Bench Press Sticking Point

I know there have been a couple of threads about this lately but I didn’t want to hijack. My sticking point on my flat bench press is about halfway or 2/3 up. I have long arms, so I can usually get enough of a stretch reflex response to get the weight off my chest.

My sticking point is above maybe a 3 or 4 board. Last week I did 2 boards and when I missed my last attempt, I got off of the boards easily enough, but I just couldn’t lock it out. What supplemental or accessory exercises would you recommend? Unfortunately I dont have access to a rack, so rack lockouts are out of the question. Any ideas?

Maybe try floor presses, or put together a 5 board.

Take a look over at elitefts.com, they have heaps of good info that may help

[quote]InFlames wrote:
Maybe try floor presses, or put together a 5 board.

Take a look over at elitefts.com, they have heaps of good info that may help[/quote]

I prefer a 4 board over a 5, because a 5 doesn’t feel to me like it has the same groove I use when I bench full range, whereas a 4 board feels fairly close.

If you have access to minibands, use them. The bands will be very helpful in teaching you to develop speed off your chest. If you can get the bar moving quickly, then there’s a good chance you can grind through that sticking point. Speed benching with bands will be especially productive.

3 I’d recommend. Remember that the main goal is to heave the weight up so that you can flair your triceps out and finish it off.

1. Probably the simplest is closegrip steep (45-60 degree) incline presses. 5 rep max.

2. Bench press with a pair of mini bands attached to the ground closer to your feet than normally. This is probably best with a close or medium grip. Again, the purpose is to get the shoulders under the bar long enough to get the triceps under it. Probably 3-5 rep max.

3. Standing press with a closegrip but only until the bar reaches about the top of the head. Try to tilt the scapula under below the bar. I like this for 5 x 5 quick reps. Bands are good here too.

Thanks for the responses. I have a pair of mini bands, but I was told I was too weak to use them at this point(atleast for DE). My current full range bench is about 250-260. Weak, I know. I have been training now just short of a year. Would you guys recommend using the bands as part of ME work?

I have used DB floor presses, however my gym’s DBs only go up to 100 and I don’t have access to a rack or someone to hand me the bar for floor presses. I can get about 6 or 7 reps with DB floor presses AFTER my ME lift, so I wouldn’t consider that to be ME work.

Il second floor presses even though they are probably quite a bit lower than your sticking point they would still help

rack lockouts a little lower than your sticking point would be good but I think board presses would be your best bet

I added the close grip military presses to my RE day yesterday. They felt good and after moving my grip in closer, I hit a new PR on them. The closer grip is easier on my beat-up shoulders. I will be keeping these in my arsenal. I did them all the way to my chest though. You recommend shortening the ROM?

As far as the inclines, I just came off a 3 week cycle of them as my ME bench movement. I hit a PR each week and they felt good. My grip was pinkies-on-rings, do you suggest a closer grip?

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
3 I’d recommend. Remember that the main goal is to heave the weight up so that you can flair your triceps out and finish it off.

1. Probably the simplest is closegrip steep (45-60 degree) incline presses. 5 rep max.

2. Bench press with a pair of mini bands attached to the ground closer to your feet than normally. This is probably best with a close or medium grip. Again, the purpose is to get the shoulders under the bar long enough to get the triceps under it. Probably 3-5 rep max.

3. Standing press with a closegrip but only until the bar reaches about the top of the head. Try to tilt the scapula under below the bar. I like this for 5 x 5 quick reps. Bands are good here too. [/quote]

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I added the close grip military presses to my RE day yesterday. They felt good and after moving my grip in closer, I hit a new PR on them. The closer grip is easier on my beat-up shoulders. I will be keeping these in my arsenal. I did them all the way to my chest though. You recommend shortening the ROM?

As far as the inclines, I just came off a 3 week cycle of them as my ME bench movement. I hit a PR each week and they felt good. My grip was pinkies-on-rings, do you suggest a closer grip?

mertdawg wrote:

3. Standing press with a closegrip but only until the bar reaches about the top of the head. Try to tilt the scapula under below the bar. I like this for 5 x 5 quick reps. Bands are good here too.

[/quote]

Actually, with the closegrip “military” press, I recommend lifting the first half of the movement only-from chest to about the top of the head.

And for these, as well as inclines, I recommend a very close grip-hands, elbows and shoulders all in line, or hands even a little closer, and stay tight and tucked.

And a final supplimental that may help is dips, with a “reverse shrug” held at the top, or pushups this way.

you mean like a “plus” at the top? I believe that is the term for it.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
And a final supplimental that may help is dips, with a “reverse shrug” held at the top, or pushups this way.[/quote]

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
you mean like a “plus” at the top? I believe that is the term for it.

mertdawg wrote:
And a final supplimental that may help is dips, with a “reverse shrug” held at the top, or pushups this way.

[/quote]

Yes