Bench Press Form: Scapula Position

I have read conflicting recommendations about correct scapula positioning during the bench press. Specifically, I’m interested about whether the scapula should be depressed down or shrugged up.

Quite often I read that the scapula should be retracted and depressed. For example, in today’s article, Mike Robertson says the goal is to pin your shoulder blades back and DOWN.

In contrast, CT says in his video on bench press form to shrug the traps UP and maintain that position throughout the movement.

What are everyone’s views on the correct technique?

Thanks

This whole series is what I base my technique on

[quote]hYperTrOphY_07 wrote:
I have read conflicting recommendations about correct scapula positioning during the bench press. Specifically, I’m interested about whether the scapula should be depressed down or shrugged up.

Quite often I read that the scapula should be retracted and depressed. For example, in today’s article, Mike Robertson says the goal is to pin your shoulder blades back and DOWN.

In contrast, CT says in his video on bench press form to shrug the traps UP and maintain that position throughout the movement.

Thanks[/quote]

I am retracted and depressed for pressing.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

This whole series is what I base my technique on[/quote]

Thanks for posting!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]hYperTrOphY_07 wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

I am retracted and depressed for pressing. [/quote]

As am I. Tried CT’s method for a few months a while back and really disliked it; felt totally wrong on my shoulders. But others’ mileage may vary.