T Nation

Bench Press Suffers immensely....

So im 17 years old with a 1RM of 315 lbs on the bench press.

Although when I go to this one gym I can barely do 245 for 6 reps and at my usual gym i go to i can do 245 for at least 10 reps.

Do you guys think this is a mental barrier issue? Also when i go to other gyms besides that one, i can still put up the weights i normally do.

I have never experienced my warm up weights feeling extremely heavy and my form also biggest shitty, with bent wrist and bad leg drive....

Hope you guys could give me some ideas why, this happens everytime i go there.

Have you weighed the bar and plates at both gyms?

245lbs is always 245lbs

[quote]238 wrote:
Have you weighed the bar and plates at both gyms?[/quote]

This. Most likely things weigh different amounts. Unless the plates are calibrated, the number is more of an estimate. Also, physical construction of the actual bench itself changes things. Bench width, height/placement of j-hooks, material of padding/amount of padding, height of bench, etc.

As Pwnisher said, the construction of the bench matters a lot. If you aren’t getting a lift off, then the height of the pick up and also where you set up with relation to the bar is going to be very important for getting tight and into a good position. I find a very big difference based on my ability to get a good setup, particularly as I reach heavier weights.

Benching with a Texas squat bar?

Based on a few clues in your previous thread, I came to the conclusion that your 315 bench press is probably not accurate in some way. Either you get a lot of help from your usual spotter, or you don’t touch your chest. Either of these factors, and particularly the first one, could absolutely explain why you’re ‘weaker’ when you’re not at your usual gym. I’ve seen 17 year old kids lift. A bro spot is a near certainty.

… But a video could, of course, prove me wrong.

No Offense Intended;

Are you intimidated by something/someone at the gym were you lift poorly?
Is it really big and wide-open compared to the gym were you usually lift?

I know that nobody here will admit to being a little nervous “on the road.” But even seasoned, high-level professional athletes sometimes perform better at home, in more familiar surroundings.

I remember being a high school athlete at 17. I was a senior, team captain, etc. I’d still get super nervous when the bus would pull into the other schools’ parking lot. Or at the weigh in before a meet.

Aside from what others have said, it’s important to note that not all bars have the markings in the same places. If you set up the same are bars with different markings, your grip width may be different.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Aside from what others have said, it’s important to note that not all bars have the markings in the same places. If you set up the same are bars with different markings, your grip width may be different.[/quote]
I learned this the hard way. Plus bench height, plates being off, and some bars are lighter or heavier than 45 lbs.

There are so many equipment-dependent factors that can affect your performance, and I find this to be especially true of the bench press. Bench height, material (i.e., adhesiveness), thickness, the adjustability of the hooks, the presence of safety rails, bar thickness, bar knurling, whether the sleeves rotate or not, the distance between the rings, the quality and exact weight of the plates are some factors that I’ve noticed. I can work with some equipment and bench a “few kilos” more than when I use the calibrated Eleiko weights, Texas Power Bar and competition bench at my home gym.

Either always train bench at the same facility and simulate meet conditions as best you can (by adjusting the above variables), or find a better gym with competition plates, bars and benches. Or get used to this discrepancy and don’t make too big of a deal out of it.

Check the bar, if you use the rings to get your bench width, some bars are different, my gym has several bars- ranging from 31.5" between the rings to 35.75- that’s over 4" of difference!

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Based on a few clues in your previous thread, I came to the conclusion that your 315 bench press is probably not accurate in some way. Either you get a lot of help from your usual spotter, or you don’t touch your chest. Either of these factors, and particularly the first one, could absolutely explain why you’re ‘weaker’ when you’re not at your usual gym. I’ve seen 17 year old kids lift. A bro spot is a near certainty.

… But a video could, of course, prove me wrong.[/quote]

Hey guys, gonna give a quick update on my findings. I weighed the plates I always used at my gym and turns out they are all 5 lbs lighter and one bar there is also 5 lbs lighter. theres only specific plates which actually weigh 45/46 lbs there…kinda pisses me off that i/people think they are lifting heavier than they actually are oh well