T Nation

Bench Press Form?

I am getting confused about how to bench properly. I don’t know how my elbows are supposed to be throughout the lift. Please explain how the arms/elbows are supposed to move.

Is a wider grip (pinky touching ring) better then a couple inch shorter grip? I have long arms (6 ft 4 winspan, 6 ft tall)

Can someone clear this up? If I have to change my form to the right form, would this lower the weight I could use?

it’s all you need to know

[quote]fisch wrote:
I am getting confused about how to bench properly. I don’t know how my elbows are supposed to be throughout the lift. Please explain how the arms/elbows are supposed to move.

Is a wider grip (pinky touching ring) better then a couple inch shorter grip? I have long arms (6 ft 4 winspan, 6 ft tall)

Can someone clear this up? If I have to change my form to the right form, would this lower the weight I could use?[/quote]

I would read the article posted above my Dave Tate, but just in case you are in a hurry here are your answers.

You guide the bar down to the bottom of your pecs/top abs, your hand and you elbow should be in a straight line through the lift.
(AKA YOU SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE DOING TRICEPS EXTENSION)

At your height i would at least go ring finger on the ring when maxing, i am 5’11 and when i max i make sure to get a really big arch, and go pointer on the ring. Make sure to practice different grips to see what works…
(i do 70% and under lifts with my hands right in between the ring and the smooth)

The elbows should feel natural if you do the above, if not then they should be at about 45 degrees, most important thing should be not to flare your elbows out.

It may take awhile to get your grip wider, in my case i was able to close grip bench more then regular bench, until i started benching with good form, after about 2 week of just using wider grip i got a 20 pound PR.

I have the same problem too. I read Dave Tate’s article and got most of it. But I got confused when he said to push your lower body up off the bench, as if you were doing decline bench presses, to decrease travel distance of the bar. I thought you were to keep your ass on the bench for proper form. Am I wrong?

Also does anyone have any pictures to show a slow newb what flared elbows look like.

Sorry for piggy-backing this tread.

Noticing this makes me think I may have my form wrong too.

Years back I was benching with my elbows flared out (my arms lined up with the bar essentially). Then a year or so ago I realized there was a better idea from reading some article on here or other.

Unfortunately I am probably tucking my elbows too much now. I try to keep them as close/flat to my body as possible. This does end up making me look like I am doing a triceps extension I guess. I let the bar follow a J-hook pattern, straight down then a little back to my chest.

You do not want to be doing this, it limits the weight you can do, and personally they do nothing but give me shoulder pain.
I heard bodybuilders prefer this because it targets the chest better, but to me the feel retarded.

I think the elbow placing is a lot easier once you get your bar positioning right. But a safe spot should be right in between flared elbows and close grip bench. But remember it should feel natural…

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-technique.htm

[quote]puckhead08 wrote:
I have the same problem too. I read Dave Tate’s article and got most of it. But I got confused when he said to push your lower body up off the bench, as if you were doing decline bench presses, to decrease travel distance of the bar. I thought you were to keep your ass on the bench for proper form. Am I wrong?

Also does anyone have any pictures to show a slow newb what flared elbows look like.

Sorry for piggy-backing this tread.
[/quote]

Balance on your glutes and shoulder blades, back slightly arched.

If you keep your elbows in, you can push with your lats some. Much more power and saves your shoulder joints.

having done some reading around the site and just bought starting strength i have been refining my form on alot a few lifts mostly bench and deadlift. I have found with better bench forum i am definitely stronger however when i do my 3 or 5 rep max my lower back gets really tight. Is this mist likely because im arching my back to much or is it just a matter of my body not being adjusted to the form?