Bench Press Pain when Lowering Bar

I can usually hit 315 for 4. But for the past 2 months I m lucky if I can get 275 for 3. When I unrack 275 I feel like I’m going to get crushed and it takes me about 6 second to lower it to my chest due to the pain in my arms. Feels kind of like shin splints but in my forearms and occasionally feel some bicep pain but no thing too serious.how can I fix this. I’m getting very demotivated and depressed. I’m currently doing shoulder dislocations with a broom stick and myofascial release but still no improvement.when I do dips same thing but overhead press is going up and no pain. Help!

Where is the pain, specifically? Also, I prefer shoulder dislocates with a band, as I feel that with a stiff object like a broom or pvc pipe just aggrevates mine more.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Where is the pain, specifically? Also, I prefer shoulder dislocates with a band, as I feel that with a stiff object like a broom or pvc pipe just aggrevates mine more. [/quote]
I feel the pain on the outer side of my forearms close to my elbow. Before my biceps hurt as well along with forearms but the bicep pain went away.275 feels like a 1 rep max max due to the pain. Sometimes I can’t even unrack it. I just rolled my forearms with a la cross ball and it hurt like hell. Like a sharp knife but after after a few rolls I don’t feel feel pain anymore. I talked to a powerlifter and he told me I could be a muscle in my upper upper back pulling on my shoulder then arm muscle. But I doudoubt it

Look up tennis elbow - is it that spot? They make a compression band you can wear to make it start feeling better. I got it bad when learning to do cleans and not doing them right. Has not come back now that I fixed the form.

[quote]thegymismyshrink wrote:
Look up tennis elbow - is it that spot? They make a compression band you can wear to make it start feeling better. I got it bad when learning to do cleans and not doing them right. Has not come back now that I fixed the form.[/quote] I feel it in my outer extensor forearm muscle. Can I just wrap it right with something. I don’t think wrapping will do anything. I wrap my wrist thought.

Still sounds like tennis elbow. The brace has a pad that compresses that area specifically - not just like any old wrap bandage. For ten bucks it has cured a lot of tennis elbows. You’d be crazy not to try it for a week.

I sometimes used to get something like that - felt it in my biceps and the eccentric was the hardest part, the rest flew up but lowering that first rep it’s like you’re not sure if you’ll even get 1 rep…

Anyway, changing my grip works well for me; instead of having my knuckles in line with the bar, i rotate my hands towards each other a bit so the bar sits somewhat diagonal and my knuckles point somewhere towards the top of the bench and then i grip the shit out of it and try and turn my hands back straight - done right nothing much actually moves but everything tightens up and the reps are much more consistent and smooth instead of the rickety, haphazzard, chaos theory - arm spasms i used to suffer through.

Still sounds like tennis elbow. The brace has a pad that compresses that area specifically - not just like any old wrap bandage. For ten bucks it has cured a lot of tennis elbows. You’d be crazy not to try it for a week.[/quote]
Can I buy it at big 5 store?

[quote]cowpie wrote:
I sometimes used to get something like that - felt it in my biceps and the eccentric was the hardest part, the rest flew up but lowering that first rep it’s like you’re not sure if you’ll even get 1 rep…

Anyway, changing my grip works well for me; instead of having my knuckles in line with the bar, i rotate my hands towards each other a bit so the bar sits somewhat diagonal and my knuckles point somewhere towards the top of the bench and then i grip the shit out of it and try and turn my hands back straight - done right nothing much actually moves but everything tightens up and the reps are much more consistent and smooth instead of the rickety, haphazzard, chaos theory - arm spasms i used to suffer through.
[/quote] every rep is painful and slow. I don’t really want to change my technique if it isn’t broken. I want to fix my injury not cover it up. Hard to believe not many have gone through this. At least I’m getting alot of help though other powerlifting sites are clueless.

See if this may be of help

Absolutely do not throw equipment at the problem. You would benefit from backing the weight way off and working reps so that you can actually build up some of your weak muscles.

During an eccentric, fewer muscles fibers are controlling the movement. So if you have small muscles that are already the weak link in the chain combined with injury combined with heavy weights combined with limited muscle fibers you get pain. You’ll want to target the weak muscles directly as well, but issue 1 is to back off the weight. Your weakest link is only going to get weaker doing what you’re doing.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - as far I know compression isn’t “throwing equipment at the problem” - is ice equipment too? Is ibuprofen equipment?

How about not throwing random baseless judgments at the problem

Keep up the lacrosse ball rolling.

Ice your elbow and forearm.

Stretch your wrists/forearms.

Find some way to actively and directly work the muscle or muscles that hurt (wrist/forearm extensors). The easiest way will be to use the wrist roller. With your knuckles “up” roll backwards, or towards you. This should hit the muscle that hurts.

With knuckles “up” roll forwards or away from you. This will work the muscles on the bottom of your forearm (flexors) while stretching out the extensors, that are giving you pain.

Also, a stronger grip and wrists will help you keep the barbell more stable in your hands.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Keep up the lacrosse ball rolling.

Ice your elbow and forearm.

Stretch your wrists/forearms.

Find some way to actively and directly work the muscle or muscles that hurt (wrist/forearm extensors). The easiest way will be to use the wrist roller. With your knuckles “up” roll backwards, or towards you. This should hit the muscle that hurts.

With knuckles “up” roll forwards or away from you. This will work the muscles on the bottom of your forearm (flexors) while stretching out the extensors, that are giving you pain.

Also, a stronger grip and wrists will help you keep the barbell more stable in your hands.[/quote]
This is solid advice here.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - as far I know compression isn’t “throwing equipment at the problem” - is ice equipment too? Is ibuprofen equipment?

How about not throwing random baseless judgments at the problem[/quote]
Ibuprofen is not a good idea, as inflammation is a sign that something is wrong. taking NSAID’s to mask the pain to lift through is never the right answer.

I’ve experienced the same thing but mostly in my left arm. Its called golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis). So if that is in fact what your issue is it will probably take some time to heal since tendons don’t get a lot of blood flow. You just have to find ways to work around it.

For example, doing pull ups with a supinated grip is one of the worst things I can do to it, but doing them with a pronated one is a million times better.

And yea, wearing some compression can help out too.

How about not throwing random baseless judgments at the problem[/quote]
Did I quote you and not realize it? That seems a bit of an overreaction.

Anyway, I wasn’t disparaging anything you said. Rather, I was attempting to instill the idea that OP needs to fix the problem and not mask it. Ibuprofen would definitely qualify as masking it, to eccha’s point.

And that’s certainly not a “baseless” opinion. I can explain my reasoning more if you’d like.

Yeah, you caught me in a mood, sorry. My own experience with tennis elbow, if that is even what we are talking about, was weeks of pain suddenly cured by a little velcro strap with a pad on it. It was amazing, and it never came back. If the OP could have the same experience I’d like to see him try it and not listen to a one sentence dismissal of the idea, which is what I thought you were doing.

RICE and stretch wrists/forearms

I started having the exact same issue you are talking about, not only benching but squatting too. I tried a few different things but nothing really helped until I started doing bicep curls again. 99% of my training is on the main lifts or variations, I do some chin ups and rows but I didn’t do any direct bicep work for a while. I think (in my case at least) it could be a muscle imbalance, I do a lot of pressing and very little pulling aside from deadlifts.

Curls make the pain go away almost immediately. For a few weeks I way doing curls between every set of squat and bench, now I only do them if I start to get an ache in my arms. At one point it was so bad I was basically dropping the bar on my chest.