when i last tested it

what yours[/quote]

I have no idea what my incline max is. I just recently started doing inclines, using lighter weight and higher reps after Im done benching.

100% british beef out here and ours weight come in kilos[/quote]

Thank the Lord, I was going to tell you to pull up your fuckin’ skirt and grab your balls for doing 170 lbs. Glad you clarified that.

Sounds like technique, go find a PL gym near by, pay the $5 to work for the day and see what you can work out with the most experience guy to help you with your bench. Or, what Dave Tate’s 6 week bench cure. Or, his “So you think you can Bench” series.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
“So you think you can Bench” series.[/quote]

No single thing helped my bench more than this. The two biggest take aways i got from it was the elbow tuck, and the arch. I’ve always false gripped.