T Nation

Bench Press Stalling at a Low Weight

For the past month or so I have been stuck on benching 70kg.

I normally do 3 sets of 10 reps.

With 70kg i would get 10 reps for the first set, then for the 2nd and 3rd sets around 6-8 reps.

For my tricep exercises I do skullcrushers and close grip bench and for shoulders I just do shoulder press.

It seems when I struggle with benching I can get it off my chest ok, its half way through I can't lock out, then my arms just drop. Should I try floor pressing or JM presses or something?

Or should I change my rep scheme and lift heavier with lower reps?

Any advice would be great thanks!

my advice is, make sure your getting proper nutrition so that your body has fuel for energy, and for recovery. maybe change your reps up, rest time, and dont train to failure.

And this string has a bunch of links

Try to increase your BB row and your pull-up...make shure your technique is good, and switch rep/set: 10 set of 3 reps, starting with the same load and increasing it slowly!

My advise mate is to ditch the 3 x 10 crap.

Start pyramiding your sets.

e.g your bench.
Warm up and do a few light weight benches, then,
60kg x 12
70kg x 10
80kg x 8
90kg x 5
each week you will get stronger and you will be able to do more reps and move up the weight easier.
Dont worry about the exact number of reps, just do as many as u can and up the weight and keep going...

Also make sure your diet is good, most people dont eat enough, you need protien, slow digesting carbs and healthy fats...

Fewer reps more sets.

Hammer those triceps.

ditto, i stalled like crazy on a 3x10 scheme, but when i changed to 5x5, i started to make progress again

The problem is your weight. You shouldn't be struggling until the third set. Don't worry about low numbers, it'll increase. You should also work some strength into that routine. Typically I do a 10 x 3 followed by a 5 x 10. If you're still new, I'd go with a 5 x 5 (or 8 x3) and your 3 x 10. Just remember to select the weight that's right for you. The last sets should be where you struggle. Hope this helped.

Also, remember appropriate rest periods depending on what you're doing. If it's low reps at high weight, typcially 2-3 minutes is fine and if its high reps at low weight, around 60-90 seconds works too. These guidelines aren't specific, but try not to exceed them. If you feel you can recover with less time and still give the same effort, then do it!

You want strength? 3x10 for strength is useless. I highly recommend a 3x4,4x4, and/or 5x4 rep scheme instead. And once you train with that rep scheme, move on to either 2x2, 3x2, 4x2, or 5x2.

Why dont train to failure?

Floor pressing regularly seems to have brought up my raw bench quite a bit.

Why would you guys say this is true? I have heard this before.

Floor press works the top half of your bench, and that is where the OP said he was failing. In general, top end/heavy tri work should take care of that.

I personally like them because I've had a lot of success with them, especially with increasing the number of reps on my "last raw warm up". My boyfriend's bench also increased quite a bit when he replaced his speed work with chain FP.

Another one of these threads...

You bench 70kg! You don't need to do anything special except follow a good simple program (starting strength with appropriate accessory work, a bill starr 5x5 variation ...) and build some muscle. If you've been doing the same thing for a while, change it up.