T Nation

Bench Press Not a Great Muscle Builder for Chest

Before you get angry, even though you probably are just because of the title of this post, I do not believe this is true.

This point was mentioned in an article be Menno Henselmans recently, I believe in February. His point is defended by him comparing the muscle hypertrophy obtained by squatting and doing Chin-Ups.

I believe the Bench Press is an incomparable way of developing the Upper pec the outer pec muscle, the inner pec Muscle, and get that deep separation with the Chest

Besides, it allows you to build muscle in an astonishing way on other parts of the body when you bench decent weight and learn to lift explosively, not to mention how tight you have to get in every skeletal muscle to accomplish this lift.

Questions:

1. What do you believe about this claim of the Bench Press not being a great mass builder? (does somebody actually agree?)
  2. What muscles do you think the Bench Press is best for developing [for most lifters]? (Not taking height of the lifter into the matter for practical purposes of this discussion)

*In the mentioned article, Menno does not state the Bench Press is not good for building muscular mass, but he believes there is an enormous difference with the squat and the chin-up.

Your thoughts?

Is this MISC? I’m so confused, I get TROLLCEPTION-ED so easy. fuck

T-MISCLE

How does MISC compare to /fit?

I am looking for lulz, broscience and mild homoerotica… preferably not in that order, but I’ll take what I can get.

How thick, solid and tight are the posters there?

really? the same guy who says

“There is no such thing as an anabolic window around training sessions. Consuming sufficient protein throughout the day completely removes the need to pay attention to the timing of your protein intake relative to your training sessions.”

"There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle. This already includes a very safe mark-up. There hasnâ??t been any recorded advantage of consuming more than 0.64g/lb. The only exceptions to this rule could be individuals with extraordinarily high anabolic hormone levels.

Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session. The magnitude of this effect is unclear."

i wouldnt listen to a thing this menno troll says

Wannabebig your join date was march2012, you are the troll, any arguement you have is null and void.

My jazz dancing coach always said reverse grip pushups were the best activity to stimulate your chest in an exotic manner…

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Wannabebig your join date was march2012, you are the troll, any arguement you have is null and void.

My jazz dancing coach always said reverse grip pushups were the best activity to stimulate your chest in an exotic manner…[/quote]

LOL who the fuck are you? honestly

ive been here since 2010, they stopped letting me post on my old account

fucking troll

[quote]anonym wrote:

I am looking for lulz, broscience and mild homoerotica… preferably not in that order, but I’ll take what I can get.

How thick, solid and tight are the posters there?[/quote]

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

My jazz dancing coach always said reverse grip pushups were the best activity to stimulate your chest in an exotic manner…[/quote]

fucking troll[/quote]

Listen bro, quit your trollin’ in my thread.

Thanks

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

LISTEN BRO

-â??Turns out summer is coming up. This years goal: Domâ??s gonna be hotter than the sand, and bigger than the ocean.â??
-â??Ovaltine. It makes your dick bigger.â??
-â??I work at GNC now. I do it for the discount.â??[/quote]

I love you

fucking troll[/quote]

they probably deactivated your old account because you have small arms. Do not lie, you have not been here since 2010. Ask Deta, I have committed every members name to my memory pre 2011.

btw Honestly, My name is Achilles and I power clean more than you on a so so day

this is exactly why many good posters have left TNation. because of all you fucking trolls accusing other knowledgeable people of being trolls.

[quote]anonym wrote:

I have no idea what you’re talking about.[/quote]

Sounds sexual, a little to provocative anonym

this is exactly why many good posters have left tnation. because of all you fucking trolls accusing other knowledgeable people of being trolls.

go fuck yourselves.[/quote]

No many good posters were either A.) banned, or B.) left because of D-bags like you trying to give advice.

“BRB curling on the squat rack”
-wannabebig250

Posters “leave” because this place, while certainly a nice, informative distraction, IS NOT REAL LIFE.

Small dudes come and go all the time… occasionally, big guys do, as well.

Sooo fucking annoying how some people like to harp on about this or that being “the reason big guys don’t stick around”.

90% of the population has better things to do than argue with people on the internet post after post, day after day, year after year about inane topic after inane topic. That includes the occasional muscular dude.

Sorry if that stings, y’all.

Stings, with my 145 posts a year :frowning:

really? the same guy who says

“There is no such thing as an anabolic window around training sessions. Consuming sufficient protein throughout the day completely removes the need to pay attention to the timing of your protein intake relative to your training sessions.”

"There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle. This already includes a very safe mark-up. There hasnâ??t been any recorded advantage of consuming more than 0.64g/lb. The only exceptions to this rule could be individuals with extraordinarily high anabolic hormone levels.

Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session. The magnitude of this effect is unclear."

i wouldnt listen to a thing this menno troll says[/quote]

@detazoth
where did u read those facts or studies
i actually believe in lot of them,specially bout protein intake, bcs im progressing veryy well with that protein intake and also about anavolic window bcs i never use whey.

i approve of this thread

Before you get angry, even though you probably are just because of the title of this post, I do not believe this is true.

This point was mentioned in an article be Menno Henselmans recently, I believe in February. His point is defended by him comparing the muscle hypertrophy obtained by squatting and doing Chin-Ups.

I believe the Bench Press is an incomparable way of developing the Upper pec the outer pec muscle, the inner pec Muscle, and get that deep separation with the Chest

Besides, it allows you to build muscle in an astonishing way on other parts of the body when you bench decent weight and learn to lift explosively, not to mention how tight you have to get in every skeletal muscle to accomplish this lift.

Questions:

1. What do you believe about this claim of the Bench Press not being a great mass builder? (does somebody actually agree?)
  2. What muscles do you think the Bench Press is best for developing [for most lifters]? (Not taking height of the lifter into the matter for practical purposes of this discussion)

*In the mentioned article, Menno does not state the Bench Press is not good for building muscular mass, but he believes there is an enormous difference with the squat and the chin-up.

Your thoughts?[/quote]

Is this the article you’re referencing?

This morning I smashed a lizard on the side of the house and let one of my dogs eat it.