T Nation

Bench Press Plateau

I’ve been training seriousley for 1 1/2 years now, and Ive had two major Bench press Plateau’s. My first one lasted about 3 months, and this one now. I’m stuck on 225 6 times. Its been like that for about 4 months now. I switched my routine but it doesnt seem to be helping much. Ive changed my diet, and am doing everything right, but nothing helps. Granted im only 15, but could this be a problem in the future? And tips??

225x6? Hmm… Stop using the barbell for around 2 months. Get yourself doing high volume work on DBs, say 10x10. Then go back to your barbell and resume whatever training you had.

The point is, with a 4 month plateau like that, you need to try very different stuff.

[quote]2274 wrote:
225x6? Hmm… Stop using the barbell for around 2 months. Get yourself doing high volume work on DBs, say 10x10. Then go back to your barbell and resume whatever training you had.

The point is, with a 4 month plateau like that, you need to try very different stuff.[/quote]

You could also try to stop all forms of benching for 2 months. Your body seems to be sick of it. Maybe focusing on making 20+ pullups should take your mind off it. Then go back to benching and see what happens.

[quote]2274 wrote:

The point is, with a 4 month plateau like that, you need to try very different stuff.[/quote]

Would something like a cambered bar work?

What does your bench training look like now (typical workout sets/reps/weight)? What supplemental/accessory work are you doing for your bench? How many times a week are you training your bench? Are you training your upper back heavy? What’s your height/weight?

More info is needed to give any meaningful advice.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
What does your bench training look like now (typical workout sets/reps/weight)? What supplemental/accessory work are you doing for your bench? How many times a week are you training your bench? Are you training your upper back heavy? What’s your height/weight?

More info is needed to give any meaningful advice.[/quote]

I just started the westside routine about 3 weeks ago.

If you want to try something simple that will only burn one workout try this:

http://www.criticalbench.com/best_compound_exercise.htm

[quote]BigMbot wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

More info is needed to give any meaningful advice.

I just started the westside routine about 3 weeks ago.[/quote]

I would say you should keep at westside for at least 8-9 weeks.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
If you want to try something simple that will only burn one workout try this:

http://www.criticalbench.com/best_compound_exercise.htm[/quote]

That sounds insane, Im definitley gonna try this.

225lb for six?

How come you didn’t publish your 1RM? Have you not trained triples, doubles and singles?

If you’ve just started Westside, keep it up. I found chains busted a plateu for me.

Most of the time when people’s bench stalls it is because of a combo of form and need for MORE tricep work. Louie Simmons has written extensively about this subject so rather than post whole articles I will simply set you up with a link to his site, there are tons of articles on how they train the three big lifts: www.westside-barbell.com It is the strongest gym in the WORLD with numerous guys benching well over 700!!

Additionally, I would reccomend the book from their site (Book of Methods) It is incredible and truly worth it’s weight in gold. You simply will not find a better system or explination of how and why it works!

[quote]laroyal wrote:
Most of the time when people’s bench stalls it is because of a combo of form and need for MORE tricep work. Louie Simmons has written extensively about this subject so rather than post whole articles I will simply set you up with a link to his site, there are tons of articles on how they train the three big lifts: www.westside-barbell.com It is the strongest gym in the WORLD with numerous guys benching well over 700!!

Additionally, I would reccomend the book from their site (Book of Methods) It is incredible and truly worth it’s weight in gold. You simply will not find a better system or explination of how and why it works! [/quote]

agreed,but on raw lifts the triceps aren’t nearly as important as on a shirted bench.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
225lb for six?

How come you didn’t publish your 1RM? Have you not trained triples, doubles and singles?

If you’ve just started Westside, keep it up. I found chains busted a plateu for me.[/quote]

I have, but to be completley honest I have no idea of my true max, I have done 275, my triple has stayed at 245, and my double has stayed at 255. I havent been doing to much of those because Ive started the westside training and have been working up to a 1RM with chains.

[quote]laroyal wrote:

Additionally, I would reccomend the book from their site (Book of Methods) It is incredible and truly worth it’s weight in gold. You simply will not find a better system or explination of how and why it works! [/quote]

Yes, even before me beggining westside I was aware that my lockout needs work. So ever since ive been hitting the triceps hard.

I just did finished smolov jr for the bench, I stopped benching for quite some time during throwing season so needed something to get me back up. Started with average 305, went up to 335 missed 350-not best spotter- Its definitely worth a try, it is pretty hard benching 4x a week is killer.

More then anything the high volume benching gave me better technique which helped a lot in getting a bigger bench. I did a lot of arch stretching ext before and after.

I assure you once you hit 300x1 your 225 will go past 6. Get the max up

[quote]BigMbot wrote:
I’ve been training seriousley for 1 1/2 years now, and Ive had two major Bench press Plateau’s. My first one lasted about 3 months, and this one now. I’m stuck on 225 6 times. Its been like that for about 4 months now. I switched my routine but it doesnt seem to be helping much. Ive changed my diet, and am doing everything right, but nothing helps. Granted im only 15, but could this be a problem in the future? And tips??[/quote]

Just keep lifting and push hard, give a maximum effort every time you bench then rest.
As you grow you will get stronger, been there done that.
I just wish I could recover like I did back then.

suck on some steroids :slight_smile:

[quote]bignate wrote:
suck on some steroids :slight_smile: [/quote]

No thank you.

If you are 15 and benching 225 six times, maybe it’s not your front you need to worry about. WHat does your back workout look like and how many pullups can you do. Try your best to work your back just as hard as you can work your front. If you have an imbalance and your chest is way stronger than your back your body will recognize this. I know when I train i try to at least match each chest exercise with it’s equal opposite for my back. Likewise with legs. And what’s your squat lookin’ like?