Bench Press Lockouts?

Has anyone ever tried these where you set the pins in the rack so you are only pressing the top 50% of the press? Has it worked well?

I thought that since the Rack pulls helped my regular deadlifts so much, that maybe these would help up my bench numbers.

Yes, people use them all the time. It will help increase your lockout strength and get you used to handling heavier weight.

They are primarily a triceps exercise (though pecs and anterior delts do of course do some work as well). If you are just looking for a method of improving your bench numbers and find that you have a hard time locking out, then they would probably be a good idea.

If you are trying to build your pecs though, I don’t think they’d be the best choice.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
They are primarily a triceps exercise (though pecs and anterior delts do of course do some work as well). If you are just looking for a method of improving your bench numbers and find that you have a hard time locking out, then they would probably be a good idea.

If you are trying to build your pecs though, I don’t think they’d be the best choice.[/quote]

Very true. They REALLY get rid of that stick point in the middle. It won’t take but a handful of sessions to realize a difference. You’ll feel like you can just power straight through.

cueball

As your only chest exercise then no, but along with others that still allow you to utilize a full ROm then yeah it’s a good exercise choice.

It’s also fun to set the pins so you wedge yourself under the bar and press off from the bottom-most position. You’re getting rid of the strength-shortening-cycle and making the exercise much harder. When you go back to lowering the bar first, it feels much easier. Do these and then lockouts for a pretty complete workout for your pressing musculature. Maybe a 5x5 then a 3x3 for lockouts?

I have done Rack Lockouts and I haven’t seen any gains from them. I’m pretty triceps dominant. My Close-Grip max is only 10 pounds away from my normal Bench max (something I’m working on fixing).

I think Rack Lockouts and High Board presses are really important for shirted benchers but
not necessary for Raw Benchers and Non-Powerlifters.

One of the advantages of training with a group is you get to see how your supplemental lifts compare to each other. If it’s obvious that your triceps suck and you fail at lockout, then these lifts might be for you. If your shoulder strength and starting strength sucks, then it’s your shoulders and/or pecs.

But I haven’t done Rack Lockouts the same way I’ve done Rack Pulls. For Rack Pulls I might do a set of 455X8 below the knee and say to myself “Shit, I should be able to pull that from the floor.” So maybe you can find a Rack Height that lets you say “Shit, I Rack Benched 355X8 or 10 so I should get 355 of my chest easy.” Fuckin Hell! I take it all back. But if you’re gonna go about with that strategy, then you should to Rack Lockouts or Rack Pulls as a heavy supplimental lift with reps between 5-10 for multiple sets instead of a ME lift.

[quote]derek wrote:
It’s also fun to set the pins so you wedge yourself under the bar and press off from the bottom-most position. You’re getting rid of the strength-shortening-cycle and making the exercise much harder. When you go back to lowering the bar first, it feels much easier. Do these and then lockouts for a pretty complete workout for your pressing musculature. Maybe a 5x5 then a 3x3 for lockouts?[/quote]

Like that one!

Joe

floor presses