Bench Press PR: 315lbs

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:

I believe it’s the shirt of insecurity in which people cloak themselves. When wearing this garment, they become delusional enough to believe that the only thing keeping them from a 500lb bench press is the fact that they don’t own a shirt. Of course, they never get a shirt, becuase thinking that they can bench that much is fine for them, and actually doing it would be rather pointless.

Bear[/quote]

You put what I was thinking into words beautifully.

[quote]Right Side Up wrote:
maxx power wrote:
Man thats impressive!

I bet you woulda hammered a nice 335/345 if you did less of a warm up!

I’m surprised my warmup is considered that much. I don’t really feel strong until I’m at 245/265 or so.

What would ya’ll recommend for warming up?[/quote]

I don’t think it was incredible excessive. The jumps in weight looked fine, I would just cut back on the reps. I only do singles at 80% when I am working up to a 1RM. Even when I’m going to a three, sometimes I’ll only do one or two on my last ramp up.

Bear

The shirt comment was a joke, a nod to all the flame wars that start between the raw vs gear guys.
I was also the guy who asked where you started. When I hit 3 plates it was a huge milestone. I started at a 135 PR on the bench when I weighed 135 in 10th grade. Squatted, Cleaned, Benched and did Rows or Chins 5x5 almost exclusively for almost 4 years until I got 315 at a bodyweight of 188 in the Camp Butler gym in Okinawa(1980). Congratulations!

man this pisses me off my bench and row wont increase its been stalled out for 4 weeks, iveo nly been lifting for 5 months or so and ive been dieting to loose fat (lost 45 pounds so far )

im 6’3 280-285 and i can only bench 160 for 3 sets of 6 on the flat barbell and for the bb incline i do 135 and fail right before the last rep (sameo n the flat i miss the last rep all the time)

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
… and ive been dieting to loose fat (lost 45 pounds so far )

…[/quote]

This is why your bench has stalled. Pick a goal.

However, congratz and good job on the fat loss. It’s certainly a worthwhile goal. Just don’t expect big strength gains at the same time.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
mazel mazel[/quote]

it’s actually ‘mazel tov’. but ya, mazel tov/congratulations to the original poster on the third wheel PR. I also recently hit 315 as a PR on my raw flat bench <full pause, full lock-out, ABSOLUTELY no fucking spot> and am now doing it for singles on days when i do bench singles. :-\

i’m not as happy with it as i thought i would’ve been. time to hit 365, i guess.

remember not to burn yourself out with warm-ups prior to attempting a new PR.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
Right Side Up wrote:
maxx power wrote:
Man thats impressive!

I bet you woulda hammered a nice 335/345 if you did less of a warm up!

I’m surprised my warmup is considered that much. I don’t really feel strong until I’m at 245/265 or so.

What would ya’ll recommend for warming up?

I don’t think it was incredible excessive. The jumps in weight looked fine, I would just cut back on the reps. I only do singles at 80% when I am working up to a 1RM. Even when I’m going to a three, sometimes I’ll only do one or two on my last ramp up.

Bear[/quote]

i agree, when working your way up to a new 1RM PR, warm-up with singles once you get to around 80%. i think it’s better to do two sets of 1 rep with a warmp up weight than 1 set of 2 reps when working your way up to a 1RM PR.

here’s how i warmed up to my 315 1RM PR on flat bench awhile back:

45 x 10,
135 x 10,
225 x 5,
275 x 1,
295 x 1,
315 x 1

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Great work, 3 wheels is a manly milestone.

Andy Shelton wrote:
Outstanding!! (That works out to about 600 pounds with a shirt).
What was your bench weight PR when you 1st started?

What fucking shirt are you using?[/quote]

A shirt with two car suspension spings sticking out of it.

Isn’t a jump from 295 to 315 a little high?

I thought it would be 305 than 315, the reasoning being if you miss 315 than your 1 rm for the day might not reflect your actual 1rm.

[quote]Naphta wrote:

I thought it would be 305 than 315, the reasoning being if you miss 315 than your 1 rm for the day might not reflect your actual 1rm.[/quote]

i just knew i’d be able to hit 315 because of how the other weights were moving. but i didn’t find the jump high. if unsure, of course you can do 305 in between 295 and 315, but i didn’t need to do it.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
Naphta wrote:

I thought it would be 305 than 315, the reasoning being if you miss 315 than your 1 rm for the day might not reflect your actual 1rm.

i just knew i’d be able to hit 315 because of how the other weights were moving. but i didn’t find the jump high. if unsure, of course you can do 305 in between 295 and 315, but i didn’t need to do it.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with huey OT, nothing is written in stone. Many times it’s the feel factor you can hit 285 and it’s breezing and you know it’s time to try a PR or M.E.

Like today we finished our work out with flat bar bench after some pre exhaustation work and I hit a rep PR which was two sets of 275 for eight reps each set. Now that would put me at an estimated one rep max of about 340, but I didn’t feel like trying that after those sets.

But, it gives me an idea of what to shoot for in a few weeks when we do max out. When I do feel it running through me. You can never discount the feel factor when you know it’s the right time.

D