T Nation

Bench Press Replacement

Any suggestions of a good exercise to replace bench press with because of my torn labrum. Incline press worked for a while but now that aggravates it. Anyone have experience working around this injury? (Does not affect overhead at all)

Floor press?

Thank you

Happy Easter!

Have you tried weighted dips?

[quote]John Henry wrote:
Any suggestions of a good exercise to replace bench press with because of my torn labrum. Incline press worked for a while but now that aggravates it. Anyone have experience working around this injury? (Does not affect overhead at all)

Floor press?

Thank you

Happy Easter![/quote]
Dumbells? Although if bench and incline bench aggravate it…go see a doc get it fixed then go kick some real ass

You do not have to do a pressing movement. When Jim had a torn labrum he applied 5/3/1 to barbell rows with success. See Modification #6 in the article below.

“Train what is trainable”

Please don’t use dumbbells. Might as well join the KB Krew…

I consider the phrase “I only train with kettlebells” to really mean “I like to be small and weak but damn it I got abs!”.

Thanks Jim. Thanks guys

Hey Jim, in the 5/3/1 2nd Ed FAQ you have:

“Question: Can I use kettlebells as part of my assistance work?”
“Answer: Yes, This is a great idea.”

Was this sarcasm, or have you just recently changed your mind about KB training?

‘use as part of my assistance work’ does not equal ‘replace main lift’

[quote]Bob_Macc wrote:
‘use as part of my assistance work’ does not equal ‘replace main lift’[/quote]
Where did anyone say anything about replacing the main lift?

So are using KBs a go or a no-go?

damn, people be dense. If you want to use a kettlebell, do so. This forum seriously needs a disclaimer like: “You don’t have to ask Jim Wendler’s permission for everything”… I mean, seriously! JFC, I’m pretty sure the only thing that is a go or no-go with 5/3/1 is if you have a barbell. Can you not make a decision on your own, or what?

I’m experiencing something similar–I’ve been dealing with tendonitis of my left bicep for a while now, and the only lift that aggravates it is the Bench. I, too, have been pondering a replacement (I have also considered the floor press!)

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:

[quote]Bob_Macc wrote:
‘use as part of my assistance work’ does not equal ‘replace main lift’[/quote]
Where did anyone say anything about replacing the main lift?

So are using KBs a go or a no-go?[/quote]

If they don’t get the Wendler manliness stamp of approval are you going to ditch them even if they work for you in reaching your goals?

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:

[quote]Bob_Macc wrote:
‘use as part of my assistance work’ does not equal ‘replace main lift’[/quote]
Where did anyone say anything about replacing the main lift?
[/quote]

What’s the bench press?

That is not within the context of Jim’s nor my statement.

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:

[quote]Bob_Macc wrote:
‘use as part of my assistance work’ does not equal ‘replace main lift’[/quote]
Where did anyone say anything about replacing the main lift?

[/quote]

Title and first sentence.

As a side note, I too cannot do the BP. I can, however, do the floor press, decline press, scrape/smith press on angle and pullovers. With ART and extra stretching, I should be able to do them in about 4 months. But, gain with no pain is all I care about.

Train what is trainable.

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:
Hey Jim, in the 5/3/1 2nd Ed FAQ you have:

“Question: Can I use kettlebells as part of my assistance work?”
“Answer: Yes, This is a great idea.”

Was this sarcasm, or have you just recently changed your mind about KB training?

[/quote]

I haven’t changed my mind - KB’s are as important as a band/rope for triceps pushdowns and as great as a dumbbell for the always great Zottman curl. That’s assistance work and it doesn’t matter too much.

[quote]Zoro wrote:
damn, people be dense. If you want to use a kettlebell, do so. This forum seriously needs a disclaimer like: “You don’t have to ask Jim Wendler’s permission for everything”… I mean, seriously! JFC, I’m pretty sure the only thing that is a go or no-go with 5/3/1 is if you have a barbell. Can you not make a decision on your own, or what?[/quote]

I believe everyone should ask my advice on everything.

While I get your point, people have questions. I answer them as simply and directly as I can because no one who wants to be successful has time to fuck around on a forum or the internet. So if someone wants to ask something, even if it is basic, it’s not a big deal.