Bench Press Form?

Does anyone know of bench pressing where you are touching your chest and then pressing to about 5" off of your chest? I have heard people do these but was curious as to why this would be used rather than a regular full ROM bench bress… Any incite into this would be very appreciated.

The bottom portion is mostly chest, after that the other muscles kick in. I think that is why they do it.

I see people do the opposite. Lower the bar to about 5 inches from their chest and then go back up.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
The bottom portion is mostly chest, after that the other muscles kick in. I think that is why they do it. [/quote]

Actually, the bottom portion is mostly shoulders. The chest is being stretched deeply, but it’s the rotation and adduction of the shoulder that moves the bar. It isn’t until the shoulder is about paralell with the elbow that you get the “true” pec concentric motion (adduction).

The only reason I can see someone doing this 5" motion, is to get more stretch in their pec muscles and put some seriously unnecessary stress on the shoulder joint and rotators.