Bench Press Savior

I don’t see how some of you guys stay so small. I think the easiest thing to try would be to gain weight, paused reps and forcing your body to adapt. You could simply do a program of of doing triples at about 85% and adding 5 pounds a workout never missing a rep or set. Then when you get home eat a pound of pasta and meat. That will get you strong man

Isn’t your OHP too low in comparison with your bench press?

[quote]kalb wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Actually, if you delve deeper into biomechanics research you will learn that “your” (common PLing broscience actually) way to identify muscular weaknesses is overly simplistic and typically just wrong.

[/quote]

Explain…
[/quote]

Well, let me ask you first where is your triceps weakness etc. stuff coming from? Just something you have read on boards again and again?

[quote]Martimroll94 wrote:
Isn’t your OHP too low in comparison with your bench press?[/quote]

No. Think about it this way, If you OHP 225 are you going to be benching 250. No You will most likely be hitting at least 315. Probably more. I’ve personally used this to break bench plateaus. When your OHP increases you bench will also. There is a reason OHP is recommended by both the Brandon Lilly (the Cube) and Jim Wendler 5/3/1 (Among others but these are the 2 best examples I came up with quickly).

[quote]TimCline wrote:

No. Think about it this way, If you OHP 225 are you going to be benching 250. No You will most likely be hitting at least 315. Probably more. I’ve personally used this to break bench plateaus. When your OHP increases you bench will also. There is a reason OHP is recommended by both the Brandon Lilly (the Cube) and Jim Wendler 5/3/1 (Among others but these are the 2 best examples I came up with quickly).[/quote]

Yes, bit I think it is too low because he is benching 250 and his OHP is only at 135x4. So I think that one of the problems he hás with his bench is his shoulder strength, due to the difference between his bench press and his OHP. But this is just my opinion

[quote]TimCline wrote:

No. Think about it this way, If you OHP 225 are you going to be benching 250. No You will most likely be hitting at least 315. Probably more. I’ve personally used this to break bench plateaus. When your OHP increases you bench will also. There is a reason OHP is recommended by both the Brandon Lilly (the Cube) and Jim Wendler 5/3/1 (Among others but these are the 2 best examples I came up with quickly).[/quote]

Yes, bit I think it is too low because he is benching 250 and his OHP is only at 135x4. So I think that one of the problems he h�¡s with his bench is his shoulder strength, due to the difference between his bench press and his OHP. But this is just my opinion[/quote]

Ok if you agree that shoulder strength is the problem why not fix the problem and do OHP. If he can bring his OHP up to say 185. I would bet money he will hit a 40 pound bench PR within 1 month of that. Check this out 6 Heavy Bench Press Lessons

I’m guessing form, chest, shoulders, and/or lats. Might be a programming issue too.

I think we’re over-analyzing quite a bit for a guy that’s pretty small and not very strong.

Not to say OP can’t get stronger at his current body weight or anything, but judging by his strength levels on bench, I’d guess he hasn’t been lifting more than a couple years.

OP, what does your daily diet look like?

Also, I do have to agree with the general sentiment that you work on your OHP more. That is pretty dang weak, not even being able to strict press your bodyweight while weighing just 160. Strong possibility that, even not knowing much about you, that’s your weak link. And just getting bigger in general would help of course, but that shouldn’t need saying.

My OHP has been stuck for about 3 months, yet my bench has steadily gone up during the same span.

I’m throwing my opinion in on this. I think everyone (except a few) are looking into this way to hard. You fail 1-2" off your chest, simple answer is either 1. It was too heavy, or 2. Your chest is weak. The fix to these is simple. Volume. Don’t worry about if your tucking your elbows or flaring your lats. Just bench more. Gaining weight will help. So will doing more benching. Flat, incline, DB, wide, close, pause, pin press. Hell, if you have the access, hit up some pec machines. Do whatever your program says, then kill it in accessory work. 3x10, 5x10, 4x25, 3xfailure, whatever you feel like doing.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I’m guessing form, chest, shoulders, and/or lats. Might be a programming issue too. [/quote]

So…basically, everything that has to do with bench press. Great.

I kid, somewhat. I think the next post below yours is spot-on: we’re way over-analyzing for a 160-pound guy trying to bench 250. This isn’t complicated. OP doesn’t need a magic bullet or a new program. He needs to eat more (cleanly, not permabulker-for-the-sake-of-bulking, but enough to add some mass), train consistently on ALL aspects of the bench press (not just one lagging part) and results will eventually come.

[quote]TimCline wrote:

To play devils advocate, my OHP is probably 50% of my bench on a good day, havent even attempted it in a couple years. My bench however continues to improve simply by benching and manipulating volume/intensity/frequency. I’ve never found overhead to have any correlation to my bench apart from making my shoulders sore for the next bench day.

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]TimCline wrote:

To play devils advocate, my OHP is probably 50% of my bench on a good day, havent even attempted it in a couple years. My bench however continues to improve simply by benching and manipulating volume/intensity/frequency. I’ve never found overhead to have any correlation to my bench apart from making my shoulders sore for the next bench day.[/quote]

Should take note since clutz may be the best bencher in this thread.

Also my bench is sorta close to respectable, and its been climbing while my OHP is stagnant. OHP is not a magic bullet, but I will say its an awesome lift and you should train it.

Anyways, what worked for my bench when it was 250: drop the weight and up the frequency. The whole game is finding what works for you, and it may or may not be the current popular advice. For me personally ive found the best advice came from guys who just got over whatever plateau im struggling with: AKA I didnt look at 800 pound squatters to find out how to get mine over 500.

At a 250 bench, i really think itll help to just bench more often.

Edit: double post so i will try to say something semi-useful i suppose. A form video is gonna be the best help you can get from this thread most likely

My OHP has never correlated with my bench. When I was firing on all cylinders I could hit my body weight on TnG bench 27 times, I can hit my body weight on OHP only 1x. I no longer try to improve my IRM on OHP, only as an accessory to bench. But again, that’s what works for me.

[quote]Rschwitalski wrote:
My OHP has never correlated with my bench. When I was firing on all cylinders I could hit my body weight on TnG bench 27 times, I can hit my body weight on OHP only 1x. I no longer try to improve my IRM on OHP, only as an accessory to bench. But again, that’s what works for me.[/quote]

I think training for 1RM on OHP is kinda silly anyways, unless your training goal is a 1RM OHP. My best progress on bench and OHP tends to come when I’m doing 3-4 sets of 2-6 reps on each. Also, close grip incline is a great assistance exercise for me.

Coming from a lifetime 260 bencher who managed to grind out 320 raw last month…I know 60 isn’t much, but I have to sweat blood for everything I get on that damn lift - consider this:

Form is EVERYTHING. If you think yours is tight it is not because it always evolves. This is more a result of human progression through life. Weight, hormones, flexibility, it is all in flux. Thus you always have to be open to form tweaks. And sometimes the tweaks yield big. I am a chronic cheater. I am looking for every advantage I can find especially on the bench - and I am not ashamed to say it. (except roids - but i have the utmost respect for those that do) If I were having a problem 2 inches off my chest and had been unable to solve it using traditional means - and I speak from experience - I would…ELIMINATE the 2 inches…i.e. shorten the stroke. Here’s how:

1. Learn to retract your shoulder blades to max retraction. Once that is done…
  2. Learn to tuck and touch lower. After that…
  3. And this is a big one…improve your arch ----- not only to knock inches off but to improve tightness. After that…
  4. Get bloated before you bench…Hot Fries and Gatorade work the best:) There aren’t many places in life that reward pot bellies but this is one of them. After that…
  5. This is by far the biggest…commit to improving - for the rest of your waking hours…your LEG DRIVE. Turn the bench into a squat.

FYI…
Beware of anyone telling you to “just bench more” or “just get stronger” without addressing form. Habits are re-enforced through repetition. If your form sucks and you do it more you are asking for trouble. Tucking, flaring, etc…it all works for a reason and will keep you healthier for the long haul. Start doing it right early - for your own safety and health. Tucking isn’t just about getting more weight up.

How tall are you? And also, what is your diet like (including intra workout etc.)? What is your programming like for other lifts and where are they at? I won’t even try to advise on what you can do, I’d just like to settle my own curiosity. When I was 160lb I was a former intermittent-crossfitting-paleo hardcore-carb cycling-backloading-coffee faster-in opposition… I too questioned why I could not get stronger. Then I stopped being a vagina and actually ate like a human being and trained with a new found intensity (see the former eating bit) and got stronger.

I agree with the many people who’ve said not to overcomplicate the issue. Read the elitefts bench press manual that Dave Tate wrote. It’s free and it gives you a fair few options on what you can do.

[quote]Rave2.0 wrote:
FYI…
Beware of anyone telling you to “just bench more” or “just get stronger” without addressing form. Habits are re-enforced through repetition. If your form sucks and you do it more you are asking for trouble. Tucking, flaring, etc…it all works for a reason and will keep you healthier for the long haul. Start doing it right early - for your own safety and health. Tucking isn’t just about getting more weight up.[/quote]

I get what your saying Rave, but just going on the information he’s provided I think the simple answer is that he’s not strong enough. Tucking, flaring, whatever will not help a press that is stuck 2" off your chest. He says his form is solid, which would only be proven with a video, but I’ll take his word for it. Ques are great, but sometimes you just need time under the bar. And to be honest, I’m not sure intentionally tucking has ever helped me bench. I’m not claiming at all to be a great bencher. But as long as your hand spacing and your bar path is good, you should automatically, naturally tuck. Intentional tucking is more of a geared thing to help get the weight into the grove. Now if you have your elbows out at 90 degrees and your pressing inline with your upper chest (old school bodybuilding style) then I would consider changing form. Raw form is so dynamic. It changes from person to person.