Bench Press Grip

I searched the articles, but couldn’t find anything on this. Its probably a stupid question, but wtf. . .

When doing barbell bench presses, where should I put my thumbs? I’ve seen pictures of guys with their thumbs under the bar with their fingers. I’ve also seen pictures of guys with their thumbs curled around the bar like I do now - same grip for push presses basically.

Is there any advantage to not curling your thumbs around the bar? I’ve tried it, and its not particularly comfortable for me, but if there are some benefits, I’d probably learn it and adapt to it.

Never do false grip/suicide grip, bar can slip off and crush you. Always wrap your thumb around the bar.
 For standard benchpress, grip width is with your fingers somewhere on the little rings. Personally, I prefer ring finger. This will differ from person to person

[quote]flightspeed wrote:
I searched the articles, but couldn’t find anything on this. Its probably a stupid question, but wtf. . .

When doing barbell bench presses, where should I put my thumbs? I’ve seen pictures of guys with their thumbs under the bar with their fingers. I’ve also seen pictures of guys with their thumbs curled around the bar like I do now - same grip for push presses basically.

Is there any advantage to not curling your thumbs around the bar? I’ve tried it, and its not particularly comfortable for me, but if there are some benefits, I’d probably learn it and adapt to it. [/quote]
If you call this a benefit…

[quote]RyanBrown0311 wrote:

[/quote]

Seconded.

Duly noted.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

[quote]RyanBrown0311 wrote:
flightspeed wrote:

Is there any advantage to not curling your thumbs around the bar? I’ve tried it, and its not particularly comfortable for me, but if there are some benefits, I’d probably learn it and adapt to it.

That is brutal! I am in pain just having watched that clip.