Bench Press Shirt

I had my first experience with my inzer single ply bench shirt yesterday. Is the cutting in of the shirt into your armpits normal. I found i didn’t gain much out of the shirt, is there a specific way to increase poundage when the shirt is on or am i missing the boat.
rsvp

yes the cutting is normal. Those are “bite marks.”

Getting more out of it? Either pull the collar lower down or gain weight. Those are the only two I have any experience with.

Getting carryover may vary. That is more of a side effect since using a shirt is more for stability and joint protection. When you are lifting big numbers, the protection added by a shirt is well called for, and the carryover is a bonus.

[quote]djoh615893 wrote:
Getting carryover may vary. That is more of a side effect since using a shirt is more for stability and joint protection. When you are lifting big numbers, the protection added by a shirt is well called for, and the carryover is a bonus.[/quote]

Shirts are made to give you the maximum amount of carryover. It is basically their only selling point.

Bear

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
djoh615893 wrote:
Getting carryover may vary. That is more of a side effect since using a shirt is more for stability and joint protection. When you are lifting big numbers, the protection added by a shirt is well called for, and the carryover is a bonus.

Shirts are made to give you the maximum amount of carryover. It is basically their only selling point.

Bear[/quote]

Not with an old inzer sinlg ply. Those were made solely for protection.

To the original poster, cut the shirt all the way down the back and pull the collar down and lock the shirt in with a belt. Pull the collar down little by little. It takes a while to get the feel for this.

can you explain a little more about what pulling the collar down means. Back of collar or front

thanks

Pull the collar down lower on your chest. You can do this more after you cut the back of the shirt open. You can only do it so much with a closed back.

Specifically, which shirt is it? That makes a difference.
Personally, I wouldn’t even mess with the old-style Blast series anymore (Blast, HD, HPHD, EHPHD)
Get an Inzer Rage to start with.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
Pull the collar down lower on your chest. You can do this more after you cut the back of the shirt open. You can only do it so much with a closed back.[/quote]

But would a federattion such as USAPL let you use an open back shirt like that?

[quote]gojira wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:
Pull the collar down lower on your chest. You can do this more after you cut the back of the shirt open. You can only do it so much with a closed back.

But would a federattion such as USAPL let you use an open back shirt like that?[/quote]

no, they require closed back as does NASA…

APF, APA are ok with open back.

I myself can’t stand wearing closed back shirts.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
gojira wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:

[/quote]

Actually…Does the APA allow open back shirts? I know they allow double ply but I thought it had to be closed. I dunno I’m an APF/IPA open back guy!

[quote]eaglepower wrote:
can you explain a little more about what pulling the collar down means. Back of collar or front

thanks[/quote]

it sounds like what you need is a crew of experienced lifters. everyone always says “get in a training crew, get in a training crew” but I can understand that being difficult since its not like they exactly advertise. My advise is to do a local meet and just try to, um, “meet” people there, no pun intended. You should be able to strike up a conversation with SOMEBODY in the area with a training crew. until then, heres an article for you

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_shirt_101.htm

PS - you can also twist the sleeves. The easiest way to do it by yourself is, as you are putting the shirt on, do so with your palms facing upwards. that way as you pronate your wrists to grab the bar, it twists the sleeves

Hey Eagle: A bunch of questions for you!

1. What kind of shirt do you have?
  2. What league are you planning on competing in (Assuming you are thinking of competing)
  3. How tight is the shirt?
  4. Height, weight, Arm length?
  5. General description of your technique? Are you a classic bodybuilder bencher: Elbows out touching high on the chest?

The advice to get with at least one other experienced powerlifter is the best thing you can do is exactly right. A good lifter/crew can help you more in a single session than we can in a month online…

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
mattwray wrote:
gojira wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:

Actually…Does the APA allow open back shirts? I know they allow double ply but I thought it had to be closed. I dunno I’m an APF/IPA open back guy![/quote]

they sure do…

BENCH SHIRTS: BENCH SHIRTS MAY BE OF POLYESTER OR DENIM MATERIAL BUT NOT A COMBINATION OF THE TWO. BENCH SHIRTS MAY BE UP TO DOUBLE PLY THICKNESS MATERIAL BUT MAY NOT BE A OMBINATION OF TWO SHIRTS OF ANY TYPE SEWN TOGETHER. A TEE SHIRT OR UNDERSHIRT CANNOT BE WORN UNDER A BENCH SHIRT. NO COMBINATION OF 2 SHIRTS MAY BE WORN. FEMALE LIFTERS ARE ALLOWED TO WEAR A BRA OR SPORTS BRA UNDER A BENCH SHIRT. BENCH PRESS SHIRTS MAY NOT BE TRIPLE LAYER THICKNESS NOR MAY THEY BE MADE OF CANVAS MATERIAL. VELCRO/OPEN BACK SHIRTS ARE ALLOWED. IF THE LIFTER IS WEARING AN ?OPEN BACK? BENCH SHIRT THE FRONT AND SIDE DELTOIDS MUST BE COVEREDAND THE SHIRT MAY NOT BE PULLED DOWN IN FRONT TO EXPOSE PECTORALS WITHIN ONE INCH OF THE NIPPLE AREA
OF THE CHEST.

KEVLAR: EQUIPMENT CONTAINING KEVLAR IS NOT ALLOWED!

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
eaglepower wrote:

thanks

it sounds like what you need is a crew of experienced lifters. everyone always says “get in a training crew, get in a training crew” but I can understand that being difficult since its not like they exactly advertise. My advise is to do a local meet and just try to, um, “meet” people there, no pun intended. You should be able to strike up a conversation with SOMEBODY in the area with a training crew. until then, heres an article for you

www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_shirt_101.htm

PS - you can also twist the sleeves. The easiest way to do it by yourself is, as you are putting the shirt on, do so with your palms facing upwards. that way as you pronate your wrists to grab the bar, it twists the sleeves[/quote]

to go along with that, if you have trouble finding partners pick up the Metal Militia bench dvd. Sebastian goes over shirt work and how to put it on, set up etc… Excellent video!