Bench Press Meet Today

Hey guys, my school had a bench press meet today that was free so I decided what the hell, I’ll give it a go. I’m still pretty excited so I thought I’d post how I did.

I weighed in at 204 and benched 345. This isn’t much, I know. But considering I only benched 315 twice last week, I’m pretty happy. We had to pause so it was even more difficult than last week’s 315. First time I’ve ever paused on an ME bench too. Gotten 385 once before but that was 30 lbs. ago with no Jiu Jitsu training. Not a PR but still damn proud.

One other guy had gotten 340, the record for the day, so after getting 275 and 315, I decided to give 345 a go. Went up pretty smoothly.

I realize I’m about to get flamed for this but I’m pretty proud of myself considering the improvement. Just want to encourage everyone to compete in some form because it’s a blast. You’ll probably surprise yourself too.

You should be proud. A 340 bench is a great lift for a 200 lb high school guy. Keep it up!

[quote]tom63 wrote:
You should be proud. A 340 bench is a great lift for a 200 lb high school guy. Keep it up![/quote]

College! LOL!

Congrats bro u should be proud!

LIGHT WEIGHT, BUDDY !

Nice lift dude.

That’s a pretty good raw bench

Why would you get flamed? That’s a nice lift, especially if you were doing it raw.

nice lifts man. I’m 245 and would like to hit that raw. congrats!!!

Yea dude, I can’t understand why you think that you’d get flamed?

And why do people with these pretty good numbers always hate on themselves about them “not being anything special?”

Shit man, when I hit 345 I’ll be damn proud.

Nice work.

-MAtt

You think 345 is not very good. Reading Ryan Kennelly’s book he was only doing about 365 when he was about 19 and look at how far he has gone.

The majority of your average gym goers will never break 300. That was a great lift and my hat goes off to you.

D

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
That’s a pretty good raw bench

[/quote]

Who said it was raw?

Was it raw?

I hope.

good job!! that is definitely not a bad bench. when I was your age i could barely hit 275. now i’m nocking on the door of a 585 raw bench. keep it up, you will be a monster when you get to be my age.

meat

Thanks a lot guys.

Yes, it was raw.

I really encourage everyone to compete because it was really a lot of fun. I don’t think I’ve ever been so focused for a lift before!

In fact, I had so much fun that I’m thinking about just competing in powerlifting instead of continuing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. Competing against myself rather than someone else- the way a fight would be- seems to fit my personality a lot better. And it’s much cheaper…

I dont know though, I have until the beginning of the month to decide as I’ve taken a month off from BJJ and Thai. We’ll see.

i think his reason for saying he was going to get flamed wasnt because of his number, just the fact that he posted said number and people like to call others out when it is on the internet.

i think that is an awesome weight and congrats… at my bodyweight of 230, i have a long time till i reach that… but im still in college so i have time. good job dude, and keep us updated on your decision…

Interestingly enough, I’ll be doing a bench only meet at my college next wednesday, and 345 was my goal to hit. So, now I have a kick in the ass to hit that number.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I’ll be doing a bench only meet at my college next wednesday, and 345 was my goal to hit. So, now I have a kick in the ass to hit that number.[/quote]

Well, I won the 220 class, weighing in at 217. It required all of my effort to go, considering that I had contracted food poisoning the night before and had spent all night without sleep pissing out my ass. I ate right beforehand to get something in me, and nailed 315 on my second attempt which won the class so I was pretty much done there. I gave 335 a go (hit this in the gym two weeks ago) but failed pretty miserably by bringing it down way out of the groove and stapling it to my upper chest.

But, I went in sick and won so I think I won some sort of mental battle here and I’m happy with my glorious YSU T-shirt.

there are more benefits doing a one armed bench press and switching arms for a complete set.

[quote]itzjaggz wrote:
there are more benefits doing a one armed bench press and switching arms for a complete set.[/quote]

There are also a lot of benefits to shutting the fuck up.

But you’re right, next time at a bench meet or PL comp I’ll do the 315 barbell with one hand, then switch and do it with the other. That way I get all the “more benefits”.